Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buyer Beware

Removed.

You need to post your name and contact details.

Then I have no problem you posting names and facts.
    Last edited by Robert; 07-09-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: I will not allow anonymous posts like this.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaiallen View Post
    Removed.

You need to post your name and contact details.

Then I have no problem you posting names and facts.
    My name is James Allen , and my contact details are [email protected]
    my contact phone is (809)848-0270.

The dealer I inferenced in the original post was Pioneer Motors USA/Caribbean , Cabarete , the owner is Oscar Girod ,

Cabarete, Puerto plata,
    Dominicn Republic:
    Phone809)571-0275
    Mobil809)977-9650
    E-mail:
    [email protected]
    1701 Whitehall Dr.
    Davie, FL.33324 USA
    Phone954)237-3849
    Fax954)474-1664
    I do not appreciate the inference that this is gossip though as my friend , who I am in the process of finding legal representation for because he is a pacifist minister is out of $3,000.00 dollars , and being an attorney from the U.S. myself , I am trying to resolve the issue.

I think posting names is dangerous in this or any Third World nation , but I will abide by your policy.

As I was saying , My friend , an American expat and a close friend purchased a 150cc Dune Buggy from the Pioneer Shop in Cabarete on April 16 , he has the receipt if you need to see that too. The friend lives in Islabon not far from the Cabana , a black American named John , his contact details are [email protected] if that helps. He had earlier purchased a motorcycle from Pioneer that had a few issues , but the owner took it back and sold it , for twice what the buyer paid for it. He then purchased the dune buggy which he drove for one week and the engine retaining bolt broke. After the bolt broke and the engine fell on the ground in the center of Cabarete , the dealer repaired it , but it never worked right since . It caught on fire , burning the drive belt 4 times , and now it wont run at all and the owner refuses to fix it stating that it is the buyer's fault because he drove too fast once from Islabon to Cabarete centro and the owner claims to have been watching him drive it the week that he had it before then engine broke.

The owner even threatened myself when I inquired. I was going to buy a few myself for a start up business had the dealer been reputable , now , since I was threatened , I am angry , and am exasperated for my friend who has little recourse in this country.

The last thing I want to say is that there was a American lady who had bought a 3 wheeler from this dealer , same quality control issues , the owner repaired it , without complaint. I get the feeling that the owner is doing this because my friend is a black American expat.

The contact number is his as I am in and out of the country on business but you can verify the details with him. I am thinking this site is for expats to be able to HELP one another and the thought of someone else getting ripped off is unbearable to me and I only want to warn others. Consumer protection isn't gossip.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you have someone go into his dealership and ask him
    If I purchase a Dune buggy from you here in the D.R., and bring it back to my home in Florida at a later date, will you honor the warranty in Florida?
    Ask for this in writing, with this in hand maybe you can tie the 2 locations together as one enterprise and file a lawsuit in the U.S.
    a BIG maybe, but maybe worth a try.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking. As the website lists them as one company , the BBB in Miami stated they have jurisdiction , although the BBB can neither force him to honor the warranty nor refund the money. The company website lists both the D.R. details and the Davie Florida details , so it seems to be one enterprise.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking. As the website lists them as one company , the BBB in Miami stated they have jurisdiction , although the BBB can neither force him to honor the warranty nor refund the money. The company website lists both the D.R. details and the Davie Florida details , so it seems to be one enterprise.
    I know when I would make a major purchase in the states, I would check with the BBB first. It is amazing how many purchases I backed away from because of a negative record. Even before I would hire a building contractor I would first check with the Corporation Commission for their track record.
    Maybe your friend will never see a dime, but he can have the satisfaction of knowing that his complaint with the BBB is public record and will show a status of being unsatisfied.......FOREVER, or until he makes things right.
    When he doe's this, send a copy to the owner, but I think the BBB does this for you.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buggy Toys

I get the feeling that the owner is doing this because my friend is a black American expat.
    I don't think so.
    Customer protection in this country hardly exists, once the money is paid (especially for used items) it's all your problem.
    I am even surprised that the seller accepted some responsibility and straightened out some problems.

BTW, do not expect too much from those 150 cc playthings, they are not really meant for the DR and its traffic or conditions.

donP

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree now , but something NEW that doesn't even work for 90 days ? I viewed him as he drove from Islabon to Cabarete Centro , never further , 90 days and it falls apart ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadworthiness

I agree now , but something NEW that doesn't even work for 90 days ? I viewed him as he drove from Islabon to Cabarete Centro , never further , 90 days and it falls apart ?
    These Chinese things come in large cardboard boxes and are then assembled here.
    God knows whether all bolts and nuts are used. Often lock washers and lock nuts are not put in the right places and a good mechanic should check for roadworthiness before the first ride.

donP

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    What did the warranty say?
    The owner stated six months.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    These Chinese things come in large cardboard boxes and are then assembled here.
    God knows whether all bolts and nuts are used. Often lock washers and lock nuts are not put in the right places and a good mechanic should check for roadworthiness before the first ride.

donP
    ALL bikes come in boxes and are "assembeld" here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast