US$500,000 seized from passenger at Las Americas Int. Airport

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Headlines, July 4th..,

Customs authorities and airport security agents on Saturday seized US$529,613 from a passenger trying to bring the cash in from the USA through Las Americas airport.
The passenger, Jose Alexander Lopez Martinez, was carrying the notes in two suitcases, according to the customs report. He had arrived from New York on Delta flight 493.
The operation to seize and count the money was supervised by Giovanni Arias from the Customs department, general manager Eduardo Ozuna and Colonel Genaro Rafael Tejada, in charge of CESA security services in the airport.
According to reports, L?pez Mart?nez was restless and nervous thus arousing suspicions and was detained for questioning by the authorities. The report also alleges that Martinez attempted to bribe the customs officers not to open the cases.
Martinez claimed the cash was to buy a farm but he is now being questioned and investigations are being made into the source of the funds.

See, it's not all about Sosua.....but, probably could have gotten away with it in POP airport....what a dumba**.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Buy a farm?

jug3zn.gif

He could buy a small barrio with that much cash! ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yesterday I was thinking if Yuca grows here in NC?? I have a 1/4 acre backyard and Dominican population is growing fast here in Raleigh if I can plant yuca in my back yard I can go to the flea market on saturdays and this way earn some extra $$$ to wire to DR for my retirement.

Just a though as yuca is very easy to grow....

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It should if plante in late March or April. Tu sabes que coge como 5-6 meses para parir bien....
I probably does not like cold weather. Harvest in September.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Off topic and totally irrelevant, but we have a garden here in NJ and my husband planted some guandules because he misses having the fresh ones. He babied them for a long time waiting for them to be ready to pick, and one day went out there and found every pod shredded/destroyed by squirrels. It's like they tried the first one and didn't like it, so they just kept on, hoping there was a sweet pea in one of them.

I told him if they mess with my fig tree again this year, the shotgun is coming out.

We've tried ever squirrel-away product there is, nothing helps :ermm: 20 years ago you never even saw a squirrel on this island, they certainly are hearty.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
North Carolina has horrible red soil generally in the peidmont (Raleigh) area that is very unproductive. In order to that your garden is productive you need to add at least 1' of toposil. If you are lucky maybe you are in a depression that will have a lot of natural black soil.

I was in Fayetteville for 5 years and know the soils well.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I never understood the point of coming in with cash which you know is illegal above $10K. Why wouldnt you just blow a few weekends driving around NY from changing the green into USPS Money Orders at various POs and buying travelers checks? You could even wire yourself the money via WU or Vigo and pick it up when the flight arrives. You could Xray an entire box of travelers checks and money orders and all it looks like is loose pages in a book.

$500K takes up 2 large suitcases, but you can come with a bunch of prepaid debit cards and money orders, fund transfers, money wires and never arouse while suspicion looking like some button down tourist.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You have to wonder how someone so DUMB got his hands on 500 large.
He couldn't find a safer way????? I wonder who will end up with all that CASH...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
A few years ago in Washington Heights the police confiscated a van which upon examination had $600K in it. The idiot parked the car in front of a fire plug. And when the patrol car did a U he bolted and left the van there
Another time, the Sanitation Department went to pick up a couch that was placed on the street in the truck. They couldnt pick it up so they started to dismantle it. In the couch where 50 kilos(100lbs) of cocaine.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
North Carolina has horrible red soil generally in the peidmont (Raleigh) area that is very unproductive. In order to that your garden is productive you need to add at least 1' of toposil. If you are lucky maybe you are in a depression that will have a lot of natural black soil.

I was in Fayetteville for 5 years and know the soils well.
Chip, pay attention!! In DR yuca grows everywhere next time you go to "La linea Noroeste" take look how it grows in the very dry and non fertile Dominican soil.
Hey I'm a hard farm worker..
Check this video.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2pIw9GM9Xg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2pIw9GM9Xg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

JJ

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Off topic and totally irrelevant, but we have a garden here in NJ and my husband planted some guandules because he misses having the fresh ones. He babied them for a long time waiting for them to be ready to pick, and one day went out there and found every pod shredded/destroyed by squirrels. It's like they tried the first one and didn't like it, so they just kept on, hoping there was a sweet pea in one of them.

I told him if they mess with my fig tree again this year, the shotgun is coming out.

We've tried ever squirrel-away product there is, nothing helps :ermm: 20 years ago you never even saw a squirrel on this island, they certainly are hearty.

AE

Cat's, children and dogs generally do the trick! A hunting dog is an excellent squirrel chaser. Of course you should always put some fencing around your plot.