solar power - reviews

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
It would be interesting if people that have solar systems could post their findings on the types of systems they are using - there doesnt seem to be a thorough examination of them here - most people I speak to tell me its too expensive to install and will take about 20 years to see any benefit .

who is happy with their system ,what make is it,what are you running off it and a rough cost.....I dont ask much lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
wow thats almost the cost of a house
Which is why solar is not a viable option for the world, at least not until the cost per kw drops about 75%.

$50,000 will buy me power from edenorte for over 33 years.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I assume we are talking about photovoltaics. While I lived and worked in the DR in the late 90's, I lived 100% with solar. Lights, fan, washing machine, blender, radio can be done with a 200-300 watt system (almost a KW/hr to a little more a day) depending on the number of people in the house. US$2000-$3000 depending on design. A DC refrigerator with separate panels and batteries US$3000+. Solar DC water pump with panels - depends but probably starts at US$1000.

When you install a pv system 1) you are purchasing 20 years of electricity with the panels (batteries are expensive to maintain), and 2) families who use PV must use energy efficient devices and be concerned with conserving the energy they produce. IF you are will to spend a little more money, you can over design the system for basic daily use.

With the electrical situation the way it is in the DR, having reliable energy has it's own value. For certain uses and applications, it makes perfect sense.

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, Tom.

FTR: Tom F knows what he is talking about. And if you're in an area largely off the grid or with truly abysmal service solar makes sense.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
From the Dominican perspective, probably 10,000 rural stand-alone systems have been installed in the country since the mid 80's. They are normally 50-75 watt systems which charge a car battery to provide basic lighting, radio and a b/w tv. I can't say how many of these systems are still working today, but photovoltaics has been an energy source used for some time now.

If you look, you will find systems on schools, community centers, and clinics in various parts of the country. Community water pumping systems have been built in various areas. Phone companies have used solar panels and are used for their relay stations and then there were these rural phones installed first by a Japanese group in the 80's and others later by other groups.

I should do a solar energy tour of the Dominican Republic and show people what has been done.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
there is a slight discrepancy here usd 3,ooo or usd 50,ooo- its all very confusing
The difference is the size of the ststem. One can live very modestly with a smaller system and colse monioring of use. One can use solar as a total substitution vs. the power grid.

A substantial difference.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i had never heard of photovoltaics..... so anything is an education to me , I will do more research into it

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I was thinking of a bit of lighting and hot water or maybe a pool pump , not a whole house system

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
250 watts of solar panels produces about 1 kw/hr of usable energy a day. A basic comfortable home with 2-3 people could satisfy all their conservative needs with a 500 watt system which is 60 kw/hrs a month. 1/10 of what I use in New Jersey when the AC is running.

I refer to photovoltaics because solar energy also includes thermal (heating of water) which there are various types; and passive, which is built into the design of a building. Anyone in the DR who wants hot water, using thermal solar is a no brainer.

Photovoltaic materials are evolving and with nano technology, efficiency rates of solar panels will increase some day. If subsidies for fossil fuels were ever included in the cost to the custumer, solar and other renewable energy becomes very competive.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
250 watts of solar panels produces about 1 kw/hr of usable energy a day. A basic comfortable home with 2-3 people could satisfy all their conservative needs with a 500 watt system which is 60 kw/hrs a month. 1/10 of what I use in New Jersey when the AC is running.

I refer to photovoltaics because solar energy also includes thermal (heating of water) which there are various types; and passive, which is built into the design of a building. Anyone in the DR who wants hot water, using thermal solar is a no brainer.

Photovoltaic materials are evolving and with nano technology, efficiency rates of solar panels will increase some day. If subsidies for fossil fuels were ever included in the cost to the custumer, solar and other renewable energy becomes very competive.
For perspective, we use approx 20kw a day and we aren't energy hogs. The hwh is, but that is turned on as needed.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'm looking into converting some of my lighting and hot water heater to solar. Given LED technology which uses so little electricity, lighting would be easy.

In some countries, persons using solar power in their homes could "sell excess energy back to the grid". (In quotes, because that was the way it was described to me.)

I'm going to make a wild assumption here and say I doubt that is possible here at this time. But is it a possibility for the future?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Net metering does not exist in the DR. You may be able to sell off a little of your excess energy to your neighbor.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Solar.

Freddy of Freddy Multiservice in Sosua installed our panels, controler and proper breakers. Freddy speaks english and is very good. He did not cut corners and the installation was to good standards. He advised on several other ways to maximize our systems. He is not cheap but we found his work and follow through to be worth it.

Freddy Vasquez
Freddy Multiservice - Bienvenidos a Freddy Multiservice
Cel: 809-281-6192

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one of my uncles has a set of solar systems to power his property. he spent about 7 million pesos, i believe, and they still do not cover 100% of his needs...

also, my mother in law has solar panels, well, more like solar tubes up on her roof. she got them from ochoa and god knows, i've forgotten the price... :(
in any case they just about power up water heater.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I saw a solar water heater in Ferreteria Americana for around RD$70k, but this was a couple of years ago. I would like to install one at some point.