Ok - so what is missing?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Seems that the comedor name suggestion has obviously brought up food - so what do you think is missing in the take away/comedor restaurants in PoP?

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Seems that the comedor name suggestion has obviously brought up food - so what do you think is missing in the take away/comedor restaurants in PoP?

yea, A real American hamburger, hot dog and french fries place....

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
excuse me, but yea, a real fat hamburger patty. And if you serve hotdogs please an all beef hot dog with a tight casing, like Nathans, Boars Head, Sabretts or Hebrew National. None of that fat sloppy grotesque, cow hoof, tongue and nose dog you find here.

with good bread...and Dominicans have NEVER heard of mustard(but dont get lame ass Yellow Mustard but the good Spicy Brown Mustard). They seem to put ketchup and mayonaisse on everything.

May I suggest Hot wings? Go to a liquor store and buy some Root Beer and Cream soda(if you can find it)

Its a take out joint right? So what about side dishes? Macaroni & Cheese(baked, not instant). Potato Salad. Baked Beans. Macaroni Salad.

Dessert? Sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie...any pie like home, cherry, blueberry, apple(dutch o no), mince meat, lemon(merengue o no), coconut custard, pecan, red velvet cake, carrot cake, hmmm, what else?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
whos your market? dominicans? or gringos? or both? big difference in expectations, needs and wants there.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
That is critical! Who you marketing to???? If it is RacerX how much must he spend daily to keep you open???? Just reading his post I am drooling all over my computer. Please pass the malt vinegar for my fries!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
excuse me, but i like to eat. and modongo, -fongo, mangu, sancocho dont do it for me. Besides who asks for menu advice in catering to Dominicans? Just serve the same stuff as the guy across the street.

Reactions: waytogo

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
RacerX - did not intend to offend you. I was saying that tongue in cheek. I am WITH YOU. I would kill for a piece of cherry pie! If this person opened this kind of restaurant in POP I would go there at least twice a WEEK!!!!!!

But, alas, I fear this will not be an expat restaurant but for locals - DAMN DAMN DAMN....... poor us...... ;););)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, if you re serving pizza? I got a name and suggestion. The name: Pizzalicious. The Dominicans will pronounce it wrong. Pisa-lee-see-o-ewws. But you know Calzones would go great for me right now. I dont care about strombolis. And real East Coast pizza, thin crust with the thick cheese. None of this sweet puffy crap from Dominos or Pizza Hut. Its like a 1/2 doughnut and 1/2 pizza.

But seriously, if its for locals I wont go there, because I dont know what you could do any better than what they already do. Thats why Chinese people dont actually serve Chinese food. Chofun my ass! That stuff is 1960s California hippie food.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yea, A real American hamburger, hot dog and french fries place....

Playero sells ground meat in 2 grades.... one is leaner than the other.

We bought some and served "burgs for a lunch party one weekend...Mustard, everything (Dijon/mayo mix even!)
It was ahuge hit w/ everybody... all gringos.

So whats hard about that? Playero, Nacional or wherever for the ground meat and fatten up the patties.
Weber grill and you're in heaven.

We did it once and then again and again....

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Playero sells ground meat in 2 grades.... one is leaner than the other.

We bought some and served "burgs for a lunch party one weekend...Mustard, everything (Dijon/mayo mix even!)
It was ahuge hit w/ everybody... all gringos.

So whats hard about that? Playero, Nacional or wherever for the ground meat and fatten up the patties.
Weber grill and you're in heaven.

We did it once and then again and again....

WW
I have found the lean ground beef is way too tough and sometimes tastes gamey and the 80% too fat.

So I buy equal amounts of each and mix well 50/50 by hand. The meat is theoretically just under 90% lean and much better.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Yea, if you re serving pizza? I got a name and suggestion. The name: Pizzalicious. .

Hey, this may be way out there, but a good name for a pizza place on the North coast........Pizzaa$$, at least the Gringos would understand.

John wiliamz

Sep 25, 2010
you need to practice the art of saying no. Of course, there are always things in our lives that must be done, and constantly need our attention. What could you let go of for now, how could you ease some of the pressure and burdens you face daily..

Last edited by a moderator:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
excuse me, but yea, a real fat hamburger patty. And if you serve hotdogs please an all beef hot dog with a tight casing, like Nathans, Boars Head, Sabretts or Hebrew National. None of that fat sloppy grotesque, cow hoof, tongue and nose dog you find here.

with good bread...and Dominicans have NEVER heard of mustard(but dont get lame ass Yellow Mustard but the good Spicy Brown Mustard). They seem to put ketchup and mayonaisse on everything.

May I suggest Hot wings? Go to a liquor store and buy some Root Beer and Cream soda(if you can find it)

Its a take out joint right? So what about side dishes? Macaroni & Cheese(baked, not instant). Potato Salad. Baked Beans. Macaroni Salad.

Dessert? Sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie...any pie like home, cherry, blueberry, apple(dutch o no), mince meat, lemon(merengue o no), coconut custard, pecan, red velvet cake, carrot cake, hmmm, what else?

You may as well take whole USA down there. Everybody crave the food they grew up with.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Best hamburger and philly steak sandwich in the DR was TROPIBURGER on the Malecon in POP in the 80s. Very popular. Dunno what happened to it, or why no one does it again. DR has some great beef, even tho' Erikas carnicera is no longer on San Felipe.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR has some great beef
:eek:

Whoa! Talk about opinions varying!

The worst...and most inconsistent...beef I've EVER had is local beef.

Cattle are free range-they eat weeds and feral grasses. They are not grain or even hay fed.

They are often field slaughtered and the meat goes direct to market.

Cold storage and aging is almost non-existent.

And the cuts themselves are bizarre, at least to NA standards.

I'll buy ground beef locally, but that's about it. Steaks and even churrasco are imported.

Now pork is an entirely different story!:cheeky: I have had some of the best pork EVER in the DR...

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
:eek:

Whoa! Talk about opinions varying!

Cold storage and aging is almost non-existent.

And the cuts themselves are bizarre, at least to NA standards.

Now pork is an entirely different story!:cheeky: I have had some of the best pork EVER in the DR...

Thanks for bringing this up. The way you go around this is going to a Local small town and figuring out cuando la van a pesar and get the Goods fresh. Maybe take a Cooler.? I've always let my Uncles handle this but I just realised they're transporting this in the trunk and they're cheap bastards who think AC uses up too much Gas. SMH