Free dentistry in Puerto Plata...July 12-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
No old news, News for Today, July 9, 2010

Free dental care is to be offered once again this year to Puerto Plata residents.
The university (CURA -UASD ) will host the fourth Spanish Dominican Dental Day from 12th to 30th of July. Last year 6,400 patients benefited from this program which is operated by Spanish dentists including 66 from the Universities of Salamanca and Seville. These professionals are joined by 40 Dominican colleagues and together they expect to treat about 500 people each day for the three week period with patients arriving from 6:00am.

Treatments available will include; ultrasonic prophylaxis (cleaning ), children 's dentistry , oral surgery, dentures, periodontics, cavities, among others.

And JD, please don't shoot the messenger......

Aug 21, 2007
I am involved with another clinic to be held the final week of July in Imbert. The clinic I am involved with has (only?) 35 U.S. dentists and medical professionals from the University of Buffalo, U.S., and tickets are limited and available only from a key individual in Imbert.

The clinic you mentioned is much needed for those within and east of Puerto Plata. So, please give further details, as I have had many inquiries about dental help from locals as far east as Cabarete.

Thank you for posting.

Lindsey

Reactions: waytogo
Aug 21, 2007
The information I need includes the location of the clinic and whether patients can simple show up to receive treatment. If not, how can they be placed upon the patient list?

Thanks for whatever part you serve in this project. It's good to know when others are working to help the less fortunate.

Sorry about the second post. For some reason, part of my original post was missing.

Lindsey

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am going out tomorrow for lunch with my dental friends from OrthoOral in Santiago, I'm sure they will have the info you desire because they are also involved with projects like this.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
E

engineerfg

Isn't there basically free dentistry here for the poor people? Salud Publica offers free dentistry no?

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Hi,
I have a friend who lives in Sosua...can he take advantage of this free dentistry? And who can he contact for information? He speaks spanish...
Thanks!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
IF it is like last year - people started arriving outside the university west of POP at 5 am to stand in line. Some waited all day and were not seen but were given preference the following day.

I have a question: How does anyone know that the people being treated are really in need? HOw do they check? Just curious.

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
Does anyone have a reliable dentist that speaks good english in either Sosua or Cabarete as will be residing in cabarete. Also am looking for a good family doctor (english speaking)

E

engineerfg

Not to dwell on this point, but I don't really understand the part of this event that's called 'Free'. I thought Salud Publica dental work was basically free socialized dental care for everyone no? My friend who works at SP says that the patients pay a very very small user fee, and if they can't afford that it's usually waived. The catch is they use amalgam instead of fancy resin and other such difference like not nice equipement and maybe not nice 'experience' as a private dental office. but the work is basically always free. If that's the case, how is this a 'free' clinic that people need to line up at 5am for? Isn't dental work here basically free siempre?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dental services are kinda free, yes. but they have limitation just like hospitals that cut off limbs instead of saving them as it is cheaper. free dentists will rather extract than treat...

Aug 21, 2007
dental services are kinda free, yes. but they have limitation just like hospitals that cut off limbs instead of saving them as it is cheaper. free dentists will rather extract than treat...

And if you don't have a cedula.....you might be out of luck! (Haitians and their children have problems being treated.....hope I don't start another hot debate....)

Lindsey

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
And if you don't have a cedula.....you might be out of luck! (Haitians and their children have problems being treated.....hope I don't start another hot debate....)

Lindsey

You probably just saved a lot of people from waiting in a long line for a long time for nothing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we passes the university in the morning. lots of people waiting outside and the pavement packed with motos.
looks like they are well organized because there is also armed police/military, comes in handy...

Status
Not open for further replies.