Robberies in Cabrera

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Has anybody heard of a rash of robberies... even violence in Cabrera.. recently?

We are not there just now but have heard through friends that there have been crime problems...including shootings.

Any reports to report?

Will I need to buy a speargun ?

WW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps a Sten gun might be better. The cops just had a shootout with some guys robbing a French coujple. Killed two of them in two separate incidents, they wounded a Major.

Not a good thing for that nice little town...

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats what I heard..... Major is doing well from my reports.

Really odd stuff in that pueblo..... quiet is an understatement.

WW

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
I have a house there, I will ask my friend In cabrera

I will email her and see what she say's. Will give the onnews later.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
French in Cabo Franc?s

The cops just had a shootout with some guys robbing a French coujple.

I read two reports but neither mentioned the French couple.

"La banda que la noche del mi?rcoles pretend?a atracar un centro hotelero en la zona tur?stica de Caya Clara ..."

"Los sospechosos cayeron a tiros en la comunidad La Piscina de Cabo Franc?s Viejo en Cabrera..."

Of course, there could be more detailed reports somewhere.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I heard that a "planta" was stolen.

I mean WTF? Was there no security? A generator?

That is no "sneak in steal and run" job.

WW

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Yes its true. the police killed two robbers/attackers in Cabrera. They were responding to a call for help when en route they encountered the bad guys. A gun battle ensued and the major(of Cabrera) was injured. Reinforcements were brought in from surrounding communities and in the early dawn the following morning they found, shot and killed the attackers, who had been holed up in an outbuilding of a nearby villa.
Word on the street is they were from the capital and perhaps one(unconfirmed) was a cop. Congrats to the police for responding with force. I hope its sends a message throughout the community to the criminal element within. Unfortunately, Cabrera has been suffering from crime and delinquency for several years. The drug trade and all its accompanying horrific side effects is alive and well here, as in the rest of the country. It is difficult for one to be optimistic about the future.

Reactions: donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yikes, I must be living in a hole.

We live in El Breton/Cabrera 5-6 months of the year and never worry.
We have seen none of the drug-related issues you mention.

We sleep without bars, doors open , breeze flowing.
Yes, dogs, watchman, Dominican neighbors but no "fortification" to speak of, just a barbed wire fence... more for the dogs than to do anything else.

None of our friends have problems either.

We overlook Cabo Francis Viejo.

Where is all of this going on?

WW

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Well Billy, for example, the arms used by the bad guys in the police shootout were stolen during another robbery of a gringo in Loma Linda, just above Cabrera, last week. The week before, a foreigner in La Entrada was robbed and beaten badly. There are countless drug points of sale in our little town, known to everyone, yet they function without problems- connect the dots-. The breakdown of the fabric of a small town living en paz is upon us and you only need to ask any long term residents of Cabrera to get an ear full. But our situation is not unique. It is Island wide. Small towns and pueblitos all over the DR are experiencing the same situation. Am I leaving? No. Do I still love it here? Absolutely. Comparatively speaking, Cabrera is still 1000 times better than the cities or the tourist zones in regards to crime and safety. But--I am not optimistic about the future, unfortunately.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whereabouts are you Miss Kozy?

We are in El Breton

I'll check with my house people and manager to see if I can find out more.
I thought there might be more to report here.

I'll need to clean my "rose colored" glasses... :-((

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect it'll get worse before it gets better.

Less money flowing into the DR, especially the tourist areas.

The rats in the cage need to be fed. More people chasing fewer dollars.

Tourists getting robbed and beaten, the word WILL get around in the travel community and the stories will take an exagerated life of their own.

Not good.

I love El Breton, what a beautiful place! :classic:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Truth Unwanted

Tourists getting robbed and beaten, the word WILL get around in the travel community and the stories will take an exagerated life of their own.
Exaggerated?
Many of those 'incidents' do not even make it to the papers and are even deleted from certain message boards.

For example, I had not heard or read about that:
__the arms used by the bad guys in the police shootout were stolen during another robbery of a gringo in Loma Linda, just above Cabrera, last week. The week before, a foreigner in La Entrada was robbed and beaten badly.

donP

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
The couple that were robbed are good friends of ours here in Cabrera. They do have a security guy, but he was not there at the time... although he was the one that managed to inform the police after Cathy (the lady of the couple) managed to call him. They also have a guard dog, but she was first hit by the robbers and later poisoned.... but thankfully survived! The robbers did not manage to take much at all from the house though... even after being there for about an hour and a half.

We live in the centre of Cabrera and still feel very safe... especially compared to a lot of other towns or cities in the world! Luckily we are surrounded by neighbours, so these helps with the comfort.. whereas our friends that were robbed are quite secluded up there. Either way, these things do happen, but really not that often... certainly no more than anywhere else I've lived... from a town of 2000 people in Canada or on the outskirts of NYC.

Like someone else mentioned, the robbers were not from Cabrera and if you ask anyone around Cabrera, everyone was so upset to hear about the robbery and the shooting of our police chief... and later, very happy to hear that two of them were killed. People truly care and look out for each other here. There is an amazing sense of community and family, which is one of the main reasons we now call it home! :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Really glad to hear that everybody is alright.

We all want that number that he called.

My fear is that I dial the equivalent of 911 and nobody answers.

What is the number to call that a human will answer?

WW

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
The day after this happened, my husband and I realized the same thing... who would we call?! So we now have the number on our fridge. I am not 100% positive that this is the number that was called... but if I find out any different, I will let you know.

Cabrera Police - 809 589 7305

Status
Not open for further replies.