Translation

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
was looking translate info from a DR school webpage, when a poster pointed me out to Google translate. from there I said why not install the Google web browser "Google chrome" hey wow! this thing translates into most languages. for example from Spanish to English or French, Haitian Creole, or Chinese. Really put the world into your hands. Next I'm going to look for websites in China.

Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

is there anything better out there?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think I might understand your post, but possibly not. Google Translate and any translation site that is free and instant can cause more confusion that clarity.
You will get a literal translation which is not always good, you have to learn how to use them if you insist on using them rather than putting the hours in on actual translation education for yourself.

English into Spanish is not a possible literal translation although 50% of the time it works.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Anastacio is right. Do the translation from English to Latin Spanish...and then do that same translation back from Spanish to English and its hilarious what comes out of it :bunny:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and that google crome bar with all it's plug in features will slow down your computer significantly and leve thousands of electronic marks on it on daily bases.
I avoid such features like he$$
Mike

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
While the translation may not be perfect, it is nonetheless very useful.
For example I went on the yahoo china web page cn.yahoo.com
This is what I got:
枪杀交警嫌犯曾斗三名劫匪 笔记本曝其雄心壮志
put the same link into Google Chrome web browser, it identifies the webpage as Chinese and ask me if I wanted to translate the all web page. I selected English
here is the result
Fighting traffic police suspect shot and killed three
Without this I would not even try looking at this webpage.
To keep it DR related I went to the claro web page

Es la combinaci?n de nuestros innovadores servicios de comunicaci?n y entretenimiento.

Translation
It is the combination of our innovative communications and entertainment services.

If you are an English speaking person who do not speak Spanish after you install google chrome and the languages features, I d like to know what you think.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No one is going to install this stuff, it is well known it only serves a purpose to a point and most on this board live and speak sufficient Dominican to know the purpose would be a negative rather and helpful!
My 2cents!!

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
The point of wither or not he should install or if it's ethically correct is moot. He didn't ask that.

was looking translate info from a DR school webpage, when a poster pointed me out to Google translate. ...
is there anything better out there?

And the simple answer is... No.
Of course a human is always better but for automatic translations google translate is the best.

I don't install toolbars b/c of grave privacy concerns but I do have that page bookmarked.

Google translate is hands down the best automated, much better than babelfish or what have you. They have really honed down their system because of the huge advantage they have over others by having terabytes of webpages in thier servers. They made some fancy algorithim to identify how to translate sentences in a more colloquial fashion.

So you can quit your search because trust me I've looked and have not found anything better.

Now if you want a true academic spanish-to-english and english-to-spanish program look up Ultralingua. Even though I speak the lingo down here every now and then I'll stumble upon a complex word I can't digest and it's saved my butt many times. (It's not free, though it can be found for free...)

P.S. Forgot to add that one of the best parts about Ultralingua (besides being a true academic dictionary) is that it's OFFLINE. Meaning you don't need the internet to use it. Now that's beautiful don't you think? You know how the power/internet can be down here :cheeky:

P.P.S You can even get a klingon dictionary. Or a esperanto, if you're into that kind of thing. Hehe.

Last edited: