travel solo

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Hello.

Is it foolish for an American to travel to the D.R. alone, knowing not a soul there, and never having visited before?

Curious.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No it is normal to visit the Republic alone. If you are an idependant visitior (not A/I) then you in the majority these days (IMO if a solo traveller). People are more and more confident to take on the country than before.
It is a wonderful country, end to end, if you can then avoid the A/I offers and see it properly thats when you have the best experiences like anywhere. If you are not that well travelled then take an A/I trip first and absorb some of the culture and people under supervision. When comfy, you will be ready to go wherever you want with confidence.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hello.

Is it foolish for an American to travel to the D.R. alone, knowing not a soul there, and never having visited before?

Curious.

In case you are wondering, Americans are well liked by Dominicans. You will find no issues here because you are American.

The suggestion you go to an A/I for at least your first visit is a good one. Get acquainted, then decide what you want to do on future visits. A/I hotels often offer very attractive packages, including airfare.

Waytogo should have said food and drink (usually local beverages, i.e. beer and rum)

angelfish

Jul 5, 2010
If you have the funds, stay at an AI. Safe but constrained. Caters to couples and families. You will feel very awkward alone at an AI. They will discourage you from leaving the property and literally strike fear in your heart if you wander off.

What is your objective? Cities? Beaches? Vacation? Ex-pat?

Do NOT stay in major cities alone. Some popular beach towns are safe solo. Do you have any travel experience? There is ZERO CRIME in Punta Cana.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
It all depends on you and your abilities.

Are you male or female?
Young or older?
Independent or adventuresome or conservative or timid?

What are you looking for in a visit?
Museums, history, culture, beach, bars, shopping?

Do you prefer a bigger hotel or a small boutique hotel?
Do you speak Spanish fluently, a few words, or none at all?
Have you travelled much in the developing world?

I am a 45 year old adventuresome male looking for history and preferring to stay in small b&b's. I travel alone all over the world, developed and developing countries, and have never had a problem. I try to learn a few things about the country before I go, purchasing a travel book and learning a few phrases, but I am fluent in Spanish and English. HOWEVER, what works for me may be totally wrong for you.

PS. This thread will probably be moved to the travel forum before long, and we can continue the conversation there. If you don't want to post private information about yourself, send me or one of the other persons on here a private message, and perhaps we can help you make an informed decision so that you might a wonderful time here in Paradise.

ray718

May 28, 2010
DR is addictive

If you're stay at an A.I. you be fine. try to make friends at the resort and venture out to the nearby disco-techque. just to warn you nightclub is a stripclub in DR. At the disco-techque, you'll find "working girls" in the crowd looking for a date, and at the beach these same girls a grab at you. this is where you need to be careful, because if the "few bad individuals" notice you are alone-they try to take advantage of you or worse. You will generally have a great time and come back. Just don't fall in love the minute you get off the plane, because beautiful women are in abundance in DR. Have fun and be Safe!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ray718 assumed the OP is male and posted accordingly. What he should have also said that at the hotels there are lots of young, handsome male employees who have their eye open for new female arrivals, no matter their age or attractiveness. I wish I had a dollar for every woman who has posted on this board about falling in love with one of these guys. Great for the guys unless 2 of the women they have on their string show up at the same time.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
ray718 assumed the OP is male and posted accordingly. What he should have also said that at the hotels there are lots of young, handsome male employees who have their eye open for new female arrivals, no matter their age or attractiveness. I wish I had a dollar for every woman who has posted on this board about falling in love with one of these guys. Great for the guys unless 2 of the women they have on their string show up at the same time.

I think the thought should be "Don't get too cozy with the 'animation' Team"

They are paid to be cozy with visitors and sometimes they profit a little on the side because of it, when they get the chance.

ray718

May 28, 2010
i read another posting which was a male traveling on his own. ken is right that you will find both sexes are incredibly good looking and friendly.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If you have the funds, stay at an AI. Safe but constrained. Caters to couples and families. You will feel very awkward alone at an AI. They will discourage you from leaving the property and literally strike fear in your heart if you wander off.

What is your objective? Cities? Beaches? Vacation? Ex-pat?

Do NOT stay in major cities alone. Some popular beach towns are safe solo. Do you have any travel experience? There is ZERO CRIME in Punta Cana.

I would say an AI package is the cheapest way to stay anywhere for a week or 2 of an 1st visit.
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think the thought should be "Don't get too cozy with the 'animation' Team"

They are paid to be cozy with visitors and sometimes they profit a little on the side because of it, when they get the chance.

yep,
and for the advantage of ""Tips"" they go with either side,
with the females, with the Males and also in any mix, what ever suits the purse.
Mike

latka

Feb 13, 2009
I am male.
I am interested in the people
I LOVE interacting with beautiful women, am not a "party person", and am deathly afraid of prostitutes, or, more specifically. diseases they are known to carry.

I am interested in the culture.

Thanks all for your input thus far.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I live in Miami and have been to the DR twice... I love it there so much that I'm considering going alone because it is so cheap to go to Santo Domingo from the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area!! But I guess after reading this thread I might not as I don't like the idea of AI's I like interacting with the locals.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
no AI's in SD, but there is close to Boca Chica ..... lots of cheap places to stay in SD and its perfect for a single traveler, even if its a first time to the DR, knowing a little Spanish helps, and be real careful of who befriends you.....

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Welll living in miami I'm fluent in Spanish after having been twice I kinda can see through people's BS, besides if you hang with the dogs you wallow with the fleas... I've kept in contact with at least 3 people that have met in SD that I plan on meeting with again... I'm not a big fan of AI's the way I see it is I can stay in SD but go to Boca Chica during the day, I would get bored just staying in Punta Cana or Puerto Plata when there's so much to do in SD!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Study long...study wrong...

Your research has been going on for almost a year and a half now.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/726640-post1.html

Anything that you haven't gotten from this board by now probably won't come until you finally book yourself a flight and just go. I could describe the DR from my experiences until I'm blue in the face and it won't make a bit of difference once you get your feet on the ground there.

Your experiences will be unique to your personality and perspective and I suggest that you don't waste another minute of time "studying". Just go.

Pull up Kayak, plug in the 4 major airports (SDQ, STI, POP, PUJ) for hotel and air. Go with the best deal this trip, then work your way around to the other DR destinations.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Wow he has been debating this decision for awhile... I love DR, I've done Europe and Brazil before but the DR is amazing... every street you go on there's merengue or bachata playing! Everyone is so warm and friendly. There are a few bad apples but if you're street smart you shouldn't have a problem. I just came back from my 2nd trip 3 weeks ago but just might get back down there for labor day weekend! Or Costa Rica... can't decide, lol!