Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: travel solo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default travel solo

Hello.

Is it foolish for an American to travel to the D.R. alone, knowing not a soul there, and never having visited before?

Curious.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No it is normal to visit the Republic alone. If you are an idependant visitior (not A/I) then you in the majority these days (IMO if a solo traveller). People are more and more confident to take on the country than before.
    It is a wonderful country, end to end, if you can then avoid the A/I offers and see it properly thats when you have the best experiences like anywhere. If you are not that well travelled then take an A/I trip first and absorb some of the culture and people under supervision. When comfy, you will be ready to go wherever you want with confidence.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. What is meant by "A/I"?

Forgive my ignorance.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

All Inclusive.....Hotel normally by the ocean where the price includes food.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you both.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by latka View Post
    Hello.

Is it foolish for an American to travel to the D.R. alone, knowing not a soul there, and never having visited before?

Curious.
    In case you are wondering, Americans are well liked by Dominicans. You will find no issues here because you are American.

The suggestion you go to an A/I for at least your first visit is a good one. Get acquainted, then decide what you want to do on future visits. A/I hotels often offer very attractive packages, including airfare.

Waytogo should have said food and drink (usually local beverages, i.e. beer and rum)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have the funds, stay at an AI. Safe but constrained. Caters to couples and families. You will feel very awkward alone at an AI. They will discourage you from leaving the property and literally strike fear in your heart if you wander off.

What is your objective? Cities? Beaches? Vacation? Ex-pat?

Do NOT stay in major cities alone. Some popular beach towns are safe solo. Do you have any travel experience? There is ZERO CRIME in Punta Cana.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on you and your abilities.

Are you male or female?
    Young or older?
    Independent or adventuresome or conservative or timid?

What are you looking for in a visit?
    Museums, history, culture, beach, bars, shopping?

Do you prefer a bigger hotel or a small boutique hotel?
    Do you speak Spanish fluently, a few words, or none at all?
    Have you travelled much in the developing world?

I am a 45 year old adventuresome male looking for history and preferring to stay in small b&b's. I travel alone all over the world, developed and developing countries, and have never had a problem. I try to learn a few things about the country before I go, purchasing a travel book and learning a few phrases, but I am fluent in Spanish and English. HOWEVER, what works for me may be totally wrong for you.

PS. This thread will probably be moved to the travel forum before long, and we can continue the conversation there. If you don't want to post private information about yourself, send me or one of the other persons on here a private message, and perhaps we can help you make an informed decision so that you might a wonderful time here in Paradise.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DR is addictive

If you're stay at an A.I. you be fine. try to make friends at the resort and venture out to the nearby disco-techque. just to warn you nightclub is a stripclub in DR. At the disco-techque, you'll find "working girls" in the crowd looking for a date, and at the beach these same girls a grab at you. this is where you need to be careful, because if the "few bad individuals" notice you are alone-they try to take advantage of you or worse. You will generally have a great time and come back. Just don't fall in love the minute you get off the plane, because beautiful women are in abundance in DR. Have fun and be Safe!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

ray718 assumed the OP is male and posted accordingly. What he should have also said that at the hotels there are lots of young, handsome male employees who have their eye open for new female arrivals, no matter their age or attractiveness. I wish I had a dollar for every woman who has posted on this board about falling in love with one of these guys. Great for the guys unless 2 of the women they have on their string show up at the same time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast