Electricity - what happens when the money runs out?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It has been pointed out in the thread about the Metro that the DR government is no longer being allowed to borrow money to cover the electricity deficit caused by those who do not pay for power.

The DR government does not want to make those not paying start to pay because they want to win the next election, but the world organizations that grant loans for this are forcing the government into a corner.

It was pointed out that in a few months, the generators will not be paid, there will be a crisis, and the "Shyte will hit the (non-moving) fan" when the lights go out.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
It has been pointed out in the thread about the Metro that the DR government is no longer being allowed to borrow money to cover the electricity deficit caused by those who do not pay for power.

The DR government does not want to make those not paying start to pay because they want to win the next election, but the world organizations that grant loans for this are forcing the government into a corner.

It was pointed out that in a few months, the generators will not be paid, there will be a crisis, and the "Shyte will hit the (non-moving) fan" when the lights go out.

the shyte hits the non moving fan blade and falls to the ground with most dominicans saying aye es la vida, the riche will notice no difference, the colmados will fire up the generators, the price of food will go up again aye la vida if prior to the elections the barrios will be hooked to the meto generators, again aye la vida:bunny:;):bunny:;)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
the shyte hits the non moving fan blade and falls to the ground with most dominicans saying aye es la vida, the riche will notice no difference, the colmados will fire up the generators, the price of food will go up again aye la vida if prior to the elections the barrios will be hooked to the meto generators, again aye la vida:bunny:;):bunny:;)

We're approaching election time: this crisis can only be resolved by X party and is the fault of Y party. Whatever party is in control right now will make sure the bills are paid until the election, then who knows? This isn't just a Dominican phenomenon.

But in the DR, life goes on, and we all take it in stride.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
what do you mean when you say...aye la vida?

I don't get it.

JJ

E

engineerfg

There's another election coming up? What's the date? I thought we just had one?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The point is the DR government is not allowed to borrow more money to pay the generators. Time is up on that. The power will go off when they don't pay. The rich that can generate their own power will have to do that.

It will be a very interesting point in time.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
In the past, when the government found itself in such a crisis, they would stop paying the doctors or the teachers or some other nonessential service.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
what do you mean when you say...aye la vida?

I don't get it.

JJ

maybe I said it wrong ..

aw well thats life. in other words thats the way it is no big deal. its always been this way. It will come back sooner or later hohum.

If this happened in other countries the populace would be up in arms, and burning stuff at the government offices and power plants.

Imagine half of Berlin, or Toronto, or Dallas, or Tokoyo out of power 2-3 times a week for 8-10 hours at a crack.

Will be interesting when it goes out for good.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Dominican Today reports that the World Bank is committed to helping.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ican-Republic-solve-40-year-old-power-problem

NOt sure what that actually means - money - gifts - forgivable loans - only advice - what????

yep,
by reading the article it could mena anything and also nothing.
pprofessional Advice, lol,
advice my Azz, they need to prevent that too high of amounts of any such loans go simply to Party Friends Hands/Pockets,
otherwise more credits for the matter will just disapppear as usual.
Mike

E

engineerfg

one would assume 'advice' would include things like auditing the operations, firing corrupt managers, bringing in outside consultants in key positions, training new management, etc. perhaps too little too late.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
maybe I said it wrong ..

aw well thats life. in other words thats the way it is no big deal. its always been this way. It will come back sooner or later hohum.

If this happened in other countries the populace would be up in arms, and burning stuff at the government offices and power plants.

Imagine half of Berlin, or Toronto, or Dallas, or Tokoyo out of power 2-3 times a week for 8-10 hours at a crack.

Yes of course, but you know this would never happen in Berlin, or Toronto or Dallas or Tokyo, because we all pay Taxes and we all pay our utilities.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
maybe I said it wrong ..

Oh, you are trying to say; "asi es la vida" I got it now, it was only a little miss spelling it happens to me all time in English.

JJ

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
What happens when the money goes out? The power does too!

As they say here: "A falta de pan, casabe, dice el pueblo!"

Isn't this reason most of us have generators? Maybe a minor boom for batteries and candles.

What will happen to the pueblos? They'll hurt but most of the colmados are made for not having power...

Best case scenario... A lot of little people are going to hurt real bad.
Worst case scenario... No more cold presidente ("vestido de novia ").

Sarcastic of course.
When is this expected to happen? Anything more solid than "In a couple of months" ?