Use of "Dominicana"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've noticed from time to time that Dominicans refer to the country as "Dominicana". I haven't thought it's use was correct and doesn't seem frequent but then I heard an older gentlemen who is a professional use it so now I'm wondering if it's correct. The person in question is 100% cibae?o but doesn't use the "i" and speaks Spanish very clearly and correctly, at least for my point of view.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes Chip you are right some people use "Dominicana" as an abbreviation, this is the name of the country and Republic is a state category.
So he is 100% right.
Here in US all "Dominican York" say Santo Domingo, I will never get use to, I say rep. Dom. anytime I talk about my mother land.

JJ

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Here in US all "Dominican York" say Santo Domingo, I will never get use to, I say rep. Dom. anytime I talk about my mother land.

JJ

I think it is because everyone wishes to be from the capital.

Ask a Peruvian were there are from and they will say "Lima".

Ask a Puerto Rican and they will say "San Juan", etc.

My opinion.;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

My opinion.;)

I dunno. I know some guys from Bayamon who would take issue with that last one.

Many call the Dominican Republic "Santo Domingo" because that used to be the name of the country and old habits die hard. I still fly out of "National" Airport while many (on the same planes) fly out of "Ronald Reagan".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

My opinion.;)

I was told by many Dominicans in the States that this is what people used to call the DR.

At any rate "Republica Dominicana" is much less graceful and more cumbersome "Santo Domingo".

Reactions: Bronxboy

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I think it is because everyone wishes to be from the capital..;)
Nop, I think the reason is because the whole island is called Santo Domingo.

I'm Santiaguero de pura cepa!! and my family is from Moca "Secos sacudios y medios por buen cajon"...

haha

JJ

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Yes Chip you are right some people use "Dominicana" as an abbreviation, this is the name of the country and Republic is a state category.
So he is 100% right.

JJ

just like "Dominican York", dominican-country and york for new york--state.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
That is the reason I don't consider my self a "Dominican York" I'm a "Dominican Carolinian" next month I'm to NY for a week vacation I'm sure they are going to notice my southerner accent:cheeky:

JJ

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Dominicana also helps to distinguish the DR from DomiNIca, a verdant jewel in the lesser antilles.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and in my limited but decent spanish i always (nowadays) talk about women as dominicanas. in my "other" life, they were always chicas if you get my drift.....

?

? bient?t

I'm with bachata: I ALWAYS refer to Rep?blica Dominicana when speaking of the country, and Santo Domingo if talking about la ciudad capital.

"?Cu?ndo te va' pa' Santo Domingo, Jose?to?

No voy para Santo Domingo; voy para Hig?ey, v?a Punta Cana.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Could it be a generational thing? My husband is 62 and grew up in the Trujillo era when the capital he grew up in was Ciudad Trujillo. He calls the whole country Santo Domingo all the time. When he says someone is from Santo Domingo I *always* ask "Do you mean the capital?" and 99 out of 100 times he'll say, 'no, he's from Bani, Santiago, Ocoa, etc.'

His youngest brother, who's about 50, when he's speaking English to me, calls it The Dominican, or Dominicana. Of course, he was born around the time that Trujillo died, so Santo Domingo was always Santo Domingo to him.

AE

chicataina

Apr 14, 2010
I think it's a USA thing to refer to Dominican Republic as Santo Domingo. Many that immigrated to the USA did not want to admit that they were from a campo, including me. IMO, Dominicans living in the USA are more comfortable accepting that it is ok to be from a campo or barrio. I use DR as oppose to Santo Domingo when referring to the country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in polish you can use both REPUBLIKA DOMINICANY (dominican republic, formal version, used in government papers) and DOMINIKANA (dominican, informal version and used in nearly all instances save for the government publications).
so i am all for the use of "dominicana", it makes perfect sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.