Sigh...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I'l be damned!

Trying to get some descent puppy food here is not a simple quest.

One brand...advised me Junior...JUNIOR...hello, these are 5 day's old puppies and in three weeks time they should eat PUPPY food, not JUNIOR.

Another brand...delivers good quality puppy food but not on a regular basis and with a mom who has to feed 12 puppies and a mom to be in a few day's, I NEED regular supply.

Contacted another supplier in the States...sure, we can deliver you from Florida..yeah well, I know its quality food but even for me its too expensive (not the food as such but the taxes I will have to pay to import it)

And I refuse to give the less quality stuff you find in every store, sorry but not for my pups :pirate:

Just blowing off some steam...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Eukanuba, Royal Canin.... what's wrong with those two brands that are for sale at pet stores in Santo Domingo. Also check out Bravo's pet shop on Winston Churchill and Jumbo.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Eukanuba, Royal Canin.... what's wrong with those two brands that are for sale at pet stores in Santo Domingo. Also check out Bravo's pet shop on Winston Churchill and Jumbo.

I am not living in SD first of all.
Eukanuba has no place in my book as a premium brand and Royal Canin does not have puppy food apparently.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What about Purina? There's plenty of that about. The puppy food is the one in the blue packet.

I fed my Malinois on it when they were pups and they are very healthy adult dogs now.

If that's not good enough then I would suggest that you go down to your local butcher and buy the off cuts, boil it up and bulk it up with rice, eggs and vegetables. I'm sure that would be be cheaper and healthier than importing the stuff from the US.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Well I'm learning. Eukanuba and Royal Canin are pricier in Santo Domingo than Purina. My vet always recommended Royal Canin over Purina.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They sell puppy food at PriceSmart...They have tons of it...moistened with a little milk or stock it is wonderful!!

HB

Note: You can have 100 lbs or more shipped from Miami for about 75 dollars...in a barrel or a big box....Dominican housewives (very upper class ones) go to Miami and stock their kitchen shelves with everything from Sam's Club!!

Reactions: Acira

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
What about Purina? There's plenty of that about. The puppy food is the one in the blue packet.

I fed my Malinois on it when they were pups and they are very healthy adult dogs now.

If that's not good enough then I would suggest that you go down to your local butcher and buy the off cuts, boil it up and bulk it up with rice, eggs and vegetables. I'm sure that would be be cheaper and healthier than importing the stuff from the US.

I know what you are trying to say but my dogs get fresh meat once in a while and then its not cooked but raw, much better for a dog then cooked and rice is just a stomach filler, not really adding anything essential to their diet.
Giving pups of three weeks old raw...I am not that experienced in BARF to give it a go so dry food is more the right thing to give right now.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
They sell puppy food at PriceSmart...They have tons of it...moistened with a little milk or stock it is wonderful!!

HB

Note: You can have 100 lbs or more shipped from Miami for about 75 dollars...in a barrel or a big box....Dominican housewives (very upper class ones) go to Miami and stock their kitchen shelves with everything from Sam's Club!!

Really? Please pm me some more details!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Unfortunately, 100lbs is just 2 1/2 bags of dog food.
All of those puppies will chew that up in no time (pun intended)

The bags are $50 or so, it doubles the cost.

I did it when we shipped 2 barrels from Philadelphia (actually drove it to Queens for Awelda shipping) so it wasn't bad when adding to the larger shipment..... but on its own , its costly

Acira, have you tried contacting other breeders?
They must have the same problem

I know theres a Boxer breeder in SD and there must be many others you know of.
Either they can help or you can pool your shipment

WW

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Again my vet recommended Royal Canin for my two boxers -- Jay and Mangu. They don't get any lovelier, with shiny fur, or more cuddling than those two (father and son). Have been healthy since birth. They occasionally get some real food, but reality is that real food makes for stinky poo....

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Wow! Is,nt life funny? People are eating mud cookies and Purina is,nt good enough for dogs...makes you wonder eh?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Unfortunately, 100lbs is just 2 1/2 bags of dog food.
All of those puppies will chew that up in no time (pun intended)

The bags are $50 or so, it doubles the cost.

I did it when we shipped 2 barrels from Philadelphia (actually drove it to Queens for Awelda shipping) so it wasn't bad when adding to the larger shipment..... but on its own , its costly

Acira, have you tried contacting other breeders?
They must have the same problem

I know theres a Boxer breeder in SD and there must be many others you know of.
Either they can help or you can pool your shipment

WW

yep, I realized that but it was too late to alter my response. Its indeed too expensive and two bags is nothing when having puppies and two moms also feeding on the puppy food.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Again my vet recommended Royal Canin for my two boxers -- Jay and Mangu. They don't get any lovelier, with shiny fur, or more cuddling than those two (father and son). Have been healthy since birth. They occasionally get some real food, but reality is that real food makes for stinky poo....

No, not really and if you add a bit of pineapple to it, certainly not.
Royal Canin is certainly very good but as I said, they do not supply puppy food over here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let them eat cake

Wow! Is,nt life funny? People are eating mud cookies and Purina is,nt good enough for dogs...makes you wonder eh?

oh, for crying out loud, man! what acira wants to do with HER money is her problem, not yours. she is not exactly stealing those last scraps of food from the plates of poor dominicans leaving them in tears. she is a dog breeder and she wants the best for her animals.

acira, we have been using eukanuba lately for our dog. as you know she is preggers so we feed her puppy food. we'll probably stuck to that once the puppies are born. our girl looks great on eukanuba, very heatlhy.

i think that it may be better for you to take a trip to SD to see few vets and look for the food you think is best. once you are there you can buy as much as you can and agree delivery.
take care.

Reactions: Celt202

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, not really and if you add a bit of pineapple to it, certainly not.
Royal Canin is certainly very good but as I said, they do not supply puppy food over here.

Now there is piece of advice ..... pineapple, whodathunkit!??

I think I'll try it on....... better not say or I won't get dinner :cheeky:

WW