Rua's Bar does an about face

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Although the sister thread (No blacks, no gays... Rua's Bar defends policy)was closed because it degenerated to nonsense, it is important to note that the bar's management has done an about face and now categorically denied that they discriminated against anyone.

?Queremos desmentir categ?ricamente, la informaci?n que ha salido en algunos medios de comunicaci?n donde se acusa a Rua?s Bar de no permitir la entrada a homosexuales y a personas morenas o de color en el bar?, precisaron en otro documento, enviado este lunes a la Redacci?n de Clave Digital.

There are only four rules for getting in: Be an adult, have a cedula, carry no guns, and be adequately dressed (no shorts, sneakers or T- shirts without arms or collar). Now I can live with that.

Rua

Reactions: mike l and Bronxboy

sandongero

Dec 22, 2009
Smart move

Very smart move! There's is nothing 'elite' to their written policy, in fact it is the same as all bars and drinks advertise, though often not enforced consistently. I am sure this guy on facebook disclosed too much information about their unwritten rules that generalize certain groups ;), which BTW almost all so called fancy clubs have anywhere in the world! I like the fact that this happened so people that have never been confronted with these kind of situations can see how they have been living in blissful ignorance, myself included :eek:

Reactions: mike l

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
no sneakers ? so in theory a man in sequined red stilletos and a nice cocktail frock would get in,- anyone want to give it a go

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Did anybody here ever line up for Studio 54 in NYC?

You should have seen that guy pick his patrons !!!

No rules...... totally subjective AND he had a plan!

When you got inside it was interesting to see the mix he had put together.
just like a good DJ, he made the party what it was.

WW

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Did anybody here ever line up for Studio 54 in NYC?

You should have seen that guy pick his patrons !!!

No rules...... totally subjective AND he had a plan!

When you got inside it was interesting to see the mix he had put together.
just like a good DJ, he made the party what it was.

WW

Funny you mention this.

You still find a few clubs in NY that are very picky who comes in but they are far and between.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
no sneakers ? so in theory a man in sequined red stilletos and a nice cocktail frock would get in,- anyone want to give it a go

If you'll dress up like that, I'll go with you when I get to SD. Of course, I'm running the risk that you'll look better than I will... :cheeky:

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cedulas? You have to have a cedula to get in? So this means no tourists?

So if we were a crowd of red sequinned stilletto foreigners, we would not get in?

I suspect that we'd be welcomed with open arms Annie, with or without the red sequins.... the cedulas requirement is, I'll bet, an attempt to keep illegal Haitians out.

Not that many of them would have the cash or attire to go there..... so maybe I'm wrong.... I'm sure that must have happened at least once in my life :cheeky:

As my father used to say in his best Brooklyneze, "I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong..."

AE

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ah, could be. But I didn't realize they HAD an age requirement in DR? I thought adults could send children to buy beer/rum?

AE

18 yrs for drinking & gambling as far as I know.
Enforcement is another issue, but an upscale bar in the city wouldn't likely want to have kids inside and risk selective enforcement or simply having an adult environment invaded by kids.

It might even be a law to have signs posted regarding minors... I've seen them in some bars.

And enforcement does happen. Here's one example
Authorities shutter famous Santiago discos for serving minors

And here's the law...
Ley 136-03 proh?be la entrada a menores de 18 a?os a establecimientos donde se consume bebidas alcoh?licas.

Last edited:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i have seen, with my own eyes, and have no complaint, certain clubs in SD, after midnight, that will make up any rule that pops into their head to keep someone out and this usually has to do with how many females are already there. let's say twenty females are in the club, the club does not want 200 drunk horny males to suddenly appear. they might sell a drink to each but with the lack of females we are going to have fights, insulted women who will not go back, chaos.............then the club gets a black eye, you have to mix the music as well as the clientele......has nothing to with gay, black, how you dress...........

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
18 yrs for drinking & gambling as far as I know.
Enforcement is another issue, but an upscale bar in the city wouldn't likely want to have kids inside and risk selective enforcement or simply having an adult environment invaded by kids.

It might even be a law to have signs posted regarding minors... I've seen them in some bars.

And enforcement does happen. Here's one example
Authorities shutter famous Santiago discos for serving minors

And here's the law...
Ley 136-03 proh?be la entrada a menores de 18 a?os a establecimientos donde se consume bebidas alcoh?licas.

would be nice to see such much more often,
specially in so many places in the PC/Bavaro area,
including the age-check of their working Gals.
Mike

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Cedulas? You have to have a cedula to get in? So this means no tourists?

So if we were a crowd of red sequinned stilletto foreigners, we would not get in?

By saying cedulas stablishments just want to state they only accept adult people in their environment. If somebody can't prove their age (18 by cedula, passport or other country's licence) then they won't be allowed to get in. I really don't think they are discriminating against foreigners, just be sure to dress nice.

Anyhow I still believe that's a racist joint. Just wanted to explain the cedula bit as every nightclub in the DR has this rule.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
By saying cedulas stablishments just want to state they only accept adult people in their environment. If somebody can't prove their age (18 by cedula, passport or other country's licence) then they won't be allowed to get in. I really don't think they are discriminating against foreigners, just be sure to dress nice.

Anyhow I still believe that's a racist joint. Just wanted to explain the cedula bit as every nightclub in the DR has this rule.

correct,
and internationally not unusual.
during my travels through the USA I often had to provide an ID even close to the age of 30.
yep,
It is because I am still that young and darn good looking cute kinda sweety, lol.
Mike

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
when we were in Georgia for the World Championships we went out to dine at a nice restaurant with an outside dining area (very rare over there), and when we ordered a pre-dinner cocktail Acira (not the dog) felt very honoured when asked for an id...

she thought she looked under 21... untill a lady in her eighties arrived, pushing one of these, how do you call it in English, carts to safeguard her balance, sat herself down with some difficulty, ordered a drink, and got asked for her id...

How stupid can some laws be, I wonder...:bunny::bunny: