Cigars...what are your favorites and where do you buy them?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I don't know about The Capital, the East Coast, or elsewhere in the country, but Santiago and the the Puerto Plata area don't have many really good cigar shops. And in the few I've been in, it's hard to find anything but Dominican made cigars...that part doesn't surprise me much, but even for some of the Dominican brands, it's hard or impossible to find all but their most popular lines.

My current favorites are:

Dominican: La Gloria Cubana / Romeo y Julieta / Montecristo / La Aurora 1495

Honduran: CAO / Hoyo de Monterrey / Punch

Nicaraguan: Padron / La Herencia Cubana / Nestor Miranda

Cuban: Punch / Montecristo

USA: Don Pepin Garcia

Ive been trying a lot of different cigars lately and there are so many good cigars from all the different cigar-producing countries...probably the best cigar Ive smoked recently is from Brazil... Dona Flora. I've also really liked cigars from 5 Vegas, Cusano, Padillla, Perdomo, etc...

The best cigar stores I've found are Super Super in Sosua (for price), Cafe Cubano in Sosua (for selection...and their coffee!), and in Santiago, the cigar store in the Gran Almirante.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I haven't found a tobacco shop in Santo Domingo yet that will sell any Dominican cigar brand for less money than I can get them for in the US. I bring major brand Dominican cigars to the DR with me for that reason. Then I buy Caoba and Principe which I don't see in the States to bring back with me.

About 90% of the "Cuban" cigars I've seen in the DR were fakes. The ones that weren't are cheaper online so why bother? I prefer Trinidad and Vegas Robaina.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are so right: About fake Cubans and the prices charged here. I am so lucky...I have lots people in the business and can have my own made up for me....really small 8-10 roller places that are in the so-called "informal" sector...making tons of money and paying little or no taxes...

During the World Cup I was able to enjoy a 10 year old Opus X, in the Corona Size, and maybe this afternoon, if the stars are properly aligned a 12 year old Flor Dominicana Piramide....the cello is so dark you can barely see the lable...

HB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are several authorized Habanos SA dealers in the DR...but unless you REALLY want Cubans, or find the occasional great deal on "real" ones, they're rarely worth the price.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Even the Aurora prices can't compete with JRCigars....fact..He only sells about a million cigars a day so he knows how to move inventory...guy is a real cigar magnare and smart as a whip...

However, there are some small factories here that can make really good quality sticks, some will even custom blend, if you know tobacco...

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I don't buy very many cigars in the DR for the reasons others have posted. It just doesn't make since price-wise, unless all you smoke is Leon Jimenez and La Aurora. I buy all of my cigars from JRCigars.com: The World's Largest Cigar Store and Lowest Prices!, and bring some down to the DR with me. They consistently have the best deals, along with the broadest inventory.

Vince.

Yeah. JR's is a great source. I sometimes find that Famous beats their prices (depending on what they're trying to move that Month):

Cigars - Humidors - Cigar Accessories | Famous Smoke Shop

For Habanos:

CigarsOfHabanos.com your source for Cuban Cigars

For updates:

Cigarfriendly.com Home Page

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct,
for the good stuff handrolled here and reasonable priced you need to know the samll guys who make and sell their own brand.
I buy in Bavaro at La Reina Dominicana,
all handrolled right there, only 6 sizes available, all six made of exactly the same tobaccos, the difference is simply the different sizes they are offered.
I like their taste and I specially love the rates they ask for their products.
you can check them on www.cigarsjewlerypuntacana.com
the Store Owner Lady is from Switzerland, Suzanne, her business partner is a German, Thomas.
and they run nice discounts on their anyways great rates for the Local regular customers who buy there often.
their shop is not open for Walk Ins/Street Guests, only on prior appointment by phone.
needless to mention that my wife only allows me the Visits there together with her 'cause she loves their attached Jewlery Store for Larimar and Ambar, a nice Trapp.
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
huge selection, Dolores,
but not very interesting price wise.
but a good place to go when looking for the expensive rated stuff,
just mostly out of my range, lol.
my buddy did the Tour and liked it, very informative.
Mike

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We are currently buying most of our cigars in Tamboril at La Tradicion Cubana Inc.
We buy them un labled at about $1.25US a stick and have not been dissappointed in any of them. He has an award winning Chula (sp) that is terrific.
There are a couple of other small shops we visit and again with out the ring much cheaper. Besides you don't smoke the ring .

BobK