Summer School in the DR

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Today I went with Acira (the dog) and Gray (also a dog... lol) to a university summer camp in Santiago, to help the Caninos Deportivos dogclub from SD in giving some demo's....

Arriving there, I saw to my surprise that most kids over there where between the ages of 6 and let's say 14...

Never mind, we were explained these were the children of the employees, and of the families of the employees, who were given a chance to explore the possibilities of university...

Great initiative...

We were told we had to wait, until the kids first got their course, after which they would be treated to our demo...

No probs, but I almost had to race myself around the building in question, rolling on the grass laughing, when I noticed, the course given, was "artificial insemination of pigs"...

I could just imagine the kids going home and telling their parents their pigs were doing it all wrong...:bunny::bunny:

Mind you, the initiative is great, but needs a bit of work for the next year I think...

Nevertheless, the kids had a great time, they got some free t-shirts and caps from the sponsors (those who inseminate pigs....), and really enjoyed the demo's with the dogs (some obedience, frisbee and security-work)

At the end, they took a great pic, which I hope to receive from the club in SD soon, of all kids, teachers, sponsors, and the 3 dogs (with sponsor caps) present (Theo, Gray and Acira)

BTW... Theo (as a real male Russian Terrier), was very interested in our 2 female, and innocent females... I just hope he was not paying too much attention to this summer class...:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Caninos Deportivos... thanks for the invite...

Reactions: ExtremeR

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Artificial insemination of pigs? Oh dear, there are so many rude comments I could make, and any of them would get me permanently banned on the forum.

But as you said, how great the idea of the program is.

Eventually, I would like to encourage folks to diversify their diet by growing a couple of tomato plants or other vegetables in front of their houses.

I hope to meet you and your dogs next year.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Imagine what my comment was when Belgiank came home with that story of the pigs :bunny:

Alway's glad that we can do some demo's together with our friends in SD and especially when kids are involved.

Next on the program is to do something for the children here in Jarabacoa when the pups are a couple of weeks old and we are working on a project with some schools here to introduce maybe a class hour or a workshop once a month on how to raise and nurse a dog towards a great compagnion.

Can't wait to stick my head together with some great teachers here and get started on that one.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As Acira already explained... we are working on some kind of summer school for kids with dogs...

My dream is to train the dogs of those kids and our puppies, and set up a show for the parents...

you guys know what I'm talking about... learn the kids how to get the dogs to weave through their legs, how to let them sit up for a treat, give a paw, do a high five, etc....

most important thing... have the kids enjoy themselves, make the parents proud, etc..., and make them aware that dogs are not always vicious and dangerous animals, and how if you treat them right, they can make great friends...

thanks to all the people here, talking to the schools, and making this possible...

Peter