Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back from DR first time traveler

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back from DR first time traveler

I got back from DR 4 weeks ago. I used to go to Cuba and im in love with that place, but danm now im also in love with DR...hehe

I think its just that caribbean culture i love

But anyways we rented a car a traveled the country. We went to Santo domingo, Las terrenas, Sosua and Santiago. From there we visited all kinds of places. It is a beautyful country, especially the nature, the beaches and the women...hehe.

I liked all of the places we went, but i must say, if you like to party ave. venezuela in Santo Domingo is the place to be, just my opinion..hehe

And im going back, for sure thinking about doing a year studying there (santo domingo) if possible, but thats a whole different thread

Only one bad thing was that ive read in some thread, someone mentioned that the dominicanos was the best dancers in the world, and i must say the cubans still own that price by far, so im a bit dissappointed..hehe

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with your assessment of the dancing prowess of Dominicans. IMO first place to Cubans, second place to Trinidadians, close third to Jamaicans. Dominicans are far down the list, probably only ahead of Bajans. The people who think that Dominicans are great dancers are those who have not checked out the other Caribbean islands.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How can you compare if they don't dance to the same music ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

But they do dance to some of the same music!!!! IMHO cubans are far superior.

Not to say that some Dominicans are fabulous dancers but most are not. They just think they are! What they do have is a passion for dance that is seldom seen elsewhere. They are born dancing.....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMV123 View Post
    But they do dance to some of the same music!!!! IMHO cubans are far superior.
    I agree with you and think that the comparison with Cubans is fair, but with Jamaicans or Trinadians? Dancehall Reggae or Calypso against Bachata or Merengue ?

Yeah, Cubans CAN dance, omg! I was blown away when I went.

Just my 2 cents....

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMV123 View Post
    Not to say that some Dominicans are fabulous dancers but most are not. They just think they are! What they do have is a passion for dance that is seldom seen elsewhere. They are born dancing.....
    You're right, I had to laugh when I read that because I swear our grandson danced before he walked. (Now, if he only had a little talent at his favorite pasttime!) I swear as soon as he hears music anywhere he starts dancing.

AE

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

An interesting perspective on the development of Caribbean dance styles:

Caribbean Dance | caribbean-guide.info

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who thinks Av. Venezuela is the "happening" place is certainly not qualified to be an expert on most anything. I wish AZB would see this....certainly not the Santo Domingo I visit or would even think of visiting.

While this might seem harsh, most of this board would agree that is a touchy place to play...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Anyone who thinks Av. Venezuela is the "happening" place is certainly not qualified to be an expert on most anything. I wish AZB would see this....certainly not the Santo Domingo I visit or would even think of visiting.

While this might seem harsh, most of this board would agree that is a touchy place to play...

HB
    I liked all of the places we went, but i must say, if you like to party ave. venezuela in Santo Domingo is the place to be, just my opinion..hehe
    OP stated an IMO, not an "expert" advice. The guy went to Santo Domingo and liked it and was trying to share his enthusiasm with us. What's wrong with that? We all like what we like for our own reasons. Run and tell AZB dat!

Jeez...........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post

HB
    I could never be an expert when its my first time to the country, never claimed that. Just thought it was really fun going there, especialy at the open bar area (dont know the name), much more fun that the gasque area, i have just visit a small part of the city, i know.

Next time i visit then you could show me some better places and school me a little..hehe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast