Chinese Box: One Way to Roast a Pig

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There was a discussion about Chinese Boxes in the Enviro forum a while ago, and since I'm not allowed to post there, I'll put these pics and info here.

There was a roast pig at the big family reunion Sunday the 4th at Alida's cousin's pig farm in the mountains outside of San Jose de la Mata, the day after our trip to Haiti. Over 100 people were there, all with the same last name.

He's still building the house:
ReunionI.jpg

Some kids splashing in the (literally) "cement pond":
ReunionII.jpg

It's always nice to see niece Carolina :):
Carolina.jpg

But while folks were singing, drinking and dancing to this:
Band.jpg

I'm in the back watching this, Chinese Oven art in progress:
ChineseOvenI.jpg

ChineseOvenII.jpg

The peegs, they is done:
PigI.jpg

PigII.jpg

Uclide preps for the feast:
PigIII.jpg

PigIV.jpg

Gentlemen and kind ladies, THIS is good eatin':
PigV.jpg

Spectacular! Unbelievably good, used the old Chinese box method...I had chicharrones so fabulous I can still feel the grease in my arteries...

BTW-there were prolly 30 Americans there from the states. We celebrated Independance Day, too...

Reactions: Bronxboy

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Now, if only the Restaurant Owners In Sosua adopted this spectacular display of a delictable and culinary treat I would like to imagine the crowd.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only thing stopping you posting in the Environment forum is you :)

The pig looks fabulous!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The only thing stopping you posting in the Environment forum is you :)

The pig looks fabulous!

Agreed but I was trying to point out that a pig roast every once in a while in Sosua would be a great thing.

Britannia is adopting a proactive additude to offering new theme menus each month from different countries and i am intersted to see what the greek fare is.

I did not mean to hi jack or get off topic but....the pig looks fabulosly delicious!

And I would like to see that available!

Reactions: Tamborista

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
looks delicious indeed...

Now those things looked homebuilt...

CB... your next mission in life should be to get the plans for those things.. and let's build us one...;)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In The Bahamas they do wild pig roasts on boxes like that, except that the box is buried with just the coals on top. I think this keeps more heat inside the box.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Indeed they do, nothing nicer than some Abaco wild boar, and an ice cold Kalik to lubricate the feeding tubes. Jeeze it looks good. I am off to the non muslim section of the supermarket to see if there are any smoked joints available for the day off tomorrow !

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Indeed they do, nothing nicer than some Abaco wild boar, and an ice cold Kalik to lubricate the feeding tubes. Jeeze it looks good. I am off to the non muslim section of the supermarket to see if there are any smoked joints available for the day off tomorrow !

Smoked joints of?

Mmm, cerdo! I saw that Chinese box for sale the other day and wondered what the finish product would look like. Looks greats, just add lime!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Those boxes are for sale at MOLINA in Santiago and Santo Domingo @ RD$14,895.

FYI. That means you can probably build one, if you are handy with tools and know a welder or two, for about RD$4000....maybe a little less...

HB