War on drugs and news from dncd

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
All of Saman?s antinarcotics agents arrested in sting

SAN FRANCISCO DE MACORIS.- The entire contingent of the Drugs Control Agency (DNCD) in Saman? is under arrest, accused of charging money from different drug pushers in that northwest town.

Among the detainees is major Jhoan Antonio Peralta, who was the DNCD?s inspector in Saman?, as well as first lieutenant Eligio Jim?nez Valdez.

The arrest and later transfer to Santo Domingo of the enlisted men and officials comes in the wake of an investigation by the DA Juan Medina de los Santos.

Their arrest comes after a sting by undercover agents using marked bills and posing as pushers.

Medina and Police agents conducted searches where they seized 9,000 pesos in marked bills, other moneys in cash and several cell phones.

The official identified the civilian detained as Mario Roman N??ez ?Canita,? arrested in the section La Pascuala, accused of keeping the money from the sting.

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...amanas-antinarcotics-agents-arrested-in-sting
-------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: mike l

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Dominican Republic military has 3-D radar starting today

384CC811-BC82-481D-B92D-D920C10B1910.jpeg

Santo Domingo. - The Dominican Republic?s Armed Forces expect to receive sophisticated radar equipment today, bought from an Israeli company for use in the war on drug trafficking and other types of organized crime, and will operate from a control center in the San Isidro Airbase.

Armed Forces minister Pedro Rafael Pe?a, the Presidency?s adviser on narcotics Marino Vinicio Castillo, the chiefs of the Air Force and Navy and other senior military officials will receive the equipment in a ceremony today.

The three-dimensional radar, which can detect any aircraft incursion in the national airspace, was bought in a call for tenders for more than US$34 million in October, from the company Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI).

The equipment is similar to the one installed by the United States in Key West, Florida.
http://dominicantoday.com/dr/techno...epublic-military-has-3-D-radar-starting-today

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
All of Saman?s antinarcotics agents arrested in sting

SAN FRANCISCO DE MACORIS.- The entire contingent of the Drugs Control Agency (DNCD) in Saman? is under arrest, accused of charging money from different drug pushers in that northwest town.

Among the detainees is major Jhoan Antonio Peralta, who was the DNCD?s inspector in Saman?, as well as first lieutenant Eligio Jim?nez Valdez.

The arrest and later transfer to Santo Domingo of the enlisted men and officials comes in the wake of an investigation by the DA Juan Medina de los Santos.

Their arrest comes after a sting by undercover agents using marked bills and posing as pushers.

Medina and Police agents conducted searches where they seized 9,000 pesos in marked bills, other moneys in cash and several cell phones.

The official identified the civilian detained as Mario Roman N??ez ?Canita,? arrested in the section La Pascuala, accused of keeping the money from the sting.

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...amanas-antinarcotics-agents-arrested-in-sting
-------------------------------------------------------------

So the punishment is to transfer them to Santo Domingo?

9,000 pesos ----- wowowowowoowowowowo!

What a huge ring that must have been!

kidding aside - since it really has been a source of huge corruption and payoffs from all the puntos which sell crack. Now I do not care about the coke that just flows through here to destinations in Europe and the US or the grass that comes in from Haiti -- but the CRACK really has to be stopped if this country wants any sort of internal security.

There used to be huge desparte penalties in the States over Crack vs Cocaine with the former getting huge prison sentances in comparison to the latter but I think that has been struck down now as discriminatory -- yet the reality is that CRACK is far more dangerous since it is so rapidly addictive.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Mountainannie - it is all illegal and therefor all must be stopped! And it is not ok that we are just a travel thru point to Europe and US for some of the drugs!!!!!!!

This is simply a good start! And I am sure the punishment is not simply to transfer them. Let's see what happens next.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agree with Annie about Crack, but since we Dominicans invented it I'm actually surprised it took so long for this to start to become an epidemic.

On a lighter not I was listening to Rawdog comedy on Sirius last night as I waited about 12 hours to cross the border into Mcallen, TX and this comedian was talking about how if you got caught selling crack it was a mandatory 15 years vs. just selling cocaine which was a mandatory 5 years and the difference between cocaine and crack is just baking soda. So he says that he would implement a new process where he would sell crack but the client would get two baggies (one with coke and the other with baking soda) as well as instructions on how to cook it themselves...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
So the punishment is to transfer them to Santo Domingo?

Transfer as in "sent" to preventive jail in SD... Not your US choice of words when transferring job placements...

9,000 pesos ----- wowowowowoowowowowo!

Amount of "micro-imprinted" bills used to trace and trap the chain of command involved collected so far. Largest bills were the ones which will be passed along to the bigger fish, lower notes stood at bottom. All other notes involved had their serial numbers traced to continue to follow the chain towards other people involved. What they said as 9,000 seized, relates to the first phase of the arrests of people involved with cash on hand...

What a huge ring that must have been!

It's much bigger than the whole unit assigned there, they're still following the trace of those other bills involved. Some are showing up in bank accounts already...

kidding aside - since it really has been a source of huge corruption and payoffs from all the puntos which sell crack. Now I do not care about the coke that just flows through here to destinations in Europe and the US or the grass that comes in from Haiti -- but the CRACK really has to be stopped if this country wants any sort of internal security.

Unlike the US and EU, the DR is putting together a mandatory system where drug abusers will be placed under soft arrest, provided with medical/mental/work assistance to remove them from continuing to be users. Mandatory drug tests will be placed for all public workers...

There used to be huge desparte penalties in the States over Crack vs Cocaine with the former getting huge prison sentances in comparison to the latter but I think that has been struck down now as discriminatory -- yet the reality is that CRACK is far more dangerous since it is so rapidly addictive.

We agree on that!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Unlike the US and EU, the DR is putting together a mandatory system where drug abusers will be placed under soft arrest, provided with medical/mental/work assistance to remove them from continuing to be users. Mandatory drug tests will be placed for all public workers...

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the additional information - Yes, I have seen your new system of restorative justice at work in one of the women's prisons and it is impressive what the DR is doing.. But I would suggest that most of the people who are involved in the trafficking are not users of the product. Certainly they are not users of crack -- because they simply could not use crack and function. So this is a good treatment idea -- certainly better than just locking them up in the general prison population as we do in the States.

The problem is the MONEY that is involved -- and I do not know of a recovery program for bribery and graft yet.... good luck with that one!

But I do think that if there were more public education on drug use along with a campaign to close the puntos - that could be effective here.

I am always surprised on how low the smoking rate is here for a tobacco producing country so I think that with education, you could stop the crack use inside the country.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
difference between cocaine and crack is just baking soda.

Actually, cocaine cooked with baking soda is called free-base.

Cocaine when bought already cooked can be mixed with all kinds of bad stuff. This is what crack is!!!!!!!

I have heard cocaine being mixed with arsenic so it could have a better intense feel.

Cocaine can also be cooked in ammonia therefore eliminating the cooking process. It is just pour into the ammonia and the purer the coke the bigger the rock.

Richard Pryor set himself on fire free-basing cocaine before crack ever hit the streets. Someone decided to cook the coke themselves, put the rocks in little bottles, and crack was born.

Bad stuff, let me tell you. A hit of coke can last a half and hour. A hit of crack can last a few minutes.

I have a friend years ago (in the '80's) that used to smoke crack. When he went for a physical, the doctor found many things in his system other than cocaine including arsenic.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Actually, cocaine cooked with baking soda is called free-base.

Cocaine when bought already cooked can be mixed with all kinds of bad stuff. This is what crack is!!!!!!!

I have heard cocaine being mixed with arsenic so it could have a better intense feel.

Cocaine can also be cooked in ammonia therefore eliminating the cooking process. It is just pour into the ammonia and the purer the coke the bigger the rock.

Richard Pryor set himself on fire free-basing cocaine before crack ever hit the streets. Someone decided to cook the coke themselves, put the rocks in little bottles, and crack was born.

Bad stuff, let me tell you. A hit of coke can last a half and hour. A hit of crack can last a few minutes.

I have a friend years ago (in the '80's) that used to smoke crack. When he went for a physical, the doctor found many things in his system other than cocaine including arsenic.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True. This stuff is insidious and being related to or close friends with an addict is a ticket to Hell. It doesn't produce much of a physiological addiction (nothing like opiates do) but the psychological addiction is second to no substance known to Mankind.

Dealers mix in all kinds of additives when cooking their poison to increase the yield and effect. Many of these additives are themselves, very toxic. I understand the problems that many civil rights groups had with the "Hard" v. "Soft" cocaine sentencing law but if any of them lost someone close to them to crack cocaine they'd understand the need for the harsher sentence, not saying that "powder" is good for you, it just doesn't produce the kind of craving that will make a Mother turn her back on her children and a Man sell his soul for a crack rock.

The same thing that happened in Mexico a decade ago is happening in the DR right now and if you want to know the future of the DR's drug problems look at Mexico right now. The product bottlenecked along the trafficking route and due to shelf life considerations an internal market had to be created. The guys who run the illegal drug business are a lot smarter than the bankers who hide their money for them.

It's up to the 1st World to shut down their markets by ending the prohibition of drugs, licensing the pharm co's. to sell them under strict guidlines, regulate and tax the whole thing, thus steering any profitability from organized and petty crime and to the National Treasuries to pay for education, interdiction and treatment. Otherwise the countries involved in production and trafficking will continue to see their societies crumble.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
True. This stuff is insidious and being related to or close friends with an addict is a ticket to Hell. It doesn't produce much of a physiological addiction (nothing like opiates do) but the psychological addiction is second to no substance known to Mankind.

Dealers mix in all kinds of additives when cooking their poison to increase the yield and effect. Many of these additives are themselves, very toxic. I understand the problems that many civil rights groups had with the "Hard" v. "Soft" cocaine sentencing law but if any of them lost someone close to them to crack cocaine they'd understand the need for the harsher sentence, not saying that "powder" is good for you, it just doesn't produce the kind of craving that will make a Mother turn her back on her children and a Man sell his soul for a crack rock.

The same thing that happened in Mexico a decade ago is happening in the DR right now and if you want to know the future of the DR's drug problems look at Mexico right now. The product bottlenecked along the trafficking route and due to shelf life considerations an internal market had to be created. The guys who run the illegal drug business are a lot smarter than the bankers who hide their money for them.

It's up to the 1st World to shut down their markets by ending the prohibition of drugs, licensing the pharm co's. to sell them under strict guidlines, regulate and tax the whole thing, thus steering any profitability from organized and petty crime and to the National Treasuries to pay for education, interdiction and treatment. Otherwise the countries involved in production and trafficking will continue to see their societies crumble.

Excellent post Greydead.

You made this post idiot proof for all to understand. Kudos!;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Didn;t the US offer and give a demonstration of a 3D radar at a much lower price??? Same old, same old...

HB

Graybeard's post is a gem...

Personally, I think that the sharks in the Caribbean should be fed anyone, I mean anyone, caught with more than an ounce....word would get around...

Reactions: greydread

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
NO!, NO!, NO! to greydead,,,,sorry, you suggest turning over the production and disppensing to the pharm. co.s? the deadliest drug pushers on the planet? no, no, no, they are already stealing from the sick..........follow the lead of california, with a doctor's note you can grow your own, no need for fancy packaging, executives, private jets. that is just ridiculous, i grow great tomatoes, cukes, squash, peaches, pears and this year i will have enough grapes to make wine, which according to US federal law i am legal to produce up to fifty gallons for personal use, i also make my own hard cider, all legal. any agent from any drug company on my land will be shot, any policeman is more than welcome for lunch as i have nothing to hide. if legalized, let me get my growers permit from wal-mart, (don't laugh in NY that is where you get a fishing license, they are efficient, prompt, open at all hours, much more efficient than the old days of having to go to the county courthouse/motor vehicle line and pay some fat slob who gets a pension for being rude).......my father in law in the campo, Altimira/rio grande abajo, has no one from Chiquita banana telling him what to do..........what a stupid post..........

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i forgot to mention that i am only speaking of marijuana, there is no legit need for proceesed coke, the peruvians only chew the leaves and we already have heroin from the pharm co's in the form of morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, etc, it's all opiates and they (pharm co.s) are already in the biz..........

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
NO!, NO!, NO! to greydead,,,,sorry, you suggest turning over the production and disppensing to the pharm. co.s? the deadliest drug pushers on the planet? no, no, no, they are already stealing from the sick..........follow the lead of california, with a doctor's note you can grow your own, no need for fancy packaging, executives, private jets. that is just ridiculous, i grow great tomatoes, cukes, squash, peaches, pears and this year i will have enough grapes to make wine, which according to US federal law i am legal to produce up to fifty gallons for personal use, i also make my own hard cider, all legal. any agent from any drug company on my land will be shot, any policeman is more than welcome for lunch as i have nothing to hide. if legalized, let me get my growers permit from wal-mart, (don't laugh in NY that is where you get a fishing license, they are efficient, prompt, open at all hours, much more efficient than the old days of having to go to the county courthouse/motor vehicle line and pay some fat slob who gets a pension for being rude).......my father in law in the campo, Altimira/rio grande abajo, has no one from Chiquita banana telling him what to do..........what a stupid post..........

We are not talking bananas or squash here. Were not even talking about cough syrup. We're talking about failed drug policy, corrupt officials and a country caught in the middle of a real war where people are dying every day. There's only one way out. If you have a better solution that would appeal to all the geniuses in DC then please uncork it so we can end the problem. People are suffering and dying and all they can do and you want to continue to do is throw more money into interdiction scams?

Your post, above describes a tree. We're lost in the woods here!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I really understand that Legalization sounds scary to many.

However, something new has to be tried since the current policy is not working (and hasn't been working for a while).

it's worth trying.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Excellent post Greydead.

You made this post idiot proof for all to understand. Kudos!;)

Thanks bro but it apparently wasn't as "idiot proof" as we'd hoped.

Sorry if I get a little ranty but I've been to that Hell with a former old war buddy best friend and an ex wife and I hate that mess with a passion. But there's too much money in that game and until we take the profit away it won't be going anywhere.

I do like the idea about the sharks though. Digital mutilation would be another alternative. Make dealing so hazardous that the suppliers can't get the stuff out the door.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Back in the 70's I saw an interview with an ex Detroit undercover who recanted his conversation with a drug (heroin) supplier who described his plan to make as much money selling drugs as he could until he got caught, do his 3-7 years and retire on his millions. Let's see...$20M divided by an average of 5 years...hmmm...it would take a Cop 400 years to earn that much money.

...and this was a lower level supplier!

See the absence of logic in interdiction? You can't pay Cops enough money to stay clean. That much temptation will change a lot of people's minds.

The only alternative to decriminalization is to make punishment (not imprisonment or "corrections" as in "rehabilitation"...PUNISHMENT!) so draconian that it would make doing the crime just not worth it on any level. I ain't talking "waterboarding" here. I'm talking Dr. Mengele....and make it a real "reality TV" show broadcast Worldwide and in every language!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Super Tucanos warships, 3 D radar... For what??
That's the way PLD government waste our money..... But hospitals are packed of children dying with Dengue fever, in some place they have 7 patients / bed with no medicine.

JJ

Reactions: mike l and AlterEgo

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
having a "drug war" is a wonderful idea if you are rich, powerful, a washington politician/bureuacrat, country club member and you want to deny power/rights to a large part of the population. by making drugs illegal we (humanity) are divided and this is great. now large groups of people can no longer vote, don't qualify for jobs, can't own weapons, can't drive, can't get a mortgage, can't own a licquor store and the list goes on. divide and conquer. the drug war is a way to divide us, it makes a good part of the population second class ensuring that the ruling elite maintain their grasp on power. it's a great tool for denying civil rights. more than 50%, conservative, are in prison for drug related offenses, convicts then ex-cons, without any rights, a great way to keep some from getting their piece of the pie. first it was blacks and indians that sat on the back of the bus, now it's drug users, and they're too stoned to fight, perfect, so keep those drugs flowing or we have no one to put in jail.
of course a few higher-ups in the drug trade will get caught and go to jail, keeping up appearances, but the politicians and the wealthy elite who put them in office, want those drugs to keep flowing. illegal drug use could be stopped if they really wanted it stopped but the rulers don't want that, they want to seperate us. why is it that i can buy rolling papers in every convenience store, 7-11, from california to maine, in small town kansas, that i find prominently displayed drug paraphenalia? those rolling papers aren't for tobacco. the heads of these corporations know it, the govt. knows it, yet they flourish in multi flavors. there are more types of flavors, "wraps", on the street, than there are types of meat snacks.
on top of that we have a govt. that can not provide jobs to it's citizens so for many the choice is off to war, the military, or law enforcement/working in a jail or prison. large corporations work hand in hand with the govt. creating laws that make it too damn expensive for a little guy to set up shop. case in point, mcdonalds, they love health dept/restaurant laws. the little guy can't spend 100k to set up a sandwich shop, for mcdonalds this is great. almost every community college in the US now has some sort of criminal justice program. too dumb for law school? maybe after your shift at burger king at night go to school to be a probation officer.
the drug war is working perfectly, it divides us, it keeps power and money in the hands of those that got it. television cooperates by bombarding us with scary crime stories around the clock and the voters, mostly old and white, scream "get tough on crime", while their savings are being stolen in the form of taxes to pay for all this nonsense, and if someone running for office was to mention legalization then he's "soft on crime", won't get a vote.
then this "sting" in the DR where some cops get busted, a few lost jobs, sacrificial lambs, i doubt we'll see any "hard" prison time, these were not the big fish.........