Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Sooo...I asked this question in a previous post but I think it got overlooked as everyone was busy arguing about whether or not I need to bring a gun. (I'm NOT bringing an effing gun, people!)

I'm wondering about shark attacks in Cabarete. Since the water is often churned up and murky and there are lots of surfers and kiteboarders, it seems like it might be the kind of spot where you'd be at risk for an attack. I KNOW shark attacks are very rare, and I'll still go to Cabarete regardless, but I'm wondering if there have been any shark attacks in Cabarete in the past few years and if so, what the severity was and what kind of shark was involved in the attack.

I'm aware that sharks are always a risk when in the ocean, and most of them would rather stay the hell away from humans, but I'm PETRIFIED of them so I have to do my research.

And please, NO comments about "land sharks" or any other sharks of the human variety. I've already been warned.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Emily, in 10 years of visiting and more than 3 years full time here, I've not heard of a shark attack & only 2nd hand reports of them being seen very rarely outside the reef. I have a friend from Germany & when she's here 2-3 months out of the year, she typically swims the bay from point to point every morning - no problems.

If you're fortunate enough to get a response from someone like swellsurfcamp, you can rely on the info provided as they're involved directly with area water activities.

To help you with your list of things to do, check this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html Though directed at things to do with Sosua as your base, you can consider it accurate for Cabarete as well (being only 10 minutes from Sosua). Multiple activities scattered throughout that thread.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Lived there from 1992-2000, spent hours in the water every day windsurfing, often way, way outside the reef where the water turns deep, dark blue. Never saw one once. Sure they are there (outside the reef), I've seen fishermen bring in a hammerhead or two but they caught them miles outside the reef probably near the river mouth.

Hundreds of people surf, kitesurf, windsurf and spend time in the water and no one that I've ever heard of has been attacked by a big, bad fish with big, nasty pointy teeth.

Tell a lie, there was one German girl who got bitten by something at Encuentro (the surf spot) back in the early 90s - but it was a tiny bite (a dog would do more damage), could've been a baby shark, could've been a baracuda.

Relax, try to keep the Jaws theme tune out of your head, and enjoy your vacation !

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Thanks guys :) You've put my mind at ease. It's such a ridiculous phobia considering how few deaths happen each year, but man, it sure would be an awful way to die. People always say "If you're so scared of sharks just stay out of the ocean." But I think I'd rather die in the jaws of a shark than stay out of the ocean for the rest of my life. A life with no ocean is no life at all :) It's a risk I'm willing to take...even in places like Hawaii where people do get bitten often.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sharks are extremely rare in DR waters and i do not think there have been any attacks in the last few decades. of course my theory is that sharks consume all victims whole since the lack of shark attack reports :)
put ypur mind at ease and enjoy your shark-free holidays :)

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I think you are just a stiring and actually dont live here or want to come here. In all the scuba diving I have done here I have never seen any sharks which is surprising - at least not the ones with fins. Most of them are on land and have two legs!

If you are coming to Cabarete it is a great place for a holiday. If not why waste our time

Olly

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Um, wow, Olly, hostile much? Not only am I dying to visit the Dominican Republic, I have already bought tickets and booked my hotel to stay in Cabarete. So yeah, I'm coming.

I've been swimming in many places in the Pacific, Atlantic and Carribbean, and I've learned it's best to ask the locals about sharks and trust their judgement because they know best. Usually when people get attacked it's because they went swimming somewhere the locals told them not to.

It seems you didn't read my original post because I've heard all about the "sharks with two legs". My question is, if you ex-pats have such a low opinion of the locals, why would you live in the DR? If you hate the local culture, you don't have much business there. I'd say that goes for foreigners in ANY country.

It really surprises me how hostile some people are on here towards those of us with questions. I can't wait to travel to Cabarete and meet all the nice people who have been so helpful on here....but I'm staying away from you meanies!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
"A life with no ocean is no life at all :)"

Then take some SCUBA lessons and learn about the ocean...
What if your plane crashes in the sea on the way to the DR?
Quit worrying about how you MIGHT die and go live like tomorrow's your last day...

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
sharks are not a problem in Cabarete

Emily, as the waters around the north coast of the DR are fairly devoid of fish for various reasons, sharks are very rarely seen.

The last one to 'surface' was caught and killed, in my view sadly, off the reef at Perla Marina last year.

In all the years of surfing, kiteboarding and stand up paddleboarding here, we have never so much as seen one at long distance - a recent snorkelling trip we did at kite beach showed us lots of tiny fish - nothing larger than 2"

We were however this year fortunate enough to have dolphins once on the reef at kite beach and also the annual migration of humpbacks brought us fairly close to them in January and Feb off the reef at Bozo.

Your questions about Cabarete and wanting to know as much as possible about the place you are going to visit, I think is a good thing :bunny:

If you are lucky, you may see some turtles in the main bay of Cabarete.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time here. I swim in the ocean in Sosua everyday and it's wonderful. As for the sharks on this message board just disregard them. I don't understand why certain people on this board are mean. I have my own theories. Maybe they don't want their paradise to be discovered or prices to go up.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
@pyratt I've been looking into SCUBA but the cost is pretty high and we're on a budget. We may be able to make it work, and I'll be sad if we don't get to dive just because I've always wanted to and never had the opportunity. And I agree, there are a million ways to die, so no point in living in fear. That's why I go in the ocean anyway despite my ridiculous shark phobia.

Indeed, any of us might die today, which is why I wouldn't let fear or worry stop me from doing what I want to do.

The reason I ask about sharks is I've seen interviews about people who died in attacks, and almost ALL of them were swimming somewhere that sharks were known to hunt, or swimming in murky water at dusk, or doing some other stupid nonsense that could have been avoided had they ASKED the people who know and heeded the advice they were given.

I just really don't want to be that person who dies because of their own stupidity and not circumstances beyond my control. Not trying to win a Darwin Award here. :)

And I know lots about the ocean because I used to live in Hawaii and I studied at the University there and took oceanography and stuff. Which is why I ask the locals about where is safe to swim. I learned in Hawaii that when the locals tell you not to swim somewhere, you DON'T SWIM THERE. Whether it's sharks or waves or wicked ocean currents, you should listen to the people who have lived there their entire lives and know the ocean like the back of their hands.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have been windsurfing in Cabarete for 10 years. I have never heard of any shark attacks and I have never seen a shark. And I have never heard anyone else mention sharks in Cabarete.[/QUOT

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
, you DON'T SWIM THERE. Whether it's sharks or waves or wicked ocean currents, you should listen...

Speaking of currents, swimming in Cabarete Bay should be fine. Currents at the eastern point (Velero hotel) and further east can be tricky/dangerous. I don't recall if you're the person staying at Alegria (which is behind Velero), but if so, stick to the bay toward the center of town, not around the point in the other direction. Mornings are best, as kiters and windsurfers need to be watched for after the wind comes up midday.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
@pyratt I've been looking into SCUBA but the cost is pretty high and we're on a budget. We may be able to make it work, and I'll be sad if we don't get to dive just because I've always wanted to and never had the opportunity. And I agree, there are a million ways to die, so no point in living in fear. That's why I go in the ocean anyway despite my ridiculous shark phobia.

Indeed, any of us might die today, which is why I wouldn't let fear or worry stop me from doing what I want to do.

The reason I ask about sharks is I've seen interviews about people who died in attacks, and almost ALL of them were swimming somewhere that sharks were known to hunt, or swimming in murky water at dusk, or doing some other stupid nonsense that could have been avoided had they ASKED the people who know and heeded the advice they were given.

I just really don't want to be that person who dies because of their own stupidity and not circumstances beyond my control. Not trying to win a Darwin Award here. :)

And I know lots about the ocean because I used to live in Hawaii and I studied at the University there and took oceanography and stuff. Which is why I ask the locals about where is safe to swim. I learned in Hawaii that when the locals tell you not to swim somewhere, you DON'T SWIM THERE. Whether it's sharks or waves or wicked ocean currents, you should listen to the people who have lived there their entire lives and know the ocean like the back of their hands.
Lived in Hawaii, studied oceanography and dont' dive....sigh...do yourself a huge favor and take a resort course on the North Coast. Fear is nothing more than lack of knowledge. When you understand things, there's nothing to fear. A book does no justice without experience. FYI, dolphin dorsal fins ROLL thru the sea, whereas shark fins slice along the surface, dolphin flukes will create a semi-circle or circular pattern on the surface, whereas a sharks tail tip will swing side to side. If you see dolphins, sharks are usually not in the area..Good luck on your trip

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Sooo...I asked this question in a previous post but I think it got overlooked as everyone was busy arguing about whether or not I need to bring a gun. (I'm NOT bringing an effing gun, people!)

I'm wondering about shark attacks in Cabarete. Since the water is often churned up and murky and there are lots of surfers and kiteboarders, it seems like it might be the kind of spot where you'd be at risk for an attack. I KNOW shark attacks are very rare, and I'll still go to Cabarete regardless, but I'm wondering if there have been any shark attacks in Cabarete in the past few years and if so, what the severity was and what kind of shark was involved in the attack.

I'm aware that sharks are always a risk when in the ocean, and most of them would rather stay the hell away from humans, but I'm PETRIFIED of them so I have to do my research.

And please, NO comments about "land sharks" or any other sharks of the human variety. I've already been warned.

Nothing to worry much! Sharks attack mostly on Sundays. On Sunday you do not go to the beach anyway because of a huge crowds and tons of garbage. So, relax and swim nice and easy on Wednesday and Thursday!

Shark attacks are most likely to occur on Sunday in less than 6 feet of water during a new moon, a new study finds. And there's good reason: That's when a lot of surfers are in the water. Not coincidentally, surfers wearing black-and-white suits are most likely to be attacked.

Saturdays come in second place, and Fridays make a pretty good showing too, "reflective of people skipping work and taking three-day weekends," explained George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File at the University of Florida.

Sharks don't want to eat humans. Surfers and other bathers are often mistaken for seals or other typical shark meals, experts say.

Dominican Republic Horror off Death's Head Beach

Hearing the sound of a small plane overhead, some of the 15 to 20 swimmers in the open sea 20 miles off the Dominican Republic gestured frantically for help. The plane was unable to put down on water, however, and its occupants could only look on in helpless horror at the scene unfolding beneath them. The swimmers, passengers on a sinking people-smuggling ship bound for Puerto Rico, were under siege by dozens of sharks. "In one instance we saw a shark literally throw someone in the air and then attack the person," recalled one of the witnesses, Eugenio Cabral, the Dominican Republic's director of civil defense. "It was just unbearable not being able to do anything for them." As more of the swimmers were devoured, the blue waters around them turned red.

The victims of the carnage were among some 150 Dominicans, mostly young women, who had paid up to $600 each for illegal passage to Puerto Rico aboard a 50-ft. wooden fishing boat. The group had set out at 2 a.m. Tuesday from Death's Head Beach in the town of Nagua, about 110 miles north of the capital of Santo Domingo. The ship was only four miles out to sea when, according to some survivors, its two outboard motors exploded. Since most of those aboard were unable to swim, many probably drowned within a few minutes of the accident. But others, either swimming or clinging to hastily emptied floating gasoline containers, tried to reach shore.

A few made it. At 9 a.m. a man identified only as Rubio staggered ashore in Nagua and provided the first word of the tragedy. Others drifted with the current as far as 20 miles out to sea and into shark-filled waters. Some of the victims might have been saved had prompt measures been taken after Rubio's alert. Yet military authorities, complained Civil Defense Director Cabral, did not respond to his call for rescue helicopters. In a desperate effort to locate the survivors himself, he commandeered a private plane, from which he watched the sickening scene. Said Cabral: "If we had helicopters, we could have pulled some of those people out of the water. Instead, all we could do was watch as the sharks attacked them."

Besides Rubio, at least 20 other passengers were known to have reached shore. Still others may have made it to safety unnoticed. But Cabral estimates that as many as 70 of the shipwreck victims drowned or were eaten by sharks. Given the heavy volume of illegal Dominican immigration to Puerto Rico, a tragedy was almost inevitable. Indeed, hundreds of inhabitants of the impoverished Caribbean nation have perished on the dangerous 90-mile journey across the Mona Passage between the two islands. Most of the dead are victims of fierce tropical storms or unscrupulous sea captains who take their passengers' money only to throw them overboard or leave them on deserted islands to starve. Despite the odds, some 150,000 Dominicans have managed in the past few years to make it to Puerto Rico.

In an effort to stem that influx, the U.S. Border Patrol last week opened its first station outside the continental U.S. The office, located at the old Ramey Air Force Base on the west coast of Puerto Rico, will be staffed by 15 officers and equipped with two Boston Whalers and a twin-engine plane. Depending on future patterns of illegal immigration traffic, the Border Patrol may open as many as three other stations on the Puerto Rican coast.

Organized smuggling rings control much of the illegal-alien traffic into Puerto Rico. They do an especially brisk business with Dominicans, many of whom sell all their belongings for a chance to get to U.S. soil. While some Dominicans land in Puerto Rico, others travel to the continental U.S., ( especially New York City. The going rate for a no-frills, no-guarantees trip across the Mona Passage is as high as $1,000. More deluxe trips, complete with falsified documents and a truck ride to San Juan, can cost thousands of dollars.

New smugglers have begun to operate from the French-Dutch island of St. Martin, which Dominicans can enter unhindered, for trips to the less congested east coast of Puerto Rico. Luis Monge, head of the Immigration and Naturalization Service's antismuggling unit in San Juan, has targeted at least seven organizations that ship some 250 aliens to Puerto Rico a month. He claims that one man, Ramon Emilio Santana Camacho, is responsible for transporting some 30,000 Dominicans to Puerto Rico and New York since 1976. Although authorities have largely dismantled his far-flung empire, Camacho, who is something of a folk hero in the Dominican Republic, remains free and, according to Monge, is diversifying his operations into cocaine smuggling.

The Dominican exodus has grown along with the country's economic troubles. A huge foreign debt, high inflation and a 30% unemployment rate make it nearly impossible for people to make a living at home. Cutbacks in the U.S. sugar quota last year crippled the chief export industry and displaced thousands of agricultural workers. The refugee flight serves as an escape valve for social discontent, as well as a source of foreign earnings: the emigrants send home an estimated $280 million each year. Concedes Andres Moreta Damiron, the Dominican consul in San Juan: "Our government needs this injection of money."

The results are less positive for Puerto Rico. The island already suffers a 16% unemployment rate. Dominicans, many of whom will work for far less than the U.S. minimum wage of $3.35 an hour, are further undercutting Puerto Ricans in the job market. For Dominicans accustomed to making an average of $85 a month, Puerto Rico is a relative paradise. Many of the male newcomers work as mechanics or construction laborers. The women typically find jobs as housekeepers or cooks at open-air food stands, positions that Puerto Ricans tend to shun. Though the Dominican economy may benefit from such emigration, officials in Santo Domingo discourage citizens from making the perilous trip. Toward that end, they announced plans for a television commercial featuring photos of the blood-stained waters holding the bodies of those who died last week trying to make it to Puerto Rico.

Status
Not open for further replies.