Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Sharks

Sooo...I asked this question in a previous post but I think it got overlooked as everyone was busy arguing about whether or not I need to bring a gun. (I'm NOT bringing an effing gun, people!)

I'm wondering about shark attacks in Cabarete. Since the water is often churned up and murky and there are lots of surfers and kiteboarders, it seems like it might be the kind of spot where you'd be at risk for an attack. I KNOW shark attacks are very rare, and I'll still go to Cabarete regardless, but I'm wondering if there have been any shark attacks in Cabarete in the past few years and if so, what the severity was and what kind of shark was involved in the attack.

I'm aware that sharks are always a risk when in the ocean, and most of them would rather stay the hell away from humans, but I'm PETRIFIED of them so I have to do my research.

And please, NO comments about "land sharks" or any other sharks of the human variety. I've already been warned.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Emily, in 10 years of visiting and more than 3 years full time here, I've not heard of a shark attack & only 2nd hand reports of them being seen very rarely outside the reef. I have a friend from Germany & when she's here 2-3 months out of the year, she typically swims the bay from point to point every morning - no problems.

If you're fortunate enough to get a response from someone like swellsurfcamp, you can rely on the info provided as they're involved directly with area water activities.

To help you with your list of things to do, check this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-repor...red-sosua.html Though directed at things to do with Sosua as your base, you can consider it accurate for Cabarete as well (being only 10 minutes from Sosua). Multiple activities scattered throughout that thread.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lived there from 1992-2000, spent hours in the water every day windsurfing, often way, way outside the reef where the water turns deep, dark blue. Never saw one once. Sure they are there (outside the reef), I've seen fishermen bring in a hammerhead or two but they caught them miles outside the reef probably near the river mouth.

Hundreds of people surf, kitesurf, windsurf and spend time in the water and no one that I've ever heard of has been attacked by a big, bad fish with big, nasty pointy teeth.

Tell a lie, there was one German girl who got bitten by something at Encuentro (the surf spot) back in the early 90s - but it was a tiny bite (a dog would do more damage), could've been a baby shark, could've been a baracuda.

Relax, try to keep the Jaws theme tune out of your head, and enjoy your vacation !

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys :-) You've put my mind at ease. It's such a ridiculous phobia considering how few deaths happen each year, but man, it sure would be an awful way to die. People always say "If you're so scared of sharks just stay out of the ocean." But I think I'd rather die in the jaws of a shark than stay out of the ocean for the rest of my life. A life with no ocean is no life at all :-) It's a risk I'm willing to take...even in places like Hawaii where people do get bitten often.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

sharks are extremely rare in DR waters and i do not think there have been any attacks in the last few decades. of course my theory is that sharks consume all victims whole since the lack of shark attack reports
    put ypur mind at ease and enjoy your shark-free holidays

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are just a stiring and actually dont live here or want to come here. In all the scuba diving I have done here I have never seen any sharks which is surprising - at least not the ones with fins. Most of them are on land and have two legs!

If you are coming to Cabarete it is a great place for a holiday. If not why waste our time

Olly

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Um, wow, Olly, hostile much? Not only am I dying to visit the Dominican Republic, I have already bought tickets and booked my hotel to stay in Cabarete. So yeah, I'm coming.

I've been swimming in many places in the Pacific, Atlantic and Carribbean, and I've learned it's best to ask the locals about sharks and trust their judgement because they know best. Usually when people get attacked it's because they went swimming somewhere the locals told them not to.

It seems you didn't read my original post because I've heard all about the "sharks with two legs". My question is, if you ex-pats have such a low opinion of the locals, why would you live in the DR? If you hate the local culture, you don't have much business there. I'd say that goes for foreigners in ANY country.

It really surprises me how hostile some people are on here towards those of us with questions. I can't wait to travel to Cabarete and meet all the nice people who have been so helpful on here....but I'm staying away from you meanies!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"A life with no ocean is no life at all :-)"

Then take some SCUBA lessons and learn about the ocean...
    What if your plane crashes in the sea on the way to the DR?
    Quit worrying about how you MIGHT die and go live like tomorrow's your last day...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sharks are not a problem in Cabarete

Emily, as the waters around the north coast of the DR are fairly devoid of fish for various reasons, sharks are very rarely seen.

The last one to 'surface' was caught and killed, in my view sadly, off the reef at Perla Marina last year.

In all the years of surfing, kiteboarding and stand up paddleboarding here, we have never so much as seen one at long distance - a recent snorkelling trip we did at kite beach showed us lots of tiny fish - nothing larger than 2"

We were however this year fortunate enough to have dolphins once on the reef at kite beach and also the annual migration of humpbacks brought us fairly close to them in January and Feb off the reef at Bozo.

Your questions about Cabarete and wanting to know as much as possible about the place you are going to visit, I think is a good thing

If you are lucky, you may see some turtles in the main bay of Cabarete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast