Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping a small box to Santiago -- TransExpress?

I was hoping to get any experiences or insight into this matter. I posted a few months about something similar, but now I have more information and more knowledge.

I have a box, approximately 19 inches by 14 inches by 7 inches and weighs 22 pounds. I need to get it to Santiago. It contains school supplies and children's books. Through USPS, it will cost about $90 USD.

I was just wondering if there was a better way? I was put in touch with a shipping service, but he no longer ships boxes. I have read about Transexpress, and used their calculator to figure out how much it would be for my size box, and it is $56. However, does anyone know if I can send a personal box though TransExpress or does it have to be from a retail store?

Thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What make this service expensive is the area of the US where you lives. I'm pretty sure that from NY City you will find shipping company for half of the price you get here in Raleigh.
    There is a Hispanic super market at the corner of New Hope Church Rd. and Atlantic Av. go there and ask for info about someone who comes from NY to deliver Hispanic produces and at the same time pick up boxes to be send to DR.
    I was told about this service...

JJ

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

US$90 isn't that bad.

You can send it Business Mail if you have a membership for around $21 or so...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you would need to send them an email....I received something that had no invoice and they charged an extra dollar, but it was from a shop, they just forgot the invoice, Im not sure what they do for items not bought new

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    US$90 isn't that bad.

You can send it Business Mail if you have a membership for around $21 or so...
    Are you sure about that price, I find their charges to be rather high.

Carmen Cargo Express charges $80 for a box 19x19x28, to your door in the DR.
    Our last box weighted about 110 lbs.

I am thinking about changing to Trans Express.
    WindyGuy here on DR1 has lots of experience with Trans Express I believe.

SantiagoDR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Transexpress alot too. I use them in Sosua. I order from retailers and haven't had anyone send me a box but I have a friend who has boxes sent to her no problem
    via Transexpress.
    If you are getting school supplies for a charity or something maybe you can get an airline to bring it down.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Are you sure about that price, I find their charges to be rather high.
    Yes.
    I needed to ship a small one pound box to CA.

EPS: $1655
    Mailbox, Etc.: $1750 or $1625

Chip suggested Business mail. Their flyer states their regular service from Miami: US$2.25lb. Their "5-7 day" service: starts @ US.99lb for the first 30lbs. and drops from there.

I joined and shipped that box to CA via Miami USPS for around RD$940.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got a large 6.6lb box shipped transexpress to Sosua and it was 899 pesos.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Yes.
    I needed to ship a small one pound box to CA.

EPS: $1655
    Mailbox, Etc.: $1750 or $1625

Chip suggested Business mail. Their flyer states their regular service from Miami: US$2.25lb. Their "5-7 day" service: starts @ US.99lb for the first 30lbs. and drops from there.

I joined and shipped that box to CA via Miami USPS for around RD$940.
    I can't find the paper work to back up my statement.
    But let me say the following:

I purchased an "EarthQuake Alarm" from the States. it weighs mere ounces.
    It was shipped to Miami Business Mail via USPS by the seller.
    The box was marked 3 lbs, it weighed less than a pound probably and perhaps 3 lbs was a price range for the USPS service.
    Business Mail charged me for 3 lbs of weight.

And sent it in 4 days from the day they received it, thus they charged me the higher rate as you stated above. To me Business Mail used that loop hole to overcharge me the higher rate both for shipping time and weight. I asked why they shipped it "Express", their answer was something like, because it was SMALL and did not weigh much. So in other words, they chose the method that was more profitable to them. IE: $2.25 lb vs $.99 lb

Because of the excess transportation fees, the total cost was more than I could have bought the thing for in OchoA here in Santiago.

My friend Mike bought an FTA receiver, same model that I had bought.
    I used Business Mail, he used Trans Express.
    He paid a lot less than I did for the Miami to DR service.
    Again they hit me for the higher transportation fees.
    (PS: He got his in less time then it took me to get mine)

Business Mail seems to always deliver my stuff in 4 days after they receive it, thus always charging the higher shipping rates because of 1 day.......
    I complained once about it being late and that I had confirmation of when they received it. They claimed that was wrong, the date I gave was the date it got to the zip code, not to them. DUH!

SantiagoDR

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    I can't find the paper work to back up my statement.
    But let me say the following:

I purchased an "EarthQuake Alarm" from the States. it weighs mere ounces.
    It was shipped to Miami Business Mail via USPS by the seller.
    The box was marked 3 lbs, it weighed less than a pound probably and perhaps 3 lbs was a price range for the USPS service.
    Business Mail charged me for 3 lbs of weight.

And sent it in 4 days from the day they received it, thus they charged me the higher rate as you stated above. To me Business Mail used that loop hole to overcharge me the higher rate both for shipping time and weight. I asked why they shipped it "Express", their answer was something like, because it was SMALL and did not weigh much. So in other words, they chose the method that was more profitable to them. IE: $2.25 lb vs $.99 lb

Because of the excess transportation fees, the total cost was more than I could have bought the thing for in OchoA here in Santiago.

My friend Mike bought an FTA receiver, same model that I had bought.
    I used Business Mail, he used Trans Express.
    He paid a lot less than I did for the Miami to DR service.
    Again they hit me for the higher transportation fees.
    (PS: He got his in less time then it took me to get mine)

Business Mail seems to always deliver my stuff in 4 days after they receive it, thus always charging the higher shipping rates because of 1 day.......
    I complained once about it being late and that I had confirmation of when they received it. They claimed that was wrong, the date I gave was the date it got to the zip code, not to them. DUH!

SantiagoDR
    Ypou asked a question, I gave an answer. Their literature and customer service people quote two prices. Perhaps you have to request the lower cost service. I dunno.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast