Cost of Endoscopy - upper GI

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My post about apple cider vinegar on AZB's thread made me wonder how much approximate does an endoscopy / upper GI cost in The DR for someone without local insurance. I've been wanting to have one, but here in The US is a huge pain first trying to convince your doctor to order one, then trying to get appointment, etc...So I thought if it was inexpensive enough I may have one done down there next time I go.

Of course I understand the cost will probably vary a lot depending on where it's done (how ritzy the place is), but a general idea would be great as right now I have not a clue as to a ballpark figure.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
My post about apple cider vinegar on AZB's thread made me wonder how much approximate does an endoscopy / upper GI cost in The DR for someone without local insurance. I've been wanting to have one, but here in The US is a huge pain first trying to convince your doctor to order one, then trying to get appointment, etc...So I thought if it was inexpensive enough I may have one done down there next time I go.

Of course I understand the cost will probably vary a lot depending on where it's done (how ritzy the place is), but a general idea would be great as right now I have not a clue as to a ballpark figure.

It appears your doctor may not think this test is warranted. If you on the other hand choose to proceed with it abroad, what will you do with the results in terms of treatment? I only ask this as in my experience working in healthcare, NA doctors generally dont treat patients based on test findings done out-of-country and will likely want the test repeated in the centre where they work. (and I am in no way questioning the expertise of a foreign MD).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As far convincing the doctor in the US to order a colonoscopy... I had just the opposite experience.

He was insisting and i held him off for a bit.
My MD was all over it for 55 year old patients..... I got the 10 year pass.... and loved the little sleep they give you !!

WW

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Dear Cobraboy

Very informative, I just hope they disenfect perfectly between either end applications, possibly dipping in Jeyes FLuid for at least 45 minutes, or Clorox / Domestos (known to wipe out 99% of known germs), it's the 1% remaining that worry me, since surely they will be the strongest of the batch !!

The immagination starts !

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dear Cobraboy

Very informative, I just hope they disenfect perfectly between either end applications, possibly dipping in Jeyes FLuid for at least 45 minutes, or Clorox / Domestos (known to wipe out 99% of known germs), it's the 1% remaining that worry me, since surely they will be the strongest of the batch !!

The immagination starts !
My experience @ HOMS with Dr. Russel was totally first world. And in many ways much better.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
On a serious note, I also cannot ever complain at the medical care in SD. I had a very small op but very complicated in Jan with 100% success result, and the Dr's were very professional. Indeed they appeared hust to take it in their stride, going about their job as true dedicated medics.

Makes me believe the old system in the UK where you paid the DR on his visit ( I think in those days about 2 shillings and sixpence) I remember my grandmother saying, you got a far better service, now what I see is a health care system which is split into 2, one for the haves and the other the have nots, where the NHS trained Dr's supplement their salaries by moonlighting the private clinics doing private meds.

Again herewith full of praise for what I have experienced to date in the DR.

Regards FM:tired:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I had an endoscope done in January. Don't recall cost and am presently in US. Will see if I can find the info and post it.