Saturday in Jarabacoa & environs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday I cranked up the big Chevy Trailblazer and went to pick up a few students of Estomatology (DDS) to do a survey of needs up in the mountains south of Jarabacoa. This was Los Marranitos, the mountaintop area around the Alta Gracia coffee farm. Maine Girl and I had scouted the area, painted the school with her kids and faculty members, and I had identified a need for dental care that was horrifyingly obvious. We coordinated with Ria and later on with Amalia and on Saturday we looked at 44 persons in need of serious dental work.

Most had never been to a dentist, it is just not on their agendas..

Time will tell just how we can resolve this and other community needs...there is a deaf mute that might have some hearing, there is an old lady that has no teeth, there are young kids who have to have all of their baby teeth removed in order to avoid serious infections, and a year or two of no teeth before their adult teeth come in!!! Their mothers let them go to sleep with the baby bottle in their mouths and all that sweet milk just sitting there eating away at their teeth...

When we get the budget all worked out and the personnel together, sometime in late August or early September, we'll go back for a weekend of hard but rewarding work...

THEN we went to see Acira and her brood along with the Australian shepard(?) and her comparitively tiny litter.

The Malinois are doing great, noisy, and getting their eyes open...Mom and Dad are fine and the "grandparents" are just barely holding up.

Finally, we went over to the golf club and had a late lunch and some cold Presidente...

Long day, a lot of travel but worth every minute...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Should have called me. I could have gotten y'all a trip to the peak of Los Marrinitos and the environs therein. And maybe a trip to Los Dajos where the family foundation has established a truly unique "play-it-forward" sustainable carrot/stick means of charity.

I may be able to get a local dentist to give your folks a hand...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
It was nice meeting you HB and we find it very recommendable what you are doing up there in the mountains.

You know also a lot about having puppies around hence your remark on our self built puppy crate for Flash and as a true professor you were explaining the girls why the bars where in the crate ;)

And...we are "holding up" here with 19 pups :bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Emailed you.

Yeah, I know, but we were running late on the food, and I wanted to keep to the schedule..

We were IN Los Marranitos....

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
:)

You are always up to good, HB!

I'm willing to bet the kids at my school would raise some $$ for Cristian (the deaf mute) to be tested at Corominas--say the word. His experience featured large in their reflections.

For those of you who want to learn more about los Marranitos and my kids experience there...

Service - Dirigo International Service Club

and enjoy this video too.

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9704193&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9704193&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

It gives a taste of the size and scope of the projects at Marranitos.

That's such of nice work being done, I will be going from Miami to Jarabacoa on August 18th and can contribuite with some school material and medical supplies you guys think appropiate. Also, if you can publish what days you guys plan to return it would be great to meet you up there and be able to lend a hand.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well done Mainegirl and HB...

If more folks DO than just talk, some real progress can be made...