Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Carrots?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Small Carrots?

Anyone know where to buy small carrots? I am not talking about the tiny ones that are.. imported from the States but SMALLER local ones?

The local carrots are -- well -- fit for horses..

I do not know how much longer they leave them in the ground to grow that big - become tough.. loose all of their sweetness..

but they are really a sort of sad distortion of what a carrot should be ..

perhaps I am searching for an upscale, maybe organic greengrocer?

(probably in Piantini or Naco? Or maybe in some open air market?)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am reading with you in search for an answer, carrots are very big over here, didn't find the small local ones either if they exist at all.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps grow some and dig them up sooner, i.e. before they get too big and tough hehehe

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i have never seen a small dominican carrot. the only way is to grow it yourself, i guess...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Punta Cana the Eco Foundation sells it's organic carrots and they are normal sized, small carrots! But I guess that doesn't help you in Santo Domingo.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In Santiago, the majority of carrots at Nacional are more or less "normal" sized, and at La Sirena around 10-20% are...the rest appear to be given carrot steroids or nuclear radiation of some sort...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    In Santiago, the majority of carrots at Nacional are more or less "normal" sized, and at La Sirena around 10-20% are...the rest appear to be given carrot steroids or nuclear radiation of some sort...
    oh I see all the nice small sweet carrots are going to Santiago! Perhaps we need to start a Facebook group and have a march.....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pricesmart

You'll find them at Pricesmart. They are not local though. DR is known to still be using fertilizers banned in other nations for decades = HUGE veggies, and not so good for your health...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean what my grandmother used to refer to as "sweet carrots." She used to call the over-sized ones "horse carrots" as you might too. Good luck finding them.

I don't think it's fertilizer as much as a different variety. My big thing was trying to find red onions bigger than squash balls to make onion rings. At least the potatoes are good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I find most of veggies here fantastic. There are varieties of peppers and eggplants that I have never seen. And the tomatoes are wonderful ALL YEAR.. not to even mention the avocados!

So I do not think that this is a question of fertilizers so much as a question of what they are used to eating.

I have served carrots to Dominicans who swooned because they had never tasted the sweetness of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast