Better Dominican Products

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
In addition to the HONEY here which fantastic -- as O&C has so clearly observed...

I have found a couple of products here that are simply BETTER than anything I have ever used]

One is the talcum powder which contains boric acid and zinc called "DEPORTE" which works brilliantly on any sort of rash or sunburn..

The other is " Sepitcon" which takes away the pain of even a severe tooth ache..... seems to be like the septic pencil for shaving == and cancer sores -- but seems amazing when compared to any sort of US made mouth wash.

Any others?

(figure we need to start more of an export business)

May 29, 2006
Do you mean the mouthwash with guatapanal in it? That was powerful stuff and will whiten your teeth too. I think it has a lot of hydrogen peroxide in it.

The liquid b-complex is good stuff(usually sold to improve appetite in kids.) It is about half of what you would pay for it in the US and most US stuff is in pills or energy drinks.

I also hear great things about the whole baba de caracol line of beauty products but maybe a new name would help for marketing in the US since it translates into "snail slime" That alone could have a very big market in the US. Dominican beauty shops are all over in urban areas now.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
That is good to know about the liquid B -- I will look for it since I usually bring my vitamins back from the States.

And I will try the Snail Slime products!

When I was in Australia, they had a fantastic papaya cream which healed everything. That.. along with the teatree oil, were the standard Ozzie medical kit.They had tours of the papaya plantations with an entire array of products

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Also the herbal teas here are great and a far cry from the Celestial Seasonings that we get in the US. There is a "relaxing" tea which is really at the high medicinal level -- almost like KavaKava. It would most likely be banned in the States since it is at medicinal strength.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
That is good to know about the liquid B -- I will look for it since I usually bring my vitamins back from the States.

And I will try the Snail Slime products!

When I was in Australia, they had a fantastic papaya cream which healed everything. That.. along with the teatree oil, were the standard Ozzie medical kit.They had tours of the papaya plantations with an entire array of products

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Also the herbal teas here are great and a far cry from the Celestial Seasonings that we get in the US. There is a "relaxing" tea which is really at the high medicinal level -- almost like KavaKava. It would most likely be banned in the States since it is at medicinal strength.

Where do you get the tea tree oil here??

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Jagua tea is supposed to be very good at controlling high blood pressure.

A friend of mine was offered some whilst doing some business in a bank. He fainted soon after drinking it! He usually has low blood pressure, so the extra drop brought on by the Jagua was enough for him to faint!

For me, the tea is fairly innocuous in taste, whereas the juice is horrible! To me it tastes like plastic. Luckily I don't have high blood pressure.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
And what about Lemisol?

The so called "feminine" intimate body wash.

I love that tingle it gives you in the shower...And I'm a fella!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where do you get the tea tree oil here??

Never found it in DR, but I just bought a tiny bottle last week in a CVS Drug Store near my house [US]. The bottle is smaller than a nail polish bottle, and it was about $8-9.

AE

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Never found it in DR, but I just bought a tiny bottle last week in a CVS Drug Store near my house [US]. The bottle is smaller than a nail polish bottle, and it was about $8-9.

AE

Thanks AE, I suppose I will have to wait to get some if I return to Europe or maybe I can ask somebody to bring me a bottle from the States (price is as much the same as in Europe).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks AE, I suppose I will have to wait to get some if I return to Europe or maybe I can ask somebody to bring me a bottle from the States (price is as much the same as in Europe).

If you don't get it before I come down in January, I'll bring you a bottle. I don't know how your mail delivery is, but I could also mail one to you if it's decent. I sent an envelope to Mountainannie that got there rather quickly, I was very surprised. If you want to try that, PM me your name & address.

AE

Reactions: Acira

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
a good place to shop?

yesterday I found a website in the US which sells medicines, and herbal oils, homeopathic products, and bach blossoms at incredible prices...

www.vitasprings.dom...

aside from immodium which I was looking for, at an incredible price, I also found several products, which we use for our dogs, but can be used for humans as well, at prices well below the average... (traumeel, teatree, etc...)

anybody any experience with these guys?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
generic imodium in DR is called prodom and sells at 18 pesos for a packet of two pills.

and i do not quite get this honey thing. dominican honey is boring! in UK there is wider choice and you can get manuka honey, my favourite. and back home we have honeydew - absolutely delicious. and white canola honey - i have not seen it here either. boring, boring, bored.

i will try desporte thou, it also comes in a small pot in creamy form. and i will give septicon a try.

the only really good dominican products are tropical fruits: more fresh, more ripe and tastier than what you can get in europe. but then bananas and pineapple are not exclusively dominican...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
generic imodium in DR is called prodom and sells at 18 pesos for a packet of two pills.

and i do not quite get this honey thing. dominican honey is boring! in UK there is wider choice and you can get manuka honey, my favourite. and back home we have honeydew - absolutely delicious. and white canola honey - i have not seen it here either. boring, boring, bored.

i will try desporte thou, it also comes in a small pot in creamy form. and i will give septicon a try.

the only really good dominican products are tropical fruits: more fresh, more ripe and tastier than what you can get in europe. but then bananas and pineapple are not exclusively dominican...

So thats quite expensive.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'm thinking of starting an immodium smuggling business. I have to travel to Miami at least once every three months, so I can buy it at WalMart there and bring back here and sell it at premium prices.

Just joking on that, but perhaps a separate thread should be the things that are so difficult to find here, or able to be found but at a premium price. Perhaps we could work out a barter exchange system.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I'm thinking of starting an immodium smuggling business. I have to travel to Miami at least once every three months, so I can buy it at WalMart there and bring back here and sell it at premium prices.

Just joking on that, but perhaps a separate thread should be the things that are so difficult to find here, or able to be found but at a premium price. Perhaps we could work out a barter exchange system.

Walmart has it but you can buy cheaper in the US :cheeky:
Not a bad idea though to work out some kind of exchange system.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I think that the thread of Mountainannie concirning better Dominican Products and the idea of Puryear of a thread for things to bring over from the States or Europe both deserve to be a sticky.

Robert?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

this is the reason for the promotion of Dominican honey
Fears for crops as shock figures from America show scale of bee catastrophe | Environment | The Observer

There is no hive collapse here .....

But with the US having lost one third of its honey producers - there is an opening in the market.