Sosua Street Kids ...Trouble In Progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What I witnessed today and was a party to over the last few days was disturbing but given the instincts of survival was within the norm.

Brahma Light ran a promotion giving out T-Shirts and I bought all they had and handed them out to those in need but the big kids STOLE those as well.

The big kids are stealing from the little kids for whatever pesos they collect.

Brahma Lite!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
survival of the fittest. what i normally do is walk with the little kids away from the big kids and give them something. if its food, i will sit with them and watch them eat, the big kids won't bother them while you're around. i usually won't give them things that can be taken from them by the big kids like t-shirts, etc.

this may sound a little too much for some people, but i do try to help a little.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If you think Sosua is bad

Yesterday I was in Santiago, 4 & 5 year olds on the street alone. There is no solution to the problem. As long as the soldiers on the border keep taking bribes to let them cross they will keep coming. I feel sorry for the young ones because they are learning all the wrong things from the older ones.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes well, feel sorry for them now (I understand), but be prepared to be afraid of them in a few years. If they steal (bully) from each other, by mere force... guess what they will have learned to do in a couple more years?

Yet another key ingredient which will dramatically change life in this country too soon.

... J-D.

Reactions: woofsback

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Be extra careful if eating at outside tables on Pedro Clissante! They run by and steal everything from the table. Last night it cost my friend an expensive Sony camera. (I wont mention name of the restaurant not to hurt his business further, but no more eating in the outdoors in Sosua!!)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've seen this before and some dominicans caught them and beat them up. yes, adults beating up little kids for stealing...

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I don't think telling the name of the restaurant will hurt business. It has nothing to do with the quality of the food etc. Instead it will warn people when going to this restaurant not to leave valuables unwatched. Sitting outside, eating and/or people watching on Pedro Clisante is one of the fun things to do in Sosua. It amazes me everytime I see someone set up their laptop at Baileys and then go to the cafeteria line. This is a very poor country. It's not smart to walk around with valuables. If you do keep your eyes on them at all times.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
survival of the fittest. what i normally do is walk with the little kids away from the big kids and give them something. if its food, i will sit with them and watch them eat, the big kids won't bother them while you're around. i usually won't give them things that can be taken from them by the big kids like t-shirts, etc.

this may sound a little too much for some people, but i do try to help a little.

thanks for that! For setting a Good Example.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

you're a good man Kyle...I've done the same for my "shoe shine mafia" in Sto. Dgo. they appreciate it, you can tell by their smiles! :pirate:

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I want to help

I'm coming to Cabarete for a visit in September and I would like to bring some clothes and/or supplies for the street kids in Sosua. What are they most in need of? Does anyone have tips for me? I understand that these kids can be a criminal nuisance but I can't stand to see a hungry child anywhere and I'd like to do what I can. Thanks.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I'm coming to Cabarete for a visit in September and I would like to bring some clothes and/or supplies for the street kids in Sosua. What are they most in need of? Does anyone have tips for me? I understand that these kids can be a criminal nuisance but I can't stand to see a hungry child anywhere and I'd like to do what I can. Thanks.

Good for you! But is it really for whom you are trying to help?

What ever you bring to "give" them, you might just as well bring three times as many, and of those, yet again three times as many... Why? For every each thing they'll receive it will convince at least TWO more to come to the DR, live misery and eventually fall into crime! Because? It WORKS or at least, you will for a split second have made it seem that it does, and the good news travel fast and far!
These kids come or are being sent here (DR) and concentrate in cities and touristy towns based on their misconception that they'll have an "easy(ier)" life. That "there" is MONEY... and that gringos "GIVE" (and when they don't, one can alternatively easily TAKE). If you throw "sugar" at them, you only give short relief, which as described by the OP can actually quickly turn in grief, yet steadily FUEL that misconception. It's a vicious circle which just spirals larger and larger!

I am truly sorry, I feel I have to say this so bluntly, especially since I am convinced you only mean good.
But, may I remind that there are Dominican children in the Dominican Republic who ARE needy. If you feel like helping kids in the Dominican Republic, why not start there. Don't you feel that would seem more appropriate and more likely to have a chance, as minor as may be, to a successful outcome?
Similarly, if you prefer to help Haitian children -and I'd applaud that too- why then not start IN HAITI and help them survive, grow and become productive in their country where they ARE legal and might have a chance? They will NEVER have a future beyond crime, jail and most likely a violent early death in the DR!

If you want to help, try to get them into schools in their country. No knowledge - no future (or just a grim one).

... J-D.

Reactions: Mujermaravilla

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
J.D-- read the post again - she was simply talking about "street kids in Sosua" -- not HAITIAN kids in Sosua.. Or do you only have Hatitian street kids in Sosua, no Dominicans?

Hard to be sure which kids were here before the Haitian invasion,and harder to give to only a few children and have them get home safely with their gift of clothing.

If you are going to do it, wait until the last full day of your trip, or the last day you expect to be in Sosua. Otherwise you may be followed by numbers of kids expecting handouts.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hard to be sure which kids were here before the Haitian invasion,and harder to give to only a few children and have them get home safely with their gift of clothing.
\.

Are you talking about after the Quake? Could you estimate how many Haitian kids are there? Do you have any info on how the Haitian kids are living-- i.e. are they with Haitian parents or in a sort of gang?

I am asking because there was recent press about the Haitian kids in the DR with all sort of hype of building them a shelter -- but when I talked with CONANI they only had 25 Haitian kids in custody. So I am wondering if they are preparing a place for more of the kids or whether this is just smoke and mirrors.

You can PM me any info if you do not want to post.

Aug 21, 2007
As far as Sosua is concerned, I know from a very reliable source that an orphanage is in the process of being built which will then be supported, operated and managed by the Catholic diocese in Puerto Plata. I know the location, but will only post after I receive permission.

This would be a great opportunity for some of the street kids. The trick is having a professional on the street who is known and trusted by them to sort the kids out, learning who is truly an orphan and what their circumstances are, and who is a good candidate for leaving what they know on the street for another type of life altogether.

Smart placement would be the key to success for both the orphanage and the kids.

Lindsey

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
As far as Sosua is concerned, I know from a very reliable source that an orphanage is in the process of being built which will then be supported, operated and managed by the Catholic diocese in Puerto Plata. I know the location, but will only post after I receive permission.

This would be a great opportunity for some of the street kids. The trick is having a professional on the street who is known and trusted by them to sort the kids out, learning who is truly an orphan and what their circumstances are, and who is a good candidate for leaving what they know on the street for another type of life altogether.

Smart placement would be the key to success for both the orphanage and the kids.

Lindsey

Even not being catholic, I am inclined to trust THIS could be a real solution. And inclined to recommend anybody who wants to help, to chip in THERE.
On the other hand, the second half of above post has me somewhat worried. What will happen to the kids which do not "qualify"? Will they just remain and the ones which do will just be "re-filled" by new arrivals?

What is needed here is a SOLUTION. I understand they may not all become the Dioceses's responsibility... but the goal must be to get some sort of closing on the issue?

And Mountainannie, I think you DO realize that, while Dominican cities and coastal towns do have a history of kids, in the past often mostly DOMINICAN kids, "doing" the streets, as shoe shine boys which sometimes DO go to school and not seldom DO have a home to go back to come sundown, recent events however, seem to indicate that there is a drastic in the demographics, "occupation" and last but not leas untraceable family status (or apparently total lack thereof)... and that that change is mostly driven by a fairly new overpopulation of kids of Haitian origin, which mostly are not going to any school, not even after doing shoe shine jobs or trying to bully local kids out of the "territory", are reported to tend to fall into "early" drugs (snorting solvents, some possibly even crack) and thus displaying much more aggressive behavior.
"Helping" this later group of children, which is not a minority anymore, "blindly", by handing out "gifts" is what I question, as it seems only to give little short lived relief (if not fuel gang type feuds among the different age groups) and WILL, so my theory based on what I see here and seen in other countries with a history of similar problems, only attract more Haitian kids to meet the same dead end faith here.

I can understand that mine so bluntly posting my opinion here may be received with some discomfort and I don't hold that up against you.

... J-D.

Reactions: mike l

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Why do you need permission to name the area where the orphanage is being built? Surely, if you have confidence and belief in this orphanage, you should be proud to share the information of its location, particularly if it is sited/located near to your home.

J&T

Lindsey

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you talking about after the Quake? Could you estimate how many Haitian kids are there? Do you have any info on how the Haitian kids are living-- i.e. are they with Haitian parents or in a sort of gang?

I am asking because there was recent press about the Haitian kids in the DR with all sort of hype of building them a shelter -- but when I talked with CONANI they only had 25 Haitian kids in custody. So I am wondering if they are preparing a place for more of the kids or whether this is just smoke and mirrors.

You can PM me any info if you do not want to post.

No, I don't know how many there are. There was a thread on them not too long ago. They, or at least some of them, seem to live on the street. I also see some sleeping on park benches during the day.

Yes well, feel sorry for them now (I understand), but be prepared to be afraid of them in a few years. If they steal (bully) from each other, by mere force... guess what they will have learned to do in a couple more years?

Yet another key ingredient which will dramatically change life in this country too soon.

... J-D.

These kids will very shortly be robbing and killing us!!! Unless there is something done soon. They should be sent back to their own country. Well said JD

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
I never give money or material objects to kids or anyone else. It creates a vicious circle whereby they become dependent on handouts. I only give food and drinks... because this cannot be stolen from them and it doesn't make them as dependent.

Education is the key to the tragedy of poverty. Give to any organization or church that will help to educate the poor. I believe in the notion that if you teach someone to fish, you'll help feed them for the rest of their lives.

Money, clothing and other objects can be stolen... but what's in someone's head will remain there until the day they die.

Reactions: J D Sauser
Status
Not open for further replies.