Secrets Sanctuary, Cap Cana

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Hi all,
I have a friend who is wanting to plan a honeymoon trip in the fall to Secrets resort in Cap Cana and he asked me if I knew anything about it. I do not since my experience is limited to the North Coast. I told him I knew a way to find out some info with all of you experts on DR1! : )
So.............I did an online search of the place and have found some scathing reviews which are saying it has the potential to be amazing but falls far short of that now, since it is not completed. I seem to recall reading something about the construction coming to a halt once the economy went south.
Any of the photos I can see are really gorgeous but if you look closely you can see that the construction is really not done yet!
So, do anyone of you have first hand accounts of Cap Cana and area? Is it finished? Is it an amazing destination? Or just the potential to be one.
Thank you all for your input!
Sunny

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
Sanctuary/Secrets

When the resort was The Sanctuary is was wonderful. Had the opportunity to stay there several times and each time found it to be excellent. It is completed and has been for some time. Cap Cana will be "in progress" for many years to come. It is a very significant piece of property and too many things need to be done to it. Also the economy in the last 2 years has not been kind to the developers. However, now that the resort has been taken over by Secrets, as an all inclusive, it is different. The quality of the product is reduced and though it is a very high end and very expensive, all inclusive, it still breeds the AI feel. The physical space is beautifully done. The two beach clubs, especially Caleton, rank with the best in the Med or other spots. In being there and in the surrounding areas such as the Marina, one would say, this cannot be the DR as everything is so well done. But again, Secrets is a very good organization, but still as an AI, the staff responds differently and the overall approach is not what it used to be or should be. But it is a setting to enjoy and for a honeymoon or special event, I would imagine it would be just the thing.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Hi all,
I have a friend who is wanting to plan a honeymoon trip in the fall to Secrets resort in Cap Cana and he asked me if I knew anything about it. I do not since my experience is limited to the North Coast. I told him I knew a way to find out some info with all of you experts on DR1! : )
So.............I did an online search of the place and have found some scathing reviews which are saying it has the potential to be amazing but falls far short of that now, since it is not completed. I seem to recall reading something about the construction coming to a halt once the economy went south.
Any of the photos I can see are really gorgeous but if you look closely you can see that the construction is really not done yet!
So, do anyone of you have first hand accounts of Cap Cana and area? Is it finished? Is it an amazing destination? Or just the potential to be one.
Thank you all for your input!
Sunny

Do not do it. It is not finished. It is going to be a waste of money.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Now what?

Ha! Two very different replies! Now I am in the same boat! Anyone else care to chime in? : )

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Secrets Sanctuary and Cap Cana

I am in Cap Cana Aquamarina - own here and always enjoy my beautiful condo here. That being said -- Cap Cana (the area) is Not nearly finished. The Marina does have apartments that I know are being rented - but there is little for anyone to really do here except to enjoy what this area offers -- beautiful Juanillo Beach or Caleton Beach Club area you need to either be renting probably directly from Cap Cana. Here at Aquamarina area the beaches and 2 pools are pretty empty but the water is beautiful. Drove to Secrets Sanctuary - I will be going to Blue Marlin restaurant p.m. I have a feel that the scathing reviews are correct. It is a gorgeous property but not being a guest there I just don't know what to tell you. Cap Cana for those who care has made great progress - they have constructed a village to try and compete with Punta Cana Village. There is a mexican restaurant, a place to eat called Sunset Bar and Grill and a Supermercado has been constructed. What it will be called - don't know now.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Do not do it. It is not finished. It is going to be a waste of money.

whats your comment based on???
the secrets Sanctuary is finished since long.
Cap Cana as a large development of a very large City is in progress, but like planned it needs some more years to be finished.
the Sanctuary itself is a gorgeous location, great dining around, top Beaches, nothing else to do in cap cana, but for a Honeymoon Couple I would guess that's a positive, b/c a quiet relaxing atmosphere on a Top Beach at a Top Location may be the preference.
I personally don't like the way it is run by the AM all inclusive Management, IMHO it took half of the Place's Flair away due the simple fact to run it as an AI, and reading Customers Feedback confirmes that AM is not doing a big Job on that.
We've been there beginning of last month with a large group of people for a Fishing Tournament, I liked the Style and Services 2 classes better before it became a AI under AM Management.
the Aquamarina Condos is a great Complex,
yes, I guess you have mostly the pool to yourself, but depending on each''s preferences such can be a Plus/Positive, over a crowded pool with a animation Team hopping around, lol.
the whole Marina Area there is just perfectly done and provides the best services for a wide area of hundreds of miles around to be found.
cheers
Mike

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I went and saw the whole Cap Cana development this weekend. It is very impressive. It will eventually be like a new city. I really hope it works out. It could be an engine for the whole area. When you think about that is not really that long ago they started and that it is a huge development they have actually come a long way already.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I went and saw the whole Cap Cana development this weekend. It is very impressive. It will eventually be like a new city. I really hope it works out. It could be an engine for the whole area. When you think about that is not really that long ago they started and that it is a huge development they have actually come a long way already.
absolutely correct John.
the sheer size of the Area, larger sized than any City in the area, and the fact of many different investors, not just one big shot who does it all, no, many different developers with their specific own development/project/investment,
such needs time and it anyways been never planned to be finished in a year or 2 or 3.
when Cap Cana Started not so long ago the dates given out for the earliest finishing been 2013,
we are in mid 2010 today, so til now there's nothing behind shedule.
and the area is gorgeous!
Yes, it is expensive,
that's the whole basic Idea of the whole project,
it is not meant for the avaerage All Inclusive Tourist, by far not,
a point why a AI shortterm project like the AM Management at the Great Sanctuary Cap Cana is for the project at all a clear Downgrade.
but it happened in the middle of the developing phase,
the owners of the Sanctuary will bring their Top Property back on Line with a propper professional Management when the Time for the whole Project comes.
til now each single investor looks to cover the maintenance costs of course,
absolutely usual worldwide on such large and expensive developments.
Mike

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Thanks everyone. I think I will just forward this info to him and let him make up his own mind about the place.
Sunny

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Mike - re: Aquamarina -I love love love that we have pools mostly to ourselves. it is terrific - we have beautiful beach here at aquamarina and fundadores area - water perfect etc. i am very excited by the entire cap cana projected proposal for a new region. when it is completed (and the orig proposal was 12-15 years) i can say we are original pioneers here. Sanctuary very sad that it is AI now. but ate at Blue Marlin again last eve - it is still maybe one of the most romantic and beautiful restaurants anywhere! that being said - i think that confusion reigns with the staff. we were told that there were about 150 guests now. Property is still gorgeous. Restaurants at Aquamarina still empty most of time. We never see any fishing type activity here even though today is supposed to start some kind of registration for a tournament. maybe you know about this! I am hoping and praying for cap cana resurgence when economy surges again. this beautiful dream needs to be fulfilled. so many people became greedy and overbought here and seems they must be in default. people who bought next to me apparently also bought (as i hear) 7-10 other apartments. well this guy has never shown up and his apt empty. so he probably also has not shown up or paid for all his other apts.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Real Estate speculators are all around, yep,
they buy now during cheapy times and try to sell in a few years when the value raised significantly, without using such properties for themselves, so a neighbourhood may seemabandond for a long while, even that it's finished and beautiful.
yes, that's for the Billfish Tournament at Cap Cana.
perfect Marina Facilities, but today's only occupied/busy when a Tournament is run.
it will grow quicker at the Marina than the whole long years project as a over all.
the Marina and their top tournament services started right away with a great reputation, so every year they will have more Boats and Anglers coming in for more Tournaments.
I will have a Boat in all 2011 Tournaments at Cap Can and Punta Cana Marinas and here in cabeza de Toro, to make it a full Billfish Season.
for 2010 I finished in case of Tournaments, the Boats are for the Top Dates booked with Regulars off the Tournaments.

good luck with your ventures there,
you live at a Top Spot
and enjoy that Pool and Beach before others encounter your Secret Jewel and join in, ha ha.
cheers
Mike