best house hunting site for santo domingo?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look at Dominican Republic Rentals

Also...

Steps to Success:

1. Walk the streets in the neighborhood that you want to live in.
You will see plenty of for rent signs. Note down the building name and phone number.
This also lets you get a feel for what's what etc.

2. Get a Dominican to call and ask details, price etc. Ideally a female that is educated and actually knows how to speak on the phone. "oye, klk, como tu ta" = closed doors.
If you can get to the owner, even better. Ideally the owner is the one you want to deal with.

3. Short list the ones you like and get your Dominican friend to arrange a viewing.

4. Short list the ones after viewing you like and make low ball offers.
If they are asking US$800 offer US$550. If they are asking US$600, offer US$400, you get the idea. Be prepared to walk away, you'll be surprised who bites, even more so if you offer to pay 6
months upfront.

You're a gringo, use it to your advantage. The landlord knows you will pay and not destroy the place. Use this as leverage when negotiating. This is a renters market right now, negotiate hard!

5. Make sure you get a lease agreement and a receipt for every rental payment you make.

Note: Do not sign or do anything until you actually visit the property.
Do not believe anything the landlord or realtor tells you over the phone or via email.
Do your due dilagence.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Who has all this money, $2400 per month for a 2 bedroomed flat? Am I living on another planet here. Jeeesus. I want a simple apartment for about $300, I'm more than prepared to renovate any other properties they have needing done up to make ends meet but this city is getting more expensive by the month, who the hell spends $15000 on a flat for 6 months! I'm in the wrong business here!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Who has all this money, $2400 per month for a 2 bedroomed flat? Am I living on another planet here. Jeeesus. I want a simple apartment for about $300, I'm more than prepared to renovate any other properties they have needing done up to make ends meet but this city is getting more expensive by the month, who the hell spends $15000 on a flat for 6 months! I'm in the wrong business here!

You can find a place for US$300, but be prepared to in an "average" location.

Nobody cares about you renovating the property.
Your not in Kansas anymore, you need to play by local rules or you will get screwed, that I guarantee.

Some of us on this board know people that spend US$3,500+ monthly on rent and in some cases, pay 18 months upfront, it's all relative to your lifestyle and means.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think that Listin Diario has the best real estate listings - on line searchable if you know the names of neighborhoods... But the apartments in your price range are not so easy to find -- and they often do not make it into the papers. You will do much better over in the ZO-- by Alma Rosa behihnd MegaCentro there are some very nice new buidlings - probably in your price range. And there are parks there as well.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I recommend Zona Oriental too. Many areas there are often overlooked by foreigners because they consider it to Local. Look in Listin Diario or just drive around in the area you want to be and ask at the colmados etc.. The good thing is that in that price range you mostly avoid real estate agents. As they will not be fighting over 300 USD. Can you imagine two agents sharing that commision. One has the listing and the other has the client. And if a broker is involved to. You are better of doing the work on your own. Drive around in different areas. Look and ask. Remember that to have a listing on a website you normally have to pay. And it is not cheap. Ask Robert about prices. So if you are renting an apartment out that is 300 USD a month are you going to pay advertising ??

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I recommend Zona Oriental too. Many areas there are often overlooked by foreigners because they consider it to Local. Look in Listin Diario or just drive around in the area you want to be and ask at the colmados etc.. The good thing is that in that price range you mostly avoid real estate agents. As they will not be fighting over 300 USD. Can you imagine two agents sharing that commision. One has the listing and the other has the client. And if a broker is involved to. You are better of doing the work on your own. Drive around in different areas. Look and ask. Remember that to have a listing on a website you normally have to pay. And it is not cheap. Ask Robert about prices. So if you are renting an apartment out that is 300 USD a month are you going to pay advertising ??

just had a friend rent in Zona Orienta,up the street from La Base restaurant...nice new building,owned and built by a Italian lady who lives in the apt...very well done,front automatic gate,security cameras,need to buzz in from street,elevator....2 bed,n=he is paying a little under 400$ us,a month

unfurnished...right across street from supermercado,very quiet neighborhood...
bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
3 Bedrooms,Furnished,"Los Casicasgos"

Calle Enriquillo,1 block from Supermercado "Bravo".
An American friend of mine,(Since HighSchool,1962!) owns this cando. It is not rented right now. He gets $600 US Dollars a month.2 months security deposit."Los Casicasgos is a very nice,safe area.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Reactions: Bronxboy