Human crematorium in Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Dear posters!

I was told today that construction work at the entrance to Sosua Ocean Village has a clandestine mission of building a human crematorium there behind the new gas (propan) station and that a week ago there were a public manifestation against the crematorium there.

Do you have please any information to confirm or to disperse these lugubrious allegations?
It is very important for a good person who thinks of.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
A public manifestation AGAINST a crematorium? Please excuse my ignorance but why would anyone protest such a thing? Is cremation considered "bad" in the DR? All the people I've asked simply said that cremation isn't done in the DR, but nobody looked at me strangely for asking the question... what am I missing? I'm very curious.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dear posters!

I was told today that construction work at the entrance to Sosua Ocean Village has a clandestine mission of building a human crematorium there behind the new gas (propan) station and that a week ago there were a public manifestation against the crematorium there.

Do you have please any information to confirm or to disperse these lugubrious allegations?
It is very important for a good person who thinks of.

The protest consisted of maybe 20 people gathered at city hall, with signs saying NO to the propane gas station within the city limits and lasted about 30 mins. All was forgotten, I'm sure, a week or so later when the station was giving free propane at the grand opening. There was a linup about 1/2 mile long of people with tanks to be refilled.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A public manifestation AGAINST a crematorium? Please excuse my ignorance but why would anyone protest such a thing? Is cremation considered "bad" in the DR? All the people I've asked simply said that cremation isn't done in the DR, but nobody looked at me strangely for asking the question... what am I missing? I'm very curious.

Apparently, cremation is available in SD and Santiago.

WW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Apparently, cremation is available in SD and Santiago.

WW

Only done in SD, but arrangement can be made with Blandino in Santiago. They will pick up the body, take it to SD, handle all the paperwork, and give you the ashes. All you have to do is provide info about the deceased, including the passport, and pay the fee.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
errrrrr it was a gas station they were protesting about- they were worried it might explode near sosua ocean village

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
errrrrr it was a gas station they were protesting about- they were worried it might explode near sosua ocean village

Not like this. Public manifestation was not against cremation in general but against having a crematorium in our back yard. And original city plans were to build a crematorium. It was said on the wall of the construction site. After the public meeting the picture of Crematorium-Sosua was swiftly painted over with a picture of propane station.

I see I lost the original pics of Crematorium that my friend mailed to me. I will try to recover.

Now it looks like TWO DIFFERENT CONSTRUCTIONS are going on on the site at the same time.

A very strange decision. To build this thing in the middle of a touristic destination. Especially hoy dia with no tourists, clients, buyers, renters, etc. et all.

Willy was asked, but refused to discuss the issue.

Speculations are SOV did not oil some wheels. And is punished with propane station (and crema ?) right next to it. Won`t bring their value and prices up for sure. Even with just one propane only.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this crematorium is a good idea. there are many expats on the north coast who may appreciate this service (or maybe their families will).
as far as location: no matter where you put it people will always complain. it has to be fairly close to the city but far enough from tourist spots (the beach). and i think it is, no? and i do not think that crematorium will be in use daily...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I guess it's not over

The protest consisted of maybe 20 people gathered at city hall, with signs saying NO to the propane gas station within the city limits and lasted about 30 mins. All was forgotten, I'm sure, a week or so later when the station was giving free propane at the grand opening. There was a linup about 1/2 mile long of people with tanks to be refilled.

Puerto Plata Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.