US Passport 6 months left - DR entry/exit

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Well,

here is my question. I need to leave the DR Saturday. At the airport I know I will have to pay the overstay exit fee (over stayed just a bit). Now that I am thinking about it my passport is expiring in less than 6 months.

Now I had no questions about being able to enter the US with a passport on the brink but a few people have raised concerns over this.

I have searched here, A Briggs and gave a call to our Embassy here and waited on hold until they promptly just dropped me...

So help me DR1, you are my only hope.

Exiting the DR with a US passport expiring in less then 6 months, problem?

Entry into DR with a US passport expiring in less than 6 months, problem?

(I can only imagine it would be).

P.s. I have no residency or cedula (DR).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Absolutely no problems...Even with an expired passport...It is your proof of citizenship....and should be kept current, but it is YOU!!

Do not lose a drop of sleep over this issues...it does not exist!

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If it is anything like the UK then you can enter therewith less than 6 months, if you are Biritsh, but you will not be allowed to enter DR with less than 6 months.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Absolutely no problems...Even with an expired passport...It is your proof of citizenship....and should be kept current, but it is YOU!!

Do not lose a drop of sleep over this issues...it does not exist!

HB

Thank you both!

I know, I know... I should keep it more current to avoid this type of scare!

Lesson learned.

Incase anyone in the future has this same question, what Hillbilly has said is correct :chinese: :

According to the Westren Hemisphere Travel Initiative:

"Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed below may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their identity and citizenship." "

LINK:Powered by Google Docs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey man, it's no biggie. When you get home you can get it renewed in two weeks, I have heard...cheaper than you can here, too!

If you travel a lot, get the biggest one they offer...it is expensive to add pages..

HB

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Shouldn't be a problem entering the U.S. Check with your airline about the return. They don't want to be on the hook for returning you to the U.S. if the D.R. doesn't let you back in. Their passport requirements might be more stringent than the D.R. immigration rules.