Looking for a new home

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Its after long consideration and with pain in our hart we have made the decision that our Aussie male John Doe needs to find a new home.

John Doe is an Australian Shepherd, now 4 years old, came to live with us at the age of 8 months.

He has a history of being put in a glass box in a shop from the age of 8 weeks together with two very dominant staffordshire females until we bought him out of that place.

It took us two whole years of patience, a lot of love to bring John Doe from a very scared (kennel syndrome), half shaven and beaten young dog to a very attractive dog who has gained a lot of his convidence back in people.

However baring the history in mind and getting now very aware of himself, he constantly searches to fight with my other male dogs. In a pack as large as mine, there are alway's some frickles and little fights but the last six months when JD goes into a fight, it is alway's with great wounds upon the other dog and the latest fight he found his match in our Malinois H?rion with the result of an almost torn off ear of John Doe.

John Doe is healing well but as his strenght grows back, we already see what "damage" this last fight has done to him, it has convinced him even further that he has to and wants to fight any male dog in our pack, he is even growling towards the female dogs now.
There is a disaster just a blow whistle away from us, we know from experience, and we don't want either John Doe or any of our dogs to come to any harm.

Thats why we decided its time we find another home for John Doe. We considered neutering but we know that in this case its no guarantee it will work and if it works, it will take at least a year to kick in and thats too long.
Also is JD an aussie from good stock and he gave our other aussie Flash a very nice litter so maybe we would like him to be a stud dog in the future, maybe.

John Doe is a very attractive tri-colour aussie (black-white and tan), not too big for an aussie male. He is afraid of men but will not attack them but he adores women. Like any aussie he is a real people lover, he loves to sleep at my feet, where I go, he goes. He never learned to play in his youth so I haven't done any sports with him but he loves long walkes. He can walk off-leash if he knows you very well and then he alway's chooses the man or woman to walk close by instead of wondering of in the bushes. He walks perfectly on leash without pulling.

John Doe doesn't ask very much, he is perfectly content sleeping in a crate or at the door of your bedroom. He is perfectly house trained. John Doe is NOT a dog to put outside in a kennel for the rest of his life. He can enjoy himself in the garden but he needs people around him. He doesn't asks for attention but he surely needs it.

He cannot live with other dogs, females maybe but certainly not anymore with male dogs. He will not attack any male dog when you have a walk with him but its in his own trusted surroundings that his "problem" occurs and we know that this kind of "problem" is so embedded in his memory that it cannot ever be erased anymore.

People who know us know that we never give up on a dog and so do we not with John Doe. He deserves a good life, he had one with us for now almost 5 years but the situation is becoming to dangerous for him as for the other dogs in our pack but we want him to live on. People who know me will also know that this is a very hard and painful decision that I have to make.

So, if any body knows some body who would like to take in this lovely boy, you can alway's send me a pm and of course if there are more questions, please feel free to ask.

Afbeelding003.jpg

Afbeelding001.jpg

waterpret.jpg

klembord019_160.jpg

Acira

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can vouch for John Doe. He has always been a very affectionate animal around Alida and me. Alida really likes him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am so sorry...I have this huge Tosa that would certainly kill him if he tried to be too brave. he almost killed the little Chihuahua twice...it is just instinct...

I would love to have one like him, he is precious....but not really an option...Surely there are people up there who could give him a good home.

HB

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
So sorry you have to make this move, but understand totally.

It would be great if someone with goats or cattle could take him. Taking care of the animals might help him expend some energy.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
So sorry you have to make this move, but understand totally.

It would be great if someone with goats or cattle could take him. Taking care of the animals might help him expend some energy.

Not if he is aggressive towards other animals. Believe it or not a dog can kill/maim a cow/horse. And also the other way around.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
he is not aggressive towards other animals, he just desperately wants to be leader of the pack...

cows, horses, etc... are perfectly safe with him...

even other dogs, not belonging to the group, are perfectly safe and ignored by him...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
To set things straight, John Doe does not tolerate male dogs and cats on his own terrain, he ignores any animal outside his terrain even male dogs for that matter.
Its like Peter say's, he wants to be alfa male of our pack since Kazan, our labrador has passed away, and goes extremely far in trying to become that.

So my only way to save him is to ask if somebody with no male dogs and no cats in the house wants to take him in.

John Doe gives a lot of affection if treated gently. He loves being stroked for hours and hours.

Although its an aussie, due to JD's history he is not your average aussie with tons of energy as our Flash is. John Doe has learned in a very hard way in his first 8 months of his life to sit still and to be quite on command. He never had to do that with us but its already baked into his brain from little pup on so if we do not go for a walk with him, he would just "settle" into that situation and sleep all day long or stroll around somewhat in the garden.

That "discipline" if you can call it that way makes him a perfect dog to have in house or an appartment even. Wouldn't recommend it with any other aussie but John Doe would not give the slightest problem with such environments.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'd love to take him in but with a male Terrier mix and a male Chihuahua in an apartment it would be a prescription for disaster. ;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Rehoming of John Doe

Know what a terrible and hard decision this is for you and belgiank to make, Acira... would help if we could but just not possible as you know.

Will definitely keep our ears and eyes open so that we can ascertain anyone who may be in a good situation to take on this beautiful dog of yours to which you have given so much love and attention.

Loving our animals gives us sad moments too unfortunately.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Today is a sad day for me but also in a way a happy day.

Today a couple came to meet us and John Doe. We talked with this couple whilst John Doe walked around in the yard with us.

After a few turns around my leg looking at those strangers, the lady just put out here hand and he went straight to here to get a stroke.

5 minutes later the husband put down his hand...and very carefully but with a lot of confidence John Doe went to him and gently the man gave him a few strokes.

They took their time and so did we and so did John Doe until it was time for me to "disappear" for a while out of sight and John Doe did look where I was going but went almost immediately back to those - not so strange people anymore - and started to roll in the grass like he loves to do when he is at ease.

This was obviously a huge success so after talking some more, we all decided that John Doe would go with the couple to their home and just see how he would do for the couple of next day's.

I have a good feeling about this...lets see what the next day's will give...

I have put a great amount of time and love in John Doe to raise him from a 8 months old beaten scruffy pup, terrified of men into this lovely and proud dog he is today. It took me almost two years of daily work to get the Kennel syndrome out of his system and mind.

I feel very proud of my John Doe who did it actually for 90 % himself because he just adores treats and with a bit of extra help of me, he turned into a fantastic beautiful dog who gained his trust back in humans.

I have gotten a lot of love back from John Doe in return and one cannot ask anymore of a dog with that kind of history.

So sad but happy at the same time...

Acira