Inverter Expert???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
So I bought 12 new Trojan batteries today, no small investment. My electrician came to install them. It was then he told me that he was a bit nervous about connecting them and programming my inverter. I have a top model Trace Inverter. It may be good, but everyone locally seems to be afraid of it.

I told the electrician to simply connect the batteries and start the inverter, as it would work on it's factory settings. However, upon reviewing the operator's manual, which was written for an electrical engineer and although I am educated, I am at a loss what it is all about.

Seems like there is some programming to be done relative to the specific batteries you are using and the charge rate. Seems like there is some other situation specific programming to be done.

Someone told me about a guy in Cabarete named Harry who might be of help. But they had no phone number.

Soooooo- any electrical engineers out there? Or anyone know of someone who is competent working with Trace Inverters on the North Coast?

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Lindsey

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi Lindsey,

Good that your guy did not hook up not being sure.

I know that reading the manuals can be confussing. Even though I'm from the U.S. and the manuals are in english, some directions can run you in circles. I've had a DR series and now a SW series. Takes a lot of time to figure out for your own needs. (I have lent a friend my manual with my notes to try to figure his out; it's been two weeks and he has not fugured his system out yet.)

What model do you have? I'm sure someone here can help you but it sounds like SOMEONE that knows your inverter come out and inspect it BEFORE it goes on line.

OR? Call Freddy at Freddy Multiservice in Sosua. He knows most models and does very good work. He also speaks great English. Cell: 809-281-6192 Freddy Multiservice - Bienvenidos a Freddy Multiservice

When we have a problem that I can not figure out, he does.

Good luck

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Inverter trouble the right way or Dominican way

Well first you do not say what model Trace it is?

But if it is programmable than I would guess it is an SW newer models are designated XW, if you bought it here it could be either.

So to connect the batteries we need to know which model it is, 12 batteries are good for the 24 VDC but you need 16 for a 48 VDC.

You do not mention the battery types, but I assume Lead Acid like the Trojan 205's or similar, if this is so factory setting will get you started no problem.

Now be forewarned, all Dominicano Electrician I have ever known and any inverter installation I have ever seen not done by me use undersized cables.

For the cable size USE no less than 2/0 (4/0 recommended) for the 48 VDC model, no less than 4/0 for the 24 VDC and the distance from the inverter to the batteries, for the 24 VDC model, max 5 feet and 10 feet for the 48 VDC. All cables including the battery series jumpers! Oh yes and tape or zip tie the two main cables together every 6 - 8 inches going from the batteries going to the inverter, this will substantially reduce inductance created by the DC current, giving longer life to the electronics in your expensive inverter.

Anybody that tells you you do not need to do any of this, well they are right you do not, BUT this is the correct outline of a proper installation.

Sorry I am here in SD, but will help if I can.

If you want to go one step further to create a top of the line installation you can cross tie your battery bank, which will create more harmonic charging and reduce system drain in the case of a bad cell or bad battery, but cross tying is a little more complicate for a verbal description and needs a simple schematic to be explained and visualized easier.

g'luck

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Hi Lindsey,

Good that your guy did not hook up not being sure.

I know that reading the manuals can be confussing. Even though I'm from the U.S. and the manuals are in english, some directions can run you in circles. I've had a DR series and now a SW series. Takes a lot of time to figure out for your own needs. (I have lent a friend my manual with my notes to try to figure his out; it's been two weeks and he has not fugured his system out yet.)

What model do you have? I'm sure someone here can help you but it sounds like SOMEONE that knows your inverter come out and inspect it BEFORE it goes on line.

OR? Call Freddy at Freddy Multiservice in Sosua. He knows most models and does very good work. He also speaks great English. Cell: 809-281-6192 Freddy Multiservice - Bienvenidos a Freddy Multiservice

When we have a problem that I can not figure out, he does.

Good luck

Can not say for a fact, but Freddy does have a decent reputation and only speaking from 10 years experiance here, and I have never seen Freddies installations, but I would still bet it is Dominicanized and Economized.

If I am wrong, I apoligize to Freddy.

Aug 21, 2007
1. Trace Inverter SW series
2. Trojan 205's (12)
3. Where do I find if I have a 24 or 48 VCD model?
4. If I send you an email address DonLuis, can you email me and attach a schematic for me? (BIG thanks in advance!)
5. The inverter came with the house. I didn't buy it. I believe the plate with all the technical information, including voltage operating range, AC input/output, phase, waveform, frequency and voltage, serial number, etc. is located on the back, which is bolted to the wall. The manual is a general manual for several models. Thus it is no help.

Thanks to all of you for your help and information. Now....it would be great to have someone here on the North Coast- perhaps someone with a similar inverter- who can help now and in the future.

Lindsey

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
2. Trojan 205's (12)
4. If I send you an email address DonLuis, can you email me and attach a schematic for me? (BIG thanks in advance!)
5. The inverter came with the house. I didn't buy it. I believe the plate with all the technical information, including voltage operating range, AC input/output, phase, waveform, frequency and voltage, serial number, etc. is located on the back, which is bolted to the wall. The manual is a general manual for several models. Thus it is no help.

Thanks to all of you for your help and information. Now....it would be great to have someone here on the North Coast- perhaps someone with a similar inverter- who can help now and in the future.

Lindsey

If it is an SW, it is most likely one of these three:

SW4024 which is a 24 VDC system

The SW4548 or a SW 5548 which then is a 48 VDC, there are some other models made for international markets which may vary their voltages, input as well as output, so verifing the model number is important, although most likly it is one of the above, if different, let me know and will look up what I do not know.

The equipment tag is on the end where the street power enters and exits to your electrical system, opposite side that the battery terminals are.

As previously recomended, Freddy does have a decent reputation and may be the best you can get up there and if you tell him you want it by the book, if that is what you want, have him quote it that way, the cables really are the only thing that should cost more, labor should be the same.

One big question, if the inverter came with the house, how do you know it is anyu good, if it works at all, I mean, jeez, an unused inverter, HERE, if they are just sitting around somebody will beg it or steel it.....

If you are going to be there awhile and before you spend more $$, do the Dominican Trace people have a sucrusal up there?

If so, I would send it to them for a check out, they will do it for RD$1,000.00 if you send it to them and will test it and clean it for you, if they need to fix anything, they, at least here in SD they are decent.

g'luck

feel free to PM me

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
if you have the original manual you have the schematic for cross tying, it is only recommended for the top of the line installation. Depend what you want.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My SW has all the information on the top of the unit. You can also go into the inverter information menu by pressing, as I remember, the green button marked "Inv" or such for inverter and find the information menu that will tell you about the unit. OK, not easy. My brief backup manual is 142 pages.

I'll be available in the AM around 11 being in the El Choco area. As I remember, you are not far. Let me know and we can meet at Judys at around 11.

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks, Ringo.

Trouble is, I am booked for the next week and a half. Working a dental clinic in Imbert.

Right now, there is no street power. Thus, as long as the batteries are providing for the few lightbulbs and internet, I am good.

Will keep everyone posted. This is one drawback of having something somewhat sophisticated somewhere that the experts are few and far between.

Lindsey

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
2. Trojan 205's (12)

Lindsey

As donluis99 has mentioned, if they're 6 V baterries you won't be able to use all 12 in a 48 V system. 48/6=8 so you have to have eight baterries in each column of your array. So hopefully it is a 24V inverter. Then you can have a 3x4 array of baterries. If it is a 48V inverter you should get four more bateries. I've read that for a new installation it's a good idea to heat up the connectors on your cables and dip them in petroleum jelly to inhibit the buildup of that yellowish-green powder on the terminals.

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for all the good information. It is a 24V inverter, so I think my battery array is okay. I have someone coming by to look at the system and do what is necessary, as it definitely isn't functioning properly. The street power was off all day yesterday. When it cam back on in the middle of the night, the inverter attempted to go through its cycles, but every two minutes or so it would switch off, as if there were no street power when there really was, then switch on again

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks, Ringo.

Trouble is, I am booked for the next week and a half. Working a dental clinic in Imbert.

Right now, there is no street power. Thus, as long as the batteries are providing for the few lightbulbs and internet, I am good.

Will keep everyone posted. This is one drawback of having something somewhat sophisticated somewhere that the experts are few and far between.

Lindsey

When I had my xantrex prosine installed, none of the "installers" had ever seen such a unit or an owners manual. You need to read all the forums and study your unit. You must put the recommended fuse on the positive cable to protect it. Try to use the recommended gauge cables, sometimes they are hard to find.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for all the good information. It is a 24V inverter, so I think my battery array is okay. I have someone coming by to look at the system and do what is necessary, as it definitely isn't functioning properly. The street power was off all day yesterday. When it cam back on in the middle of the night, the inverter attempted to go through its cycles, but every two minutes or so it would switch off, as if there were no street power when there really was, then switch on again
Sounds like voltage variations.

If possible, adjust the sensitivity of the unit to a lower voltage for the inverter to switch on.

If the unit is set to activate at, say, 95v and the street power in 92 (low voltage) and bounces to 97 (common) the inverter will go on and off all the time.

I know from experience.

Folks here don't realize that besides the power going off and on necessitating an inverter for normal living, the voltage variance can be huge. During one period I had my voltmeter in an outlet and the voltage would bounce between 125 and 75 volts, sometimes several times a minute.

The 100% BEST way to have consistent power in your home is to have both an inverter and a voltage regulator feeding the inverter.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I concur the above, since I got the regulator fitted, I have had no problems with the inversor unit at all. I need to check next time I am back, I think the regulator is wired for the inversor only, therefore not being used when the street power is on, and I am worried therefore on the long term outlook for the TV and computer etc ?. Can these be wired to serve both ( in other words, regulate the incoming 2 wire supply 100%) feeding the circuits and inversor a the same time.) I know the cost for the regulator was 14k supplied and installed, and as I said above does it's job perfectly.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I concur the above, since I got the regulator fitted, I have had no problems with the inversor unit at all. I need to check next time I am back, I think the regulator is wired for the inversor only, therefore not being used when the street power is on, and I am worried therefore on the long term outlook for the TV and computer etc ?. Can these be wired to serve both ( in other words, regulate the incoming 2 wire supply 100%) feeding the circuits and inversor a the same time.) I know the cost for the regulator was 14k supplied and installed, and as I said above does it's job perfectly.
The inverter supplies consistent power when on. The voltage regulator needs to be between the street power and the inverter, the rest of the house past the inverter.

It sounds like your set-up is correct which is why you don't notice irregular voltage problems.

Example: when the street power is off, my miocrowave works like a champ. When the street power is on, sometimes it heats things quickly, sometimes not.

Aug 21, 2007
So, I am still having problems. And, as the above posts indicate, it is a voltage problem. We adjusted the voltage but see huge variations. I assume it is either a problem with my voltage regulator or a short in the line from the street.

Can't believe I am a woman talking about these things. Not at all my cup of tea.....but I do want and need functioning electricity.

I have a really good electrician coming by tomorrow to try to sort it all out. Will report back if we find significant information.

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.