Dengue prevention???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been reading about all the dengue outbreaks in DR, and my in-laws have been talking about it a lot in Santo Domingo.

What I can't seem to find out is if there is any kind of vaccine or pill one can take to prevent it. Does this exist? If not, what can you do besides burn citronella and spray yourself with chemicals?

Someone told my husband it's the day time mosquitoes who carry it, not the ones at night. Sounds kind of odd to me, is there any truth to that, or should I just file it in the same place as the "Vicks Vaporub cures cancer too" info? [Not literally, but my suegra uses it for absolutely everything]

AE

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I've been reading about all the dengue outbreaks in DR, and my in-laws have been talking about it a lot in Santo Domingo.

What I can't seem to find out is if there is any kind of vaccine or pill one can take to prevent it. Does this exist? If not, what can you do besides burn citronella and spray yourself with chemicals?

Someone told my husband it's the day time mosquitoes who carry it, not the ones at night. Sounds kind of odd to me, is there any truth to that, or should I just file it in the same place as the "Vicks Vaporub cures cancer too" info? [Not literally, but my suegra uses it for absolutely everything]

AE

Unfortunatelly the worst is yet to come!!!

We need to try to do something!

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2010/7/21/36385/Worst-of-dengue-isnt-over-Public-Health-warns

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Has anyone ever heard of a pet dog or house cat getting Dengue and if so is it fatal to them?

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008

AE

Prevention is the best cure...

Cut your grass, no still water, put a measured amount of cloro in water that has to be still, mosquito repellent, long sleeves in places where you know there are many mosquitoes, fumigating ,yadda yadda.

Yes, the mosquitoes that are attracted to light are the ones who carry dengue. You can tell them apart by coloring on the back 'legs' they have white 'spots'.

Interesting note, they are also active when there is bright light (such as a television).

Unfortunately, no there is no vaccine or cure. Just prevention and treatment (fluids).

Use other fever medications, especially for children. Acetaminophen has been blamed for a large number of failed liver emergency room trips. Can cause death.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol brand name) has a fairly low toxicity level. Yes, it can destroy your liver but you have to take large, large amounts. Children should take their own level of acetaminophen not adult doses. You should not drink or do anything that stresses your liver while taking acetaminophen. It's been used for a long, long time safely worldwide.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I had an experience with Dengue last year. I had flu like symptoms that would not go away. Ive never felt as weak before in my life, and had fevers like it. I put it down to flu, until I came out in a rash from head to toe. So, went to the clinic who did blood tests. The doc told me that he was pretty convinced I had Dengue, but the Dengue test they did was negative. They said I would have to go back the next day to do the test again as sometimes you can get a false negative. Anyway, they panicked the hell out of me then saying they had to admit me asap and put me on a drip saying how I could bleed to death.

After speaking to another doctor, he told me not to stay in the clinic as there is no treatment for it apart from drinking lots of liquids. The doctors want to keep you there for more money usually. So I went home and drank lots and took paracetamol for the fever. I got better and I never did go back for the second Dengue test so theres a chance it might not of actually been Dengue.

One thing I did learn from this experience is NOT to take aspirin if you have Dengue as it can lead to internal bleeding in some cases. A friend told me that I SHOULD take aspirin. Suppose this a case of passing on incorrect info, so I stress again, DO NOT take aspirin.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Acetaminophen (Tylenol brand name) It's been used for a long, long time safely worldwide.

Warnings are recent. Toxic to liver at lower levels than previously recognized. Try ibuprufen, since aspirin seems problematic.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have had dengue although not here - but in singapore. The mosquitos that carry it are called pata blanca. They are bigger and have white paws. Easy to spot. Dengue to be honest is usually not a big deal. Like a bad flu. Take lots of liquids and paracetomal to lower fever. Those who die are usually dominicans or haitians who do not understand the problems of hydration. In my opinion not worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

Matilda

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Warnings are recent. Toxic to liver at lower levels than previously recognized. Try ibuprofen, since aspirin seems problematic.

The recent media concerning acetaminophen is about faulty manufacturing process (contamination). Not about toxicity. Anything in too high levels is toxic, dihydrogen oxide included (H20).

The only reference I could find to toxicity levels was from a website selling 'natural' cures. Natural being safer, naturally... :cheeky:

It is still agreed that the max dosage should be 150mg per kilo. Meaning that one person who weighs 100lbs can take 14 EXTRA strength pills (500 mg, 14 pills) or someone who weighs 200lbs can take 28! That's 7g and 14 g of acetaminophen, A LOT.

Most of the overdoses and problems occur because of suicide attempts or people not realizing that many different products all contain acetaminophen.

Important:
One of the dangers of dengue is hemorrhaging (it attacks your WBC). You should NOT take aspirin or IB, they can increase the risk of bleeding out and dying. Gotta be careful what you recommend to people...

Take your Tylenol to reduce fever, just don't take the whole bottle... Always read the labels too.

In case you don't want to take my word for it:
Dengue fever - Wikitravel
WHO | Dengue

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no vaccine and no real cure except for fluids and mild meds to lower down fever and help with the pain. many drugs can cause problems in dengue patients and that includes aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen and ketoprofen. acetaminophen (paracetamol) seems to be safer choice but even that should be administered under doctors supervision.
juices are better than water and special hydration fluids are the best: pedialyte, electrolite, naturalyte or even gatorade.
in severe cases the fluids may have to be administered intravenously, some patients may need blood transfusion (for the loss of plasma).
in the majority of people dengue presents no more problems than a bad flu and mat is right saying there is no need to panic.
as a preventative measure use mosquito repellent and mosquito net over your sleeping area. and do not worry :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
DO NOT administer gatorade intravenously!!!

just joking...

all products containing aspirin, are to be considered dangerous to the liver. Medical history evolves, like anything else, and it has now been concluded that pure products like paracetamol are a lot safer...

only the future will be able to tell if this is so...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You'd have to have more money than brains to buy one of those things...
I like the idea of the Taiwanese school kids...

Might make one this week.

Actually, it is better to patrol the yard and check on water catchers, leaves, old dog food dishes, ANYthing that can hold water!!! And either put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil or dump it out.

HB

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Has anyone tried planting mosquito-repelling plants? Any luck?

Granted, getting rid of standing water is the best way, but I can only encourage my neighbors to do the same.

And screens on the windows help. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

And, I hate to add this, but... if, for because of vomiting or extreme sore throat, one cannot drink gatorade, it can be administered via an enema.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
does your local gas-station or comado provide the necessary???

I never checked, I was happy with the servietta.... lol

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
gatorade tastes so nasty it is better to put it up your a** anyways :)

I recently read about a Gatorade enema, do you add a little soda water for some fizz on the way out Dorota?:bunny:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Has anyone tried planting mosquito-repelling plants? Any luck?

We rented a house in SD for a month this past January, the owner told us he planted mosquito repelling plants all around it.

We couldn't sit in the living room without being eaten alive. My suegra sat with us on the sofa one day, between us, and we were both bit repeatedly and they didn't bother her. She said why would they eat hamburger when they had filete? :ermm:

I don't know what he planted, but I do know they didn't work!!

AE

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We rented a house in SD for a month this past January, the owner told us he planted mosquito repelling plants all around it.

We couldn't sit in the living room without being eaten alive. My suegra sat with us on the sofa one day, between us, and we were both bit repeatedly and they didn't bother her. She said why would they eat hamburger when they had filete? :ermm:

I don't know what he planted, but I do know they didn't work!!

AE

It is (oddly) true that the local mosquitos seem to prefer the foreigners.. And that afer living here I no longer have the itching and swelling that I had when I first got here.

My guests are their filet mignon!

A pedestal fan seems to hinder the path of mosquitos- not so the ceiling fans.

And screens should help although very few places in the Capital have them in place - few windows are designed for them.

The Dengue vector is like malaria in that the mosquito transmits the infection from one infected person to another -- so the outbreak is going to be in neighborhoods.

But it does seem that this particular mosquito has great adaptablitiy

http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/entomologyEcology/index.html