Accident with a responsible Dominican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have to post this as I was in utter shock yesterday. While loading my car in the lot at la Sirena (actually a friend was loading as I am still not very mobile) a young Dominican came along in his very beat up truck and struck the rear hatch of my RAV4 along with hitting my friend's arm. He stopped and came up to see what had happened. The door showed no physical damage but was knocked out of line and could no longer be cloesd. He did in true Dominican fashion and tried to blame my fieinds arm for the damage. But he hung around to fill out a report with the security at la Serina. Of course he had no current lic or insurance but hey this is the DR. He then told us that he was a ''Christian" and he would take care of everything. He asked us to follow him to a repair place. The first one (Torfilco) was closed for lunch so we went to a place on the main highway that only repaired car doors and windows. Thirty minutes later we were out of there with a perfectly working door and the young man paid for the repairs and asked for our forgiveness and that he was sorry.
He is also a wood worker and we now going to use him for some door repairs around the house.
I was amazed and walked away from this accident with a smile and a new "worker".
I thought with all the negative stuff that one ususally finds here it was a pleasant suprise to experience this.

Bob K

Reactions: M.A.R. and Keith R

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Great story - thanks for posting -

I had a sort of similar story in LT when I first got here - also with a Christian. He was a street vendor, came around to the tables in the cafe , and I bought something from him and handed him a 500 pesos note, mistaking it for a 100 peso one. He just stood by the table and would not leave - since my Spanish (Dominican) was not very good at the time, I had trouble understandiing him - but finally realized that he did not have change. He waited for me to get it from the restaurant. Gave me a really great feeling.

I have to post this as I was in utter shock yesterday. While loading my car in the lot at la Sirena (actually a friend was loading as I am still not very mobile) a young Dominican came along in his very beat up truck and struck the rear hatch of my RAV4 along with hitting my friend's arm. He stopped and came up to see what had happened. The door showed no physical damage but was knocked out of line and could no longer be cloesd. He did in true Dominican fashion and tried to blame my fieinds arm for the damage. But he hung around to fill out a report with the security at la Serina. Of course he had no current lic or insurance but hey this is the DR. He then told us that he was a ''Christian" and he would take care of everything. He asked us to follow him to a repair place. The first one (Torfilco) was closed for lunch so we went to a place on the main highway that only repaired car doors and windows. Thirty minutes later we were out of there with a perfectly working door and the young man paid for the repairs and asked for our forgiveness and that he was sorry.
He is also a wood worker and we now going to use him for some door repairs around the house.
I was amazed and walked away from this accident with a smile and a new "worker".
I thought with all the negative stuff that one ususally finds here it was a pleasant suprise to experience this.

Bob K

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow he truly has God/Jesus in his heart.

If only everyone would act like this, just imagine how our world would be,........................ ok ok i can dream :cheeky:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am certain that there are lots of 'good news' stories but, most times, people don't bother to tell them as they are just not newsworthy!! IMHO this applies worldwide, not just in the DR.

Reactions: rice&beans

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You are right, lots of good news stories but we rarely take the time to write about them

And please don't link it or think it is because they are "cristian". I can tell you some HORROR stories perpetrated by so called "cristians."

Reality is these stories illustrate plain old GOOD PEOPLE......

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You are right, lots of good news stories but we rarely take the time to write about them

And please don't link it or think it is because they are "cristian". I can tell you some HORROR stories perpetrated by so called "cristians."

Yes, the wonderful folks who brought you the Inquisition.

I only mentioned it because the man himself mentioned it - as to why he did not simply make off with the money but waited for the correct change.

I also had a security guard from a shopping center in LT chase me down two blocks to return the ATM card which I had left in the machine there. He did not mention his religion.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

Yes they are plain good people who do good because they simply are good people, no need for religion but the OP did mention that the good man said it himself..........geeez relax man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.