Question about form 5481-Sponsorship Evaluation..re Immigration Canada

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
Hello,,

I have a question for you all...

I was reading in the form 5481 and it ask if the person is employed or not,

What if the person wasnt employed for the past 3 years but now have a job?

So the person cant report income for the last 12 months but can provide a letter for the current employement

Your advises will be very welcome

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I don't have the form in front of me but.....

If you are asking about the applicant, it doesn't matter what their employment history is...you just have to make sure you have covered everything.

If they were unemployed for 3 years, you have to document that. There can not be any gaps of time unaccounted for.

If you are talking about you being a sponsor, you need to submit the option c printout from your most recent tax return even if you had $0 earnings. You need to include a letter of employment verification from your current employer.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Follow Sangria's advice plus if this question is for sponsor living in Quebec here is more info

Quebec Income Scale, 2010

Effective from January 1 to December 31, 2010
Sponsors (guarantors) are presumed to be able to satisfy their undertaking if in the last 12 months they have had gross income from Canadian sources equal to the SUM of the amount shown in Table 1 and the amount in Table 2 below.

These amounts are indexed each year.
Table 1 - Basic Income Required by Sponsor to Meet Basic Needs of Own Family
<TABLE class=table-generic-1><TBODY><TR><TH scope=col>Total Number of Family Members</TH><TH scope=col>Basic Annual Income Required</TH></TR><TR><TD class=alignCenter>1</TD><TD class=alignCenter>C$20,584</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Taken from Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
5481 not required in QC

From guide IMM 3900E:
If you live in Quebec or are living exclusively outside Canada and intend to live in Quebec upon your return, you need only complete:
• the Application to Sponsor and Undertaking (IMM 1344A);
• the Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM 5540), if you are sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner);
• the Receipt (IMM 5401 – see section on Fees);
• the Document Checklist (IMM 5491); and
• the Use of a Representative form (IMM 5476), if you choose to have a representative.

IMM 5481 is not required if you live in QC. I mailed in my application earlier this year stating I was unemployed at the time of mailing the application but that I was waiting on a job offer. Also, before that my last job was a year and a half before because I was living with my man in the DR during that time. I was accepted as a sponsor end of april.

Reactions: AnnaC

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
Thanx for the answers......its not for QC, thats why i was asking about the form specifically, i didnt know what should be done about the income.

Thnx again :)

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
5481 is required if its not for applying to live in Quebec

Santiago, just to be clear you do need to complete 5481 if you do not plan to reside in Quebec.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
they don't check on this, my husband was self-employed. I asked him roughly what he made a month x by 12 and entered it.
I would put his actual money received, if its 3 months or work, make a note to that. I added an extra paper on the back with extra notes or longer answers, just quote the question number in bold - state note: and then put the date the employment began.