Tricom Service Disconnect fee

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Having to be stuck with this as an only choice for phone and internet service has been a real nightmare. We live in a very poor barrio in Villa Mella; La Javilla. I'm not there very much and the calling is driving me crazy. For several yrs. they kept stealing the phone cable to sell the metal.-- now that that problem has gotten mostly better; the continued problem of not connecting when it rains much continues. A new wrinkle has been going on. No contact for 2 weeks plus. Just keeps saying invalid number. My wife went to the Tricom office to complain (I insisted). Maybe a year ago. We got their better internet (talk on the phone while on a faster internet, and changed to the cell phone service for a bundle price. Connecting to the cell is the worst ever. She has had Claro and Orange before. Her mother has Viva and I can always connect with her. Anyway-- my wife went to Tricom's office told them the problems. Apparently, to cancel all services its RD 2400. If you don't pay it they continue to hit you with a big interest fee. Can anyone elaborate?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Having to be stuck with this as an only choice for phone and internet service has been a real nightmare. We live in a very poor barrio in Villa Mella; La Javilla. I'm not there very much and the calling is driving me crazy. For several yrs. they kept stealing the phone cable to sell the metal.-- now that that problem has gotten mostly better; the continued problem of not connecting when it rains much continues. A new wrinkle has been going on. No contact for 2 weeks plus. Just keeps saying invalid number. My wife went to the Tricom office to complain (I insisted). Maybe a year ago. We got their better internet (talk on the phone while on a faster internet, and changed to the cell phone service for a bundle price. Connecting to the cell is the worst ever. She has had Claro and Orange before. Her mother has Viva and I can always connect with her. Anyway-- my wife went to Tricom's office told them the problems. Apparently, to cancel all services its RD 2400. If you don't pay it they continue to hit you with a big interest fee. Can anyone elaborate?

Take your documentation and other stuff and report the problem to INDOTEL.

-. Indotel .- Instituto Dominicano de las Telecomunicaciones - Portada

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
A shame, I'm really pulling for Tricom to represent a strong competition to Codetel, but it looks like their cash flow problems are continuing...

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
A shame, I'm really pulling for Tricom to represent a strong competition to Codetel, but it looks like their cash flow problems are continuing...

You are joking right. They were never a competitor to CODETEL. Clear back to when they started in 1989. The only thing they ever had a lead in was cable TV and that is now being whittled away out by Claro TV. Their market share for telecommunications has never been large. They have always had cash flow problems this is just the latest occurrence.

The only reason that they have TeleCable is CODETEL backed out of a deal to buy it, in the mid 90's

CODETEL will never have a land line or Internet competitor unless they want one. They own all the infrastructure for hard wire connections.

Tricom trails both CODETEL and Orange in wireless.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You are joking right. They were never a competitor to CODETEL. Clear back to when they started in 1989. The only thing they ever had a lead in was cable TV and that is now being whittled away out by Claro TV. Their market share for telecommunications has never been large. They have always had cash flow problems this is just the latest occurrence.

The only reason that they have TeleCable is CODETEL backed out of a deal to buy it, in the mid 90's

CODETEL will never have a land line or Internet competitor unless they want one. They own all the infrastructure for hard wire connections.

Tricom trails both CODETEL and Orange in wireless.

I worked in the business and know the Ins and Out of what happened. Tricom was plagued by a lack of cash, lots of Investor pulling their money in the worst of times degrading the service and leaving 0 for network expansion and growth. That's why it has never gotten near Codetel in anything.

But if it wasn't for Tricom, Codetel's rate would be higher than what already is. Tricom was the pioneer of free national long distance landlines calls. In the wireless business they also gave Codetel a run for their money in the beginning. Latest I heard was they invested US$40MM to enhance their wireless network.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I worked in the business and know the Ins and Out of what happened. Tricom was plagued by a lack of cash, lots of Investor pulling their money in the worst of times degrading the service and leaving 0 for network expansion and growth. That's why it has never gotten near Codetel in anything.

But if it wasn't for Tricom, Codetel's rate would be higher than what already is. Tricom was the pioneer of free national long distance landlines calls. In the wireless business they also gave Codetel a run for their money in the beginning. Latest I heard was they invested US$40MM to enhance their wireless network.

Yea well your not the only one!. how long were you there and what years? We can trade names on your supervisors. A large part of the IT folks came from CODETEL. I myself go back to 1992, Applications support. As far as the run for their money their market share was never anything to brag about. Even as they were begging at Motorola's door.

If CODETEL had done what they were advised by GTE in 1990 TRICOM would have never existed. At that time it was 16rd a min for calls to the US/Canada, they were advised to drop the rate to 10rd. with the amount of red ink Tricom was bleeding due to construction costs they would have never seen the light of day. But CODETEL would not let go of the cash cow.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

After a month without service and repeated requests to have it corrected my wife cancelled the service, paid the rd2400 and went to Indotel to complain. Indotel basically told her they would need to coorespond back and forth with Tricom. After always having problems connecting with her Tricom cell and much of the time not being able to hear her clearly she went to cancel cellular service. She called today from their office to say that the Tricom office was full of people complaining. She said Tricon told her that if she cancelled her cell service she also had to end her internet service and pay another rd2400 termination fee. I told her to get the receipts and end any business with Tricom; return to Indotel telling them what happened and tell the other people to complain to Indotel also. Hopefully someone decent will take over. I wonder if someone is lining their pockets with termination fees and getting ready to hit the road.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Ever thought about getting out of Villa Mella?

Ever thought of winning the lottery? Ever thought of being President of the United States? I don't recall the OP asking about where he should live. Useless reply.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
We built a house there. Only because most of the family are in the homes next to ours. Very strong umbilical cord!!