Dual Dominican Citizenship/Nationality?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Anyone undergone this process before? I am American of Dominican parents and would like a Dominican Cedula and Passport. No one in my family has done this before and diff lawyers told me diff things.

If you know anything about it or have any experience with this please feel free to share...

I dont know what to expect. I'd like to get the process started soon, though.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
my friend started the process here... she had to pay about 140 dollars if I remember correctly. The only thing is that she moved to DR and had to start all over again there. I'm not sure if you can do the whole thing from here.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you have the time, do it yourself. Make a visit to the Ministry of Interior and Police to get the most recent requirements and take it step by step. You could write about the process as you go through it. Do a search of this forum and you will find the process done by others in the past.

MANNY/IN-NYC

Jul 25, 2010
You don't specify where you live, but if there is a Dominican Consulate where you live, there you can take care of the Cedula and the Dominican Passport. Give them a call before you go and they will tell you what documents to bring.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you have one Dominican parent then I don't think it will take that much to sort out. As long as you have all three birth certificates, mother, father and yours and are willing to sit for hours until you are called in to prove these are your parents of different nationality then the usual week of waiting to get the original papers back, then off up town to have them legalised. Didn't need a lawyer as if you speak Spanish it isn't any more difficult than changing ownership of a car.

That sounds very easy, and it was, but we were dealing with my daughter, who is not an adult for many many years yet.
But the process was very very simple and hassle free once you have convinved them you have no alteria motives for wanting dual Nationality.

From start to completion it took us less than 2 weeks.

Like I said it could be a little more iffy for an adult.

Good luck anyway.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anyone undergone this process before? I am American of Dominican parents and would like a Dominican Cedula and Passport. No one in my family has done this before and diff lawyers told me diff things.

If you know anything about it or have any experience with this please feel free to share...

I dont know what to expect. I'd like to get the process started soon, though.

Here is a quote from Mr Fabio J. Guzman;

If you are the son of a Dominican father or mother, you have the right to acquire to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1. Petition to the Minister of Interior.

2. Affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

3. Birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator.

4. Birth certificate of the applicant’s Dominican parent.

5. 4 pictures, 2 x 2 inches.

6. Application and newspaper fees.

The applicant will have to make two trips to the Dominican Republic: the first to file the application (the affidavit before the Notary Public has to be sworn in person) and the second when the process is finalized.

If you don't have the patience and time to deal with the Dominican bureaucracy, I would recommend using an attorney with experience in immigration matters.

Miacol

Apr 22, 2010
If you are a USA citizen, you need to go to the Department of Birth Certificate with the stamp to allow dual citizenship. Then go to the consulate and apply.