What are we going to do (fuel prices)

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
So as most of us here in dr have heard in the news gas prices are going up way up, our good ol government has done it once again , so how are we here at dr1 the ones that live here going to deal with it , suggestions please from what i hear all over the place we are looking at $200 peso a gallon and above, also do you guys think the public transportaion people are going
to take advantage of this and raise fares even though 99% of conchos run on propane.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
One of my vehicle is powered with a V8 4.6, i'm thinking about switching to natural gas (not GLP).

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
Well my car runs on propane so i guess i'm good (until they decide to raise that too), I only spend around 500 pesos a week. Many people say propane is dangerous but I've never had any problem with it and its only like 75 pesos a gallon. Wow, i sound like Hank Hill talking about propane.... (sorry if no one got that king of the hill reference :D)

Reactions: Tamborista

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The bad:

The cost of installation :angry:
-The availability of CNG fuel

-Having a 2000-3500psi fuel bomb in your vehicle

-By volume, propane has 85% of the thermal potential (heat making potential, what makes a piston engine work) of gasoline (less power) and CNG has less than half the TP of propane. Your 220ft.lb V-6 SUV engine will make about 180 on propane and maybe 90 on CNG. Think about that.

I installed a CNG stove on my old sailboat because CNG is lighter than air; propane is heavier and the thought of a propane leak settling volatile inflammable gasses in the bilge was scary. But that CNG stove had a hard time even boiling water...

CNG may be less than half the cost per unit as propane, but you will use more than twice as much to accomplish the same mission with your vehicle.

Reactions: waytogo

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It's a necessity, so we will just pay it. It can be $500 pesos/gallon and we would still buy it. Supply and demand worldwide....just like any other commodity.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Of course this will become the excuse for raising rates! And it will cause increases in all kinds of other products and services!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We are paying $1.02 per litre

Same as Canada, except the RD distances are shorter.... be greener... plan the trips better, buy a moto or a bicycle..... or better yet - walk!

I use a scooter or bike for short trips... too old for the walk :-((

WW

May 29, 2006
Propane is much lower pressure so it is an easier conversion. I was driving a propane car some 20 years ago and you could also switch back to gasoline if you weren't able to fill the tank in time. NG makes more sense for very large fleet vehicles like school and city buses.

Has anyone tried biodiesel in the DR? That will work in a regular diesel car even without a kit and you can make your own fuel from used cooking grease. The exhaust is also not nearly as toxic as regular diesel fuel.

The DR could be petroleum independent if they did a little work on ethanol and biodiesel development. There are numerous emerging technologies out there that are quickly becoming cost effective, including one where they use the sap of something called a "pencil tree" to produce biodiesel -- it grows wild in the DR. It's that leafless green tree with the nasty white sap. The white sap is mostly latex which can be converted to fuel.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CB I tried to be polite when answering..... hope it worked

Still raining there? I'm on Lake Huron... no rain but hot/humid = July

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB I tried to be polite when answering..... hope it worked

Still raining there? I'm on Lake Huron... no rain but hot/humid = July

WW
I hear you...

It's rained every day for almost two weeks here in Jarabacoa. At least everything is intense green and the rivers, wells and cisterns are all full.

In six months there will be "drought" threads. Enjoy the wet while we have it!

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
It's a necessity, so we will just pay it. It can be $500 pesos/gallon and we would still buy it. Supply and demand worldwide....just like any other commodity.
You are arguing that crude oil can demand any price as through it was an inelastic good. Even if that were true, which it is not (I.E.-The drop of Crude from $148 to $30 a barrel in 2008), you inflationistas out there are forewarned that what the Gubermint takes away in increased taxation is going to have a real and detrimental impact to the overall growth of the economy in DR. In other words, there is no free lunch. Brace for impact as a result of probably the dumbest thing I have seen yet in this country other than the never ending energy crisis. It's amazing what levels stupidity can be taken to in the DR. Just when you thought they outdid themselves, they come up with something even more outlandish. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Easy for you to say. You pay the same rates for gas in Canada as here. Easy here if you earn a Canadian or American pension or income.

Tougher then you can imagine here where the average income is $200 US a month and a very good salary is $1,000 US per month. Imagine spending 20 or 30% of your monthly income on GAS for the family car just to get to and from work.

An increase in gas prices via taxation will have a massive effect on people here.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Easy for you to say. You pay the same rates for gas in Canada as here. Easy here if you earn a Canadian or American pension or income.

Tougher then you can imagine here where the average income is $200 US a month and a very good salary is $1,000 US per month. Imagine spending 20 or 30% of your monthly income on GAS for the family car just to get to and from work.

An increase in gas prices via taxation will have a massive effect on people here.

The difference between here and Canada and US is that public transport is readily available here. It takes patience and depending on another person's schedule, but eventually, I can get about anywhere I want here via bus, guagua, car, motorcycle, or mule (for a couple of very remote locations). That is not the case in the US outside larger cities.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Yes you can get around easily here if you are willing to.

BUT again lets look at the impact on a typical Dominican who earns 6,000RD per month.

If they take the gua gua twice a day at 20 RD each way AND the price goes up to 26 RD each way - huge increase in the cost of transportation to them

And if gas prices increase then it costs more to get products to market - so now the cost of rice goes up, and oil, and bread, and vegetables etc. You get the idea.

For many of us an increase of 20% in gas - well we can handle it, we won't like it but we can handle it.

But for 75% of Dominicans this will effect their day to day lives dramatically!