Dominican "nannies" in NYC?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Just heard from my nephew in NYC that his son will start daycare for 9 hours a day -- for $2500 a month! Now this may be a great place and they may love it but he said that that is the same wage as for a nanny!

Hard to believe that this work pays $15 an hour! Surely there should be lots of people who would do this for $10 an hour, no?

Not a great wage for NYC certainly but a decent living. I wonder if there is a special sort of schooling for Nannies -- and whether this is something that the Dominicans in NYC are doing? Since Dominicans are really great with kids ----
If there is anyone on the Board with a family member with references, I would love to be in contact (in case day care does not cut it or they cannot afford it in the end)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That $10-15 per hour will include room and board in most cases.... not much left to spend the wages on.

Not a bad life for people really..... hard part is accessing the USA legally.

Canada will offer similar opportunity in the major cities..... Philapinas are commonplace

WW

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
That $10-15 per hour will include room and board in most cases.... not much left to spend the wages on.

Not a bad life for people really..... hard part is accessing the USA legally.

Canada will offer similar opportunity in the major cities..... Philapinas are commonplace

WW

There is a huge population of Dominicans in NYC- and there the wages are not for live ins-- I was just wondering if it was something that Dominicans in NYC were doing-- getting trained for etc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
England has schools for this type of thing.... nannies, butlers, domestics and so on... but they probably cost... still, a properly trained Nanny commands a very good wage.

I agree with you about good RD girls becoming good Nannies/Domestics.
Ours came from the Phillipines

A school in the DR would be a good idea .... then the placement agency

Another business in the making !!!...... it would work !!

WW

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Canadian Nanny

I'm a nanny in Ontario, Canada in a decent sized city. Not Toronto or Ottawa but still decent size. I have one child right now and I charge $15/hour. It was a little more when I was working with twins.

As far as schooling goes, taking a Child and Youth Worker program or an Early Childhood Education program is what most people would opt to take for this type of work. In my city they are both offered at the local college for a reasonable price (when I took the 3 year child and youth worker program about 4 years ago it was about $8000 for the 3 years)

There are also many smaller courses that are offered to add to your education which are very cheap. (example - literacy for children under 5. This was about $250)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Clelleeyyy you might be in London ON

Thanks for the good advice you offer....

This can be a good thing for those RD girls who want to pursue it.

I'm in Grand Bend ON right now.... otherwise Cabrera

Good Luck

WW

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I'm in Kingston actually (trying to make my way back to Sosua lol) :)

There is always the option to take all of these courses and programs online and then persue a job. That might make things easier depending on internet availability.

I wouldnt want any other job .. I love what I do and only wish that I could find some work in RD doing exactly this ....

hmmmmm, I wonder if opening my own daycare would be an option...

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Just heard from my nephew in NYC that his son will start daycare for 9 hours a day -- for $2500 a month! Now this may be a great place and they may love it but he said that that is the same wage as for a nanny!

Hard to believe that this work pays $15 an hour! Surely there should be lots of people who would do this for $10 an hour, no?

Not a great wage for NYC certainly but a decent living. I wonder if there is a special sort of schooling for Nannies -- and whether this is something that the Dominicans in NYC are doing? Since Dominicans are really great with kids ----
If there is anyone on the Board with a family member with references, I would love to be in contact (in case day care does not cut it or they cannot afford it in the end)

Where in NYC is your nephew living? Good friends of mine living in northern Manhattan (Inwood/Wash. Heights area) take their infant son to a great in-home day care center run by a Dominican couple. They love the couple and found it more reasonable than non-home day care.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I too live in NYC (northern Harlem) and my children go to in-home day care center run by a Dominican lady. She is licensed and cheap in NYC standard (800 a month for 2 kids!!).
Of course, She is great with kids and her house is spotless. Last but not least, she does my daughter's hair better than I, LOL.

If I had 2500/month to spend, i would have someone come to my house. And I am sure he could find someone for $2000.

Interestingly, if you stroll through the "nice" NYC neighborhood, most nannies are Black from the West Indies. I think hispanics women are disadvantaged because of the language barrier (unlike me, most parents do not think it s cool to have a Spanish speaking nanny and have their kids learn a second language at an early age)

PM me if you want more info Annie.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We had a live in nanny in Bergen County NJ when my youngest son was 0-3. Two different cousins of my wife from the campo. Neither spoke English (not important for us) and one recieved their immigration papers from my mother-in-law 25 years ago, and my wife and I recently did the paperwork as the guarentee for the second. They can on Sunday night and then I drove them home Friday after I got home from work. We picked and dropped off one in the Heights and the other in el Bronx. We paid US$150/wk. They cleaned and cooked dinner also. Now, one cleans houses when she can and vive del goberino, and the other works at a McDonald's in the Bronx where her son is the manager. I thinks she cleans tables and works in the back. Son primos, so we see them often and have recently sponsored one their brothers to come to NYC. Esta como funciona adentro de la familia.