New Development in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Just east of the Cabarete East Condominiums site a large portion of beachfront property was prepped for a development called La Palmeras de Cabarete. The Developpers have now sold the land to another developper who is planning something les grandiose than the La Palmeras plans. They have moved in some trailers for the workers on the land now.
Does anyone know the name of the new project and have a website to give me??? Or does anyone know what they are planning and for when.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Is this one of the Russian mafia sites??? Am hearing a lot about Russian bad boys moving on "native" businesses...

Shame...too bad they all have diplomatic passports!! Should shoot 'em, before they multiply..

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is this one of the Russian mafia sites??? Am hearing a lot about Russian bad boys moving on "native" businesses...

Shame...too bad they all have diplomatic passports!! Should shoot 'em, before they multiply..

HB

None of the names or CV's are Russian on their website.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Mr. Brown's interest in the Dominican Republic began in 2006 when he and a few partners acquired the beachfront property near Cabarete. Recently he acquired a 100% controlling interest in the property

Ssurf, From their website... This could be the ownership change referred to by the op.

HB, no Russians involved at all that I'm aware of.

Nice piece of land they have but on rough ocean water. I wish 'em success but I don't share the vision that buyers exist for so many new 2 & 3 bedroom expensive oceanfront units.
Cabarete does need and could support a nice hotel or two with tour contracts to each bring 300-400 new tourists in every week, instead of all the condos. That would be nice, to replace loss of azurro, punta goleta, camino del sol hotels, etc.

What a difference even 100 tourists more on the beach at night makes in this little town.

Last edited:

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Outside of town vs in town

I can't help but think that this is the void that Gran Cabanna Cabarete is trying to fill. Their website says they will link their existing property to the beach via a pedestrian overpass and have waterfront homes, beach club, restaurant, etc.

Add this to the old Windsurf property, add the over sixty new units they are struggling to build--all of which seem to have lock-off units that are in fact designed to accommodate the tour operators' needs for smaller rooms, and you seem to have the equivalent of a condo-hotel right in town.

With no need for the guests to be transported into town, why isn't this a winning concept? or is it and it just needs time for the economy to catch up to it again?

Reactions: mike l

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
None of the names or CV's are Russian on their website.

Looks like an ownership duel to me.... or the others got cold feet.... who cares?
New man seems to have deep pockets..... if you believe what you read about him.

Time will tell..... starting construction now??
Brave, rich.....omniscient... forward thinker

anybody want to add other adjectives ??

WW

In all honesty, some very smart operators move forward in times like this.... use slow/down times to their advantage.

Four Seasons for one example refurbs their properties in the slow time.... witness Casa de Campo

Again.... time will tell

Last edited:
Reactions: mike l

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
abe,
perhaps. i don't know what their mix of 2 bedroom/1 bedroom/studios is there... or if they hope to contract with some tour companies to have a weekly charter plane load of tourists coming in... i doubt it since they're selling individual units.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
abe,
perhaps. i don't know what their mix of 2 bedroom/1 bedroom/studios is there... or if they hope to contract with some tour companies to have a weekly charter plane load of tourists coming in... i doubt it since they're selling individual units.

Most new units now have the "hotel rent" addendum

You simply block off your time and hope the rent-out portions pay you well

WW

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Thank you for giving me the name and the link to Amber Dunes. It does seem very nice. Let's hope it will be one project that sees a successfull completion. As they are our neighbours at Cabarete East it would be nice to have a nice spa right next door.

By the way the ocean is not as bad as people imply in front of that lot, as long as you know how to read the ocean and not go in when there is an undertow. Playing in the ocean in front is actually very fun, with the waves. Of course like in any other place, you do not swim alone, or drunk. Nheh sayers will dissagree, they will say it is dangerous, of course we cannot swim every day or all day as the tides change but we are able to swim most days, I know, I live at Cabarete East which is right next door to Amber Dunes. Our owners even Kite surf right here on the beach and somedays they can surf.

Suzanne

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Let's get back to the GranCabannaCabarete for a minute. If their 60 or so new condos all split into a 1BR and a studio, then you add back what the former Windsurf Resort had (a dozen 2BR's and about 30 1 BR's...

then you add the new beachfront residential units they might build on the Pequeno Refugio site after they rehab that place....

Now we have a pretty huge property in the heart of town--effectively on the very swimmable, hospitable, action-oriented main beach of Cabarete. They are proposing a walkway over to the beach so that answers the question of access.

Seems like a pretty attractive choice for tour operators who really don't want their guests having to take motoconchos into town from the outlying areas, etc. etc.

Nobody asked me but, this property--if it's completed to a high standard--seems to have some competitive advantage to ones like Amber Dunes. What am I missing?

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Abe,

In my book different people want different things. Not everyone wants to be in the middle of town with noise tille 3h00a.m., motoconchos, diesel fumes, crowded beaches.
We enjoy having an almost private beach, peace and quiet at night and the advantage of being close to town when we do want the noise and the crowds.
Amber Dunes and Cabarete East are 1 killometer from the center of town, taxis are readily available, most owners have their cars.... This is the 21st century getting around is not a problem any more.

So you see there are no problems....

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Abe,
Not everyone wants to be in the middle of town with noise tille 3h00a.m., motoconchos, diesel fumes, crowded beaches.

I've no real reason to support Gran Cabanna (silly spelling they chose, huh?), but I believe you'd find it to be a quiet location at night. Motoconcho noise is surprisingly non-existent a short distance off the street. I stayed at Cita del Sol for a few months in center of town and it was extremely (and surprisingly) quiet. Diesel fumes? Can't imagine what you're referring to. Crowded beaches... really not crowded, but if you want almost no one on the beach, Cabarete East would be the better choice.

I'm not knocking Cabarete East. It's a nice enough place. Not sure why you feel the need to disparage (in my opinion with not so accurate claims) another location while promoting where you own a condo. Plus, when not sleeping or lying in the sun, most of your visitors to Cabarete East head to the "motoconcho, diesel smelling, crowded" town center of Cabarete ;)

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Sorry you feel I'm disparaging other locations. As I mentionned at the start of my message, different people have different tastes and the good thing about Cabarete is that there are different things to choose from for all tastes.
But you are correct I love Cabarete East, otherwise we would not have bought there. I only stated that there are people who prefer not being in the middle of town and that Amber Dunes will be a nice location, close to town without being in the middle of it.

Different strokes for different folks.....

I've no real reason to support Gran Cabanna (silly spelling they chose, huh?), but I believe you'd find it to be a quiet location at night. Motoconcho noise is surprisingly non-existent a short distance off the street. I stayed at Cita del Sol for a few months in center of town and it was extremely (and surprisingly) quiet. Diesel fumes? Can't imagine what you're referring to. Crowded beaches... really not crowded, but if you want almost no one on the beach, Cabarete East would be the better choice.

I'm not knocking Cabarete East. It's a nice enough place. Not sure why you feel the need to disparage (in my opinion with not so accurate claims) another location while promoting where you own a condo. Plus, when not sleeping or lying in the sun, most of your visitors to Cabarete East head to the "motoconcho, diesel smelling, crowded" town center of Cabarete ;)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looks nice & the amenities sound good.
But it appears the density of units is high.

44339_147018555326336_123326614362197_339722_2698646_n.jpg

Best for the developer to load the land with units($$$), but it looks like a mini-AI layout to me. Best of luck, however, that they find their target market/clientelle & can bring more visitors to the Cabarete area.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
They are going to build that on the beach at Cabarete?

Please tell me I have misunderstood..

That big blue bit at the bottom left - that is not the sea?? Surely!!!

That is a total monstrosity.

Again, I hope I have got this wrong.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
1.5 km east of Cabarete

The land where this would be built is the large oceanfront property between Orilla del Mar and Cabarete East.

QUOTE=CFA123;885771]Early stages of construction about 2-3km east of Cabarete, oceanfront.[/QUOTE]

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I stayed at the little hotel in between Cabarete East and the proposed Amber Dune monstrosity. The hotel is called Barefoot Beach Pad, it's little-known and totally under-appreciated. I really hope that big resort doesn't ruin the business of this lovely, small, family-run hotel. I agree with the lady who lives at Cabarete East who said the ocean out there is not as rough as everyone says. I swam there almost every day and yes, the waves are bigger than in town, but I didn't feel an undertow or anything. Not safe for small children or those who can't swim, but GREAT for everyone else. It's a LOVELY stretch of beach, I actually preferred it to the Cabarete town beach because it's quieter and more secluded. My boyfriend and I laughed and laughed at the things the people on DR1 had to say about the area east of Cabarete once we walked the beach into town a few times. None of it was true. The Amber Dune development is a great place for a resort, I just wish it weren't so huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.