Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costs to attend school in the DR?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Costs to attend school in the DR?

I'm asking on behave of someone else.

When does public school start in the DR? What is the cost in pesos for a child to attend school in the DR for school supplies, uniforms etc. I'm a little out of touch and couldn't give an answer to current prices.

Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

17 August
    Two sets of uniforms, about $60, but better three...so at least $100 (either khakis and shirt or khaki skirt and shirt) Shoes apart..another $20.00
    "Books" for public school...$100
    "Supplies" another $20...pencils, rulers, erasers, notebooks

Knowledge;;;;;PRICELESS...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    I'm asking on behave of someone else.

When does public school start in the DR? What is the cost in pesos for a child to attend school in the DR for school supplies, uniforms etc. I'm a little out of touch and couldn't give an answer to current prices.

Thank you for your help.
    August 18th is the official day, so depending on the school it will be the 18th or several days later. A pencil is about 10 pesos, a book about 35 pesos, about 3-500 pesos for shoes, 150 for a shirt, 200 for pants. If you have to buy text books it will be another 800-1000. Then there is registration and tuition - that varies a lot. Public schools there is no, I repeat no registration fee, or tuition, or textbook cost. There however will be costs for school supplies and uniforms. Yris charges a set rate and supplies all school supplies and text books, but not uniforms. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

So around $50.00 US dollars mas or menos would be plenty for a child to start school that has no registration or tuition fees?

Thank you so much

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, very cheap. You cannot expect a student to use the same uniform every day of the week....
    HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default school

so if i understand public or private start about aug 18 or a little later and the cast public no fee except for cloths they need and the private is about 150 us
    did i understand correctly pls let me know

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It really is a daft situation, Leonel and the government make great show of proclaiming free education in the DR but just how many families can afford these charges for all their sons and daughters. I know of families here who share their uniforms so that at least one child can go to school each day. Mixed son and daughter families have additional problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I was only referring to what I "thought" it might cost to send a child well dressed to a public school.
    I figured on a couple of nice notebooks, a pencil and pen box, and there are books to be bought if you want to be a really good student. Since teachers do seldom spend a penny of their own money (don't really have it to spend) on supplies like construction paper, paints, glues, letters etc, I figured in a little for that stuff too.

Honestly, I have not been to La Sirena to price pants, shoes and shirts. They are inexpensive a child should have at least two and preferibly three sets to go to school clean. I did not mention socks, either, and so I figured maybe 1000 pesos or 1300 pesos in uniforms.
    Add maybe 10 dollars for a fair back pack, and 20 dollars to fill it with stuff like notebooks and stuff.

Now, if you are talking about a good private school, wow, all bets are off. Registration and first month's tuition can be--here in Santiago--10 to 12,000. Books an easy 5,000. Uniforms, a good deal less, since most use khakis and a different colored shirt, but some have really different uniforms. And the bi-lingual schools are even more expensive....

HB

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

This is good to know as I am going to put one of my cousins through high school starting this year. The monthly tuition for the school he will be attending is around $1,500 DOP a month.

Post Thanks / Like

That is dirt cheap for a private school.

HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast