Costs to attend school in the DR?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm asking on behave of someone else.

When does public school start in the DR? What is the cost in pesos for a child to attend school in the DR for school supplies, uniforms etc. I'm a little out of touch and couldn't give an answer to current prices.

Thank you for your help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
17 August
Two sets of uniforms, about $60, but better three...so at least $100 (either khakis and shirt or khaki skirt and shirt) Shoes apart..another $20.00
"Books" for public school...$100
"Supplies" another $20...pencils, rulers, erasers, notebooks

Knowledge;;;;;PRICELESS...

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm asking on behave of someone else.

When does public school start in the DR? What is the cost in pesos for a child to attend school in the DR for school supplies, uniforms etc. I'm a little out of touch and couldn't give an answer to current prices.

Thank you for your help.

August 18th is the official day, so depending on the school it will be the 18th or several days later. A pencil is about 10 pesos, a book about 35 pesos, about 3-500 pesos for shoes, 150 for a shirt, 200 for pants. If you have to buy text books it will be another 800-1000. Then there is registration and tuition - that varies a lot. Public schools there is no, I repeat no registration fee, or tuition, or textbook cost. There however will be costs for school supplies and uniforms. Yris charges a set rate and supplies all school supplies and text books, but not uniforms. Hope this helps.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So around $50.00 US dollars mas or menos would be plenty for a child to start school that has no registration or tuition fees?

Thank you so much

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IMO, very cheap. You cannot expect a student to use the same uniform every day of the week....
HB

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
school

so if i understand public or private start about aug 18 or a little later and the cast public no fee except for cloths they need and the private is about 150 us
did i understand correctly pls let me know :)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It really is a daft situation, Leonel and the government make great show of proclaiming free education in the DR but just how many families can afford these charges for all their sons and daughters. I know of families here who share their uniforms so that at least one child can go to school each day. Mixed son and daughter families have additional problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was only referring to what I "thought" it might cost to send a child well dressed to a public school.
I figured on a couple of nice notebooks, a pencil and pen box, and there are books to be bought if you want to be a really good student. Since teachers do seldom spend a penny of their own money (don't really have it to spend) on supplies like construction paper, paints, glues, letters etc, I figured in a little for that stuff too.

Honestly, I have not been to La Sirena to price pants, shoes and shirts. They are inexpensive a child should have at least two and preferibly three sets to go to school clean. I did not mention socks, either, and so I figured maybe 1000 pesos or 1300 pesos in uniforms.
Add maybe 10 dollars for a fair back pack, and 20 dollars to fill it with stuff like notebooks and stuff.

Now, if you are talking about a good private school, wow, all bets are off. Registration and first month's tuition can be--here in Santiago--10 to 12,000. Books an easy 5,000. Uniforms, a good deal less, since most use khakis and a different colored shirt, but some have really different uniforms. And the bi-lingual schools are even more expensive....

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
This is good to know as I am going to put one of my cousins through high school starting this year. The monthly tuition for the school he will be attending is around $1,500 DOP a month.

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
for a private school would you sa 250us is the cost to cloths, books and fees enough and when do they start again ?

thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Cathy which private school is the child attending? I'm sure someone here will know the school and what they charge monthly.

Read the posts again. School starts August 18 or mabe later depending which one it is. Last exchange rate posted was around 35 pesos to a US dollar and most quotes above are in pesos.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
That is dirt cheap for a private school.

HB

It's not an upscale school. He'll be attending colegio Fausto Jimenez in Los Reyes. I don't know how well off he is academically as I never really had much contact with him. I am taking this big responsibility because his father which happened to be one of my favorite uncles passed away recently. If he shows he can attend a better school through his grades I am willing to pay up and send him somewhere better. I figured let me start him off there. Not sure if that's the right approach though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
El Tigre: I know that school well. I know where it is and I can look in on him if you want. You can {PM} me if you want with name and address and so forth and I can have a work with the director...

Funny how small this world really is...

HB

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
El Tigre: I know that school well. I know where it is and I can look in on him if you want. You can {PM} me if you want with name and address and so forth and I can have a work with the director...

Funny how small this world really is...

HB

jijijijijiji I actually went to that school when it was started back in the 80s. I attended from 1986 to 1988. 88 is when I came to live in NYC.

And I will certainly PM you his name. Is Dona Elsa still the director of the school? I haven't been back there in years. Another thing I intend on doing is sending the dues directly to the school and paying a few months in advance. Two/three years ago I was putting 3 kids through school and got burnt real bad. I was sending the money to a cousin of mine who I thought I could trust and she stole some of the money. Really bad experience!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Costs in today's newspapers:
El Encanto has back packs fro 450 to 1300
Shoes from 450 to 750 and a "school line" no prices printed

La Sirena has the blue shirts from 95 to225 childrens and 295 adolescent
Skirts at 275 children and 349 for bigger girls--teens I would think.
khakis from 325 up to 449
Gym clothes, something we ALL forgot about:
Pants 199-295
T-shirts from 95 up
School shoes from 295 up
socks 18 up
Back packs 195 & up
Every size and color pen and pencil
Notebooks 28 and up

So there you can make a budget +/-

HB