What is the best beach closest to SD (the capital) that is NOT BocaChica???

Robee

Dec 2, 2005
What is the best beach closest to SD (the capital) that is NOT BocaChica??? I love Santo Domingo but not Boca Chica. The water is great but the constant assault by vendors is too much for me. I need some peace and quiet. I travel alone and speak Spanish so I guess I am the perfect target for them. I do understand they are just trying to earn a decent "peso" but I am trying to have a vacation ... ... Anyway, other than Boca Chica ... what would be the closest nice beach that I can reach from "la Capital"???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can drive past Boca Chica to Playa Caribe/Embassy Beach or further to Juan Dolio. Or you can drive west to Playa Najayo or Playa Palenque in San Cristobal province [45 min to Najayo, 55 min to Palenque]. Of those two, Playa Palenque is much quieter and nicer.

AE

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Shameless promotion........

What is the best beach closest to SD (the capital) that is NOT BocaChica??? I love Santo Domingo but not Boca Chica. The water is great but the constant assault by vendors is too much for me. I need some peace and quiet. I travel alone and speak Spanish so I guess I am the perfect target for them. I do understand they are just trying to earn a decent "peso" but I am trying to have a vacation ... ... Anyway, other than Boca Chica ... what would be the closest nice beach that I can reach from "la Capital"???

Awwwwww........I really feel hurt. (As union BOSS of all the Beach Vendors)......I know the Vid probably won't change your mind, but take a look!! PS.............Love those two words...."CONSTANT ASSAULT"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gj6pbKO2tzg&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gj6pbKO2tzg&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reactions: Celt202

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Guayacanes - 45 mins east of capital - try el Pescador on the beach - lounge chairs and great seafood, or as has been said Juan Dolio another 10 mins east - Villas del Mar Juan Dolio is very very quiet and amazing sandy beaches in front of Costa del Sol apartments.

Matilda

Robee

Dec 2, 2005
!Gracias!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. And my apology to "Rice'nBeans", the Vendors Union Boss. I love the country as well (and Boca Chica too).

joebanks

Jul 30, 2010
I for one love Boca Chica Beach and found when you say no in Spanish or English and wave your hand like you are swatting a fly, and don't give them any attention ,they go away. Also, hang out at the Boat House, they don't come in there generally. I will be selling beach signs in the future :) :) There just trying to survive in a country where unemployment is over 25%!!!Better than robing you!
Joe Banks USA

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The beach at Guayacanes and Juan Dolio is better if you're an accomplished swimmer. You get some surf in Juan Dolio but watch for the slight undertow. I am a waterbaby and Juan Dolio is a great alternative to Boca Chica. That place is for beach people, not water people.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Guayacanes gets my vote too. The beach is beautiful and has no beach vendors. The weekends can sometimes get busywith locals but during the week it is very quiet.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

It?s all depend what is a good beach for you.
To me non of the beaches mention before are even good.
the best of those beaches is Juan Dolio, but for dominicans standards is just ok.
The closest great beach from Santo Domingo is Bayahibe, and it?s a 2 hours drive.
I live in Santo Domingo, and have the same problem. I am a beach lover and have to drive over 2 hours on weekend to Bayahibe or Samana to find a good beach.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yeh, its a bit of a pain living in santo domingo on the coast but unable to go to the beach. I prefer to head towards JD and you have a couple of quiet but equiped, beaches 10 mins this side of JD. Not good with names, sorry!

wyoav211933

Aug 3, 2010
I didn't go to the beach very often when I was there, but I did enjoy Palenque because it was pretty quiet and was a good place to go if you just wanted to lay in the sun. I know that there was a place somewhere close to Nizao (well, Don Gregorio reallay) that people always seemed to go to on the weekends, I understand that it was a place that you could go surfing too, but I never went there

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
actually no one has suggested this but the drive time might be a little farther than BC or Juan Dolio. The beaches in BANI are very nice and quiet and most of the time tourist free! I had a wonderful time out there and spent part of the day in the Bani area, beautiful little town and great beach! :)
drive time from La Capital, i'd say a little over an hour? maybe 1 hour 15 mins?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

I totally agree with you that the vendors are a pain in the behind in Boca Chica. However you can find peace and quiet at the Boat House in Boca Chica which is right on the beach. Vendors are not allowed to enter here.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I totally agree with you that the vendors are a pain in the behind in Boca Chica. However you can find peace and quiet at the Boat House in Boca Chica which is right on the beach. Vendors are not allowed to enter here.

If I am not mistaken one has to buy meals/drinks while in BH, so one day of beach sunbathing will cost $50US per person.

Or I am not correct?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you were cheap you could string the whole day out with a couple of Sprites.

Happy hour from 5-PM helps - free internet - so it works out fine for most.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Playa Esmeralda in Guayacanes was charging $30 for a day pass (12-5) with all you can eat (complete with pasta grill) and all you can drink. Complete run of the beach and pool.

We even got the little wrist bands so we could return to Santo Domingo looking like escapees from an AI. Waay funny!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
If I am not mistaken one has to buy meals/drinks while in BH, so one day of beach sunbathing will cost $50US per person.

Or I am not correct?

Well you have to consume something that's normal but there're a lot of people that don't even spend the 3rd of that. But everybody is more than welcome to spend more, Lawrence would be very grateful for that;)
What it boils down to is that the Boat House is about the best place in Boca Chica to spend the day on the beach and as PC pointed out they have free wifi there.