18,000 pesos a month

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
What sort of jobs would pay around RD$18,000 a month salary (including any perks). I really have no idea so here are my guesses (savage them as necessary!):
A qualified teacher teaching general subjects in school?
A Caribe Tours/Metro bus driver?
A police captain?
Owner of a small but viable colmado?
Section manager in La Sirena or other large store?

I am trying to send someone an idea of comparative salaries and I would be grateful for your input.

Reactions: jrhartley

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
clarification

I am interested in jobs yielding around 16,000 to 20,000 pesos. I was thinking of jobs for dominicans not for gringos. I am sorry I did not make that clear.

Reactions: mike l

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Public school teachers make less than half that and so do entry level cops. I don't think captains make that much more, but I'm not sure how the ranks work there. I doubt very much if bus drivers would make that much either. A colmado owner could theoreticall make good money, but it is not a job per se. How much they make depends on their location and how good a business person they are.

Reactions: mike l

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
What sort of jobs would pay around RD$18,000 a month salary (including any perks). I really have no idea so here are my guesses (savage them as necessary!):
A qualified teacher teaching general subjects in school?
A Caribe Tours/Metro bus driver?
A police captain?
Owner of a small but viable colmado?
Section manager in La Sirena or other large store?

I am trying to send someone an idea of comparative salaries and I would be grateful for your input.

I am interested in jobs yielding around 16,000 to 20,000 pesos. I was thinking of jobs for dominicans not for gringos. I am sorry I did not make that clear.

I know very many dominicans who would like to work for that kind of money. My guess is that the only one in your list that has a chance at that kind of money is the colmado owner, who was also a full time on site manager.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Thanks, keep'em coming

Thanks, sweetdbt and wuarhat, for your input. But still only one possible in my range and that is the colmado owner, which being self-employed is hard to quantify. So if anyone else has any suggestions, preferably as an employee ...?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've heard that AMET officers can make that kind of money. Between 15K to 20K a month.

Don't know how true that is, but it came from a Dominican who has a cousin in the AMET. He says it reduces the corruption as they don't need to take bribes.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
CFA I'm actually serious. I've been there twice and costs seem par for an average city in the US. Is there two separate costs for Dominicans and tourists? When Dominican go out to dinner making 18,000 pesos a month do they get the 10 peso meal as opposed to the 500 peso meal? I'm not being sarcastic I just don't understand how families can survive off of 18,000 pesos a month especially if that is considered a good salary.

The 'average' Dominican doesn't go out to eat. The ones you see working in hotels, receptionists in offices, workers at stores... may dress nicely, but they're very much paycheck to paycheck. I have professional friends for whom a 500 peso night out is expensive and a rare treat. I have others for whom US$500 for a night out is nothing.

sherri

Jan 25, 2006

Unless this Dominican is well educated and can speak English as well, its slim pickens. I know most security guards make about 8000 a month, a teacher teaching in public school will make some where between 10-15000 per month. Police officers make next to nothing..my brother in law makes 54000 a month..the pay really differes..most people either make next to nothing or alot..its not alot of middle ground..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is rather difficult to get 18k pesos. a truck driver in brugal gets about 16k pesos base salary plus perks, can be above 25 with all benefits (more experience = more money). probably the same can be said about metro/caribe drivers. but they are skilled people.
a carpenter (even a local one) with own shop will also make a nice salary, so will a dude putting ceramic tiles or another skilled (key word) worker.

Activ_POP

Oct 8, 2009
I've heard that AMET officers can make that kind of money. Between 15K to 20K a month.

Don't know how true that is, but it came from a Dominican who has a cousin in the AMET. He says it reduces the corruption as they don't need to take bribes.

An AMET officer who doesn't take a bribe? Everyone likes a good bribe every now and then. And quite frankly, many people paying the bribes might rather give it to the officer than to the govt...

E

engineerfg

Entry level Dentist at Salud Publica. 22K pesos per month (net of tax).

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Airline reservations clerk: 16k pesos per month plus travel privileges
Airline reservations office supervisor: 25k pesos per month plus travel privileges

Less for those working at the airport.

E

engineerfg

Maid, 3 times a week, 4000 pesos a month.

Guard, 12 hours a day, 28 days a month, 10K pesos/month.

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
Hi!!! What would be a good salary to pay a maid in the capital as well as a chef. Let's say the maid works 3 days a week for full 8 hrs a day. And the cook who works 5 days a week only cooking lunch and dinner. Any ideas?

Reactions: jrhartley

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
it is rather difficult to get 18k pesos. a truck driver in brugal gets about 16k pesos base salary plus perks, can be above 25 with all benefits (more experience = more money). probably the same can be said about metro/caribe drivers. but they are skilled people.
a carpenter (even a local one) with own shop will also make a nice salary, so will a dude putting ceramic tiles or another skilled (key word) worker.

Tradesmen are actually paid pretty poorly, especially in comparisson to europe, USA, Canada. I've come to the conclusion in this city that unless you wear a tie for work you are not going to be making more than 16K. My friend who refuels planes at the airport makes 60,000, and my cousin makes 40,000 for laying tiles in punta cana hotels and my accountant friend makes 35K.
So not alot makes sense, but working for others in the city is not the way to get rich, survive and live a simple life is easy and all most none tie wearing people do. In reality though, the majority of Dominican businessmen in the city bat way above their average and is all show.
IMO