how to solve security threat?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Since a couple of days I have received spam mail from a friend... I never opened it, and I warned him...

Nevertheless I seem to be spreading this spam to my addressbook...

I ran a virusscan on the whole comp, with no infections found... I tried a second scan by another manufacturer, and no dice... clean...

The email address in question is a live.be address (which is an updated address from the hotmail addresses)

I would like to keep this address as it is the one known by friends, and relatives all over the world...

Any ideas on how to clean it up, so I will not be sending spam, and viruses to people?

And sorry for all of those who received an email in dutch from me... delete it without reading it... sorry

Peter

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Download Malwarebytes Antimalware. Install it and run it. If it doesn't let you install it just let me know. I'll help you out.

Hot mail accounts and derivatives all seem to be sending out spam, I keep getting junk from my sons hotmail account which he doesnt use any longer.

Advance care will work to a degree cleaning up malware

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It very well likely may be someone elses machine "spoofing" The OP's address, in which case there is not much you can do.

Check the IP address of one of the emails sent, I bet it originates from another machine.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Wud about hotmail. People with a hotmail account seem to be especially vulnerable. At least almost all the messages I get of this sort are from hotmail addresses.

E

engineerfg

one thing not suggested above...

One thing not mentioned above... change your password.

Some spyware is initiated by a phishing scam, ie. you logged in, got a message about a joke, you went to open it and you were prompted to log in again. it's amazing how people turn into 'autopilot' when they see the login screen and don't realize why they're being asked to log in again.

This method of scam gets your email address, and logs in as you in an automated fashion to spam out to your friends unbeknownst to you...