Shelf life of a wall fan

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Dont know what happened to my original question so I will post it again.

I have had a wall fan for about a year now and it has always worked well. However within the past couple of weeks it takes a long time to get started, then last night, it woke me up making a loud noise and with a smell of burning. Can this be fixed? Or am I going to have to buy a new one? Does anyone know of a place to get it repaired, preferably in Sosua?

It is not over used. It is only used at night over my baby's bed.

Thanks.

Oh and why does it matter how close I live to the ocean?????

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the second gonzalez store in puerto plata repair all sorts of things that you might have thought of throwing out - its towards the beach from the main store - but I suspect it may be beyond repair- my electrical items all have a shelf life of about a year

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Probably the starting capacitor.

Easy fix and cheap, if you can solder and know a thing or two about electrics.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Cheaper to buy a new one.
2) The salt in the ocean air eats up electrical stuff.

That said:
A) You could get it oiled from time to time
B) If it smells, it might be burned out from a lack of lubrication

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dont know what happened to my original question so I will post it again.

I have had a wall fan for about a year now and it has always worked well. However within the past couple of weeks it takes a long time to get started, then last night, it woke me up making a loud noise and with a smell of burning. Can this be fixed? Or am I going to have to buy a new one? Does anyone know of a place to get it repaired, preferably in Sosua?

It is not over used. It is only used at night over my baby's bed.

Thanks.

Oh and why does it matter how close I live to the ocean?????

I have disassembled several fans that started to seize up. It sounds like the problem you are having. Continuing to run the fan as it is will probably burn it out. I have cleaned the armature shaft with very light emery cloth, reassembled the motor and lubricated the bearings with a Teflon spray.

The closer to the ocean you are, the faster things corrode, including fans.

The starting capacitor could also be causing the problem as mentioned above.

I have had better luck with KDK brand fans, by the way. La Sirena was selling a wall mounted version and I have all KDK ceiling fans in my house. They just work.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I would prefer a place in Sosua for repairs as I need it asap so my son can sleep in this heat. If there are no places here, looks like I will just have to buy a new one.

If it is the capacitor, how do I fix that? Bearing in mind I have zero knowledge of fixing things and am likely to break something else!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Take it to Freddy in Sosua, right opposite Productos Sosua supermarket.

He'll probably be able to fix it.

Although I've just recently bought a wall fan from La Sirena in POP, it was only about 900 pesos.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I took a lamp to Freddy about 4 months ago and they said they dont fix things anymore. I took a fan in the past there and he fixed it no probs, but i just thought that they dont do it anymore.

I bought this one from Playero for about 1000 pesos....but since then the price has gone up to almost double. I know La Sirena sell them for a good price, so will probably make a dash down there later. How annoying when I was there yesterday and could of got one!! Wish La Sirena deliver!!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Got it repaired in Charamicos for 500 pesos. Its now good as new! I recommend the place for any repairs. He did it in about an hour too.