Average salaries in DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
18,000 pesos a month? Isn't that $500.00 dollars? I'm going to start a new thread about this but what is an average dominican salary? Forget about being single- how can a family survive on $500.00 a month? I see ad's for apartments on this site, I feel that rent costs in the DR are maybe a little bit cheaper than the US. How much do dominicans pay in rent? Someone please respond!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
18,000 pesos a month? Isn't that $500.00 dollars? I'm going to start a new thread about this but what is an average dominican salary? Forget about being single- how can a family survive on $500.00 a month? I see ad's for apartments on this site, I feel that rent costs in the DR are maybe a little bit cheaper than the US. How much do dominicans pay in rent? Someone please respond!

Shawn, I'm sending you a 50 pesos via Western Union. Buy a clue. ;)

Dominicans paying in rent? Anywhere from 1500 pesos (or less) to 150,000 pesos (and more) monthly.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Hi. Someone posted that they were looking for a job that paid 18,000 pesos a month. That is $500.00(US). Did they forget to add an extra zero because that seems more reasonable. How can someone survive on that type of salary?

What is the average salary for someone that was gone to school, for example a teacher doctor lawyer etc? Thanks!

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Shawn, I'm sending you a 50 pesos via Western Union. Buy a clue. ;)

Dominicans paying in rent? Anywhere from 1500 pesos (or less) to 150,000 pesos (and more) monthly.

CFA I'm actually serious. I've been there twice and costs seem par for an average city in the US. Is there two separate costs for Dominicans and tourists? When Dominican go out to dinner making 18,000 pesos a month do they get the 10 peso meal as opposed to the 500 peso meal? I'm not being sarcastic I just don't understand how families can survive off of 18,000 pesos a month especially if that is considered a good salary.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hi. Someone posted that they were looking for a job that paid 18,000 pesos a month. That is $500.00(US). Did they forget to add an extra zero because that seems more reasonable. How can someone survive on that type of salary?

What is the average salary for someone that was gone to school, for example a teacher doctor lawyer etc? Thanks!

Sadly that is the average wage for these above professions on the LOWER end of the scale. I have had meetings here with many of the above occupations, and have seen an average variance of anywhere from 500 usd to 10,000 /month, but i am seeing alot more at the 1500/month range. Exception, teachers they are lower.
Hope this helps!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Teachers? Not sure, probably 10-15000 pesos a month.
Lawyers? I know some working for 30k pesos a month. I know others making 720k a month.
Doctors in the public sector, not much at all.

From DR1 news re: wages of public sector doctors from March 2008 was RD$23k monthly & there have of course been strikes on/off in attempt to get wage increases...

the strike is just the latest attempt by doctors to get a decent living wage, although talks between government officials and medical representatives are in stalemate. The doctors are asking for RD$59,000 per month. They currently receive just RD$23,000. DR1 - Daily News Thursday, 13 March 2008

Doctors still protesting late in 2009... I'm not sure if they ever got a wage adjustment. Aug 14, 2009 news indicates they'd been trying for more than a year for a salary increase DR1 - Daily News Friday, 14 August 2009

I haven't searched to see if they finally got a raise.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
CFA I'm actually serious. I've been there twice and costs seem par for an average city in the US. Is there two separate costs for Dominicans and tourists? When Dominican go out to dinner making 18,000 pesos a month do they get the 10 peso meal as opposed to the 500 peso meal? I'm not being sarcastic I just don't understand how families can survive off of 18,000 pesos a month especially if that is considered a good salary.

They share. Three generations live together. Maybe three or more incomes to a household. Children stay home til they are married and often after that.

They cook and eat at home. They do not buy imported food. Lots and lots of rice ....

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Shawn, to give you some other info.... many college grads end up working at call centers for 110 pesos/hour (roughly US$3/hour, $500/month). They hate the work, but it's unfortunately often their best paying alternative.

Reactions: ExtremeR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would that the price for rental varies as to city and location within that city. In Jarabacoa my wife charges 6500 for a small three bedroom with attached garage that is in very good shape, and 3500 for a smaller two bedroom. Both are considered to be in good locations and she could charge more but she's got good people renting that are reliable and responsible, which are hard to find. I know a number of people that make between 10-25,000 per month. I know an accountant that works for Banco Polular in Santo Domingo in their credit department and she make over 50,000 per month. A public system doctor makes around the same, and more if they practise on the side.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
The 'average' Dominican doesn't go out to eat. The ones you see working in hotels, receptionists in offices, workers at stores... may dress nicely, but they're very much paycheck to paycheck. I have professional friends for whom a 500 peso night out is expensive and a rare treat. I have others for whom US$500 for a night out is nothing.

Well that's where I'm confused. People are saying professionals can hope to make 18,000 pesos a month... I would have to be making 200,000 pesos a month to live the same lfiestyle as I do in the US. I wish there were a website I could look at that shows average dominican salaries.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Shawn,
DR1 - Business

Give that a shot. It'll shock you.
The #'s are 2001, so there's been some change...

Some other info posted on DR1 in 2009. The real #'s haven't changed much, I don't think... mostly adjusted for inflation.

Businesses with a value of more than 4 million pesos the minimum wage went from 7,360 to 8,464. Businesses valued less than 4 million pesos went from 5,060 to 5,819. Private watchmen went from 6,210 to 7,141. Service employees (restaurant/hotel) went from 4,485 to 5,157. And workers in the campo went from a daily wage of 150 pesos to 175.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Public system doctors make about 20-30k monthly, starting at about 12k....I know a Dominican girl that makes 18k monthly being a hotel office manager, my ex girlfriend is a doctor in the public system and makes the same 18k per month.....

shawn27

May 24, 2010
between 10-25,000 per month. I know an accountant that works for Banco Polular in Santo Domingo in their credit department and she make over 50,000 per month. A public system doctor makes around the same, and more if they practise on the side.[/QUOTE]

Bob, so an accountant makes a little over $16,000 (US) a year which is minimum wage here. Even a doctor that has gone to medical school will make around minumum wage. It's perplexing to me. What about if you were plastic surgeon or a high powered attorney?

I guess what I'm trying to say if I'm a psychologist and I want to work in DR would it be better to work for US company based in DR so that I can be paid by a US company or work for a DR company and expect to get paid far less?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Bob, so an accountant makes a little over $16,000 (US) a year which is minimum wage here.

I'm guessing Bob will tell you that an accountant at 'one of the most prestigious banks' she makes 50k per month... and I would guess she has many years of service. That would be more of the exception, than the rule.

Of course, there are higher up accountants I'm sure making US$100k per year in the same institution, and those making US$10k a year as well. Fewer of the former, more of the latter.

Your avg run of the mill accounting job probably pays in the range of US$10k. Someone in the U.S. would make $30-50k doing the same job (though probably doing it better & more efficiently).

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Bob thanks for the link. Those to me seem to be jobs that require little to no training. Is there a list available for jobs that are traditionally high paying? Is there a dominican based airline? How much would a dominican pilot make? Things of that nature.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Shawn,
This is worth putting in bold:
One's position and salary here is more often than not decided by whom you know as opposed to what you can do.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Shawn,
This is worth putting in bold:
One's position and salary here is more often than not decided by whom you know as opposed to what you can do.

Well that's no surprise that's anywhere. Networking can get you places. There are some jobs that aren't even avertised even if they're looking. Many people rely on their good employees to provide references.

Status
Not open for further replies.