Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyclef Jean running for President in Haiti ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wyclef Jean running for President in Haiti ?

My cousin from Neuva York called me early this morning, all happy and with his list of solutions for Haiti, to tell me that Wyclef is running for President. If the energy felt from my cousin’s voice is the same in the youths in Haiti, Cleft should be president with no problem.

Wyclef Jean President Of Haiti? Ex-Fugee Mulling Campaign

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would he want to do that to himself? There is nothing in it for him personally, and he sure as hell won't achieve a single thing, if he even has a clear vision of what he wants to do.
    Besides, he has no political experience whatsoever, so he would be eaten alive by the forces that control Haitian politics, and either be a helpless puppet president, or on a plane on his way to central Africa within a very short time.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

crook.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariot View Post
    Why would he want to do that to himself? There is nothing in it for him personally, and he sure as hell won't achieve a single thing, if he even has a clear vision of what he wants to do.
    Besides, he has no political experience whatsoever
    Hey, not that the analogy is a good one, but Bloomberg has not been that bad for NY.

I say "why not". It would not hurt!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Run, Wyclef. Run!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariot View Post
    Besides, he has no political experience whatsoever, so he would be eaten alive by the forces that control Haitian politics, and either be a helpless puppet president, or on a plane on his way to central Africa within a very short time.
    YouTube - Wyclef Jean-If I Was President

The fact that he has no experience in Haiti politics is probably his greatest asset. He has been involved with NGO aid to Haiti for quite a while and knows who makes things move there. The whole gang of current politicians has done nothing significant for the peope of Haiti and should be retired and replaced.

As for him being "eaten alive by the forces that control Haitian politics" you must be joking. This guy hasn't been "eaten alive" by the forces that control the record and movie industries where he's proven to be very successful. He's been swimming in a much larger and scarier pond than "Haitian politics" for years.

This is a guy who could inspire a mass migration back to Haiti of people who are separated by a generation from their birthright, well educated and adept at 1st World business practices.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dread, I think it would be a great inspiration for the Diaspora to be more involved with their island.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Wyclef

I honestly wish him the best of luck! He will sure need it, being an outsider should play in his favor. Hopefully, he will think outside of box of past/current political leadership in Haiti.

What is good for Haiti, is fantastic for DR. The sooner that country becomes a viable state the better.

Moderadora đŸ‡¨đŸ‡º
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Haiti needs a radical change- algo positivo para Haití...

I also support change in terms of getting a Haitian leader from the Diaspora. There are many capable, educated and successful Haitians with good leadership skills and know-how who currently are leaders in their communities abroad namely Montreal, New York and Miami.

If Wyclef Jean believes he has what it takes to lead the country in a forward direction, I say give him all the encouragement he can get. His involvement in the NGO aid gives him insight to the state of affairs and the fact that he's from the 'outside' means he can bring a much needed change of leadership and perspective to a nation's politics that has failed for decades.

I do think it will be a tremendous challenge for the possible young leader as it would for anyone one taking on such a task. However, Haiti needs a radical shake up and this unexpected possible leader may be a pleasant surprise for the country.

Here's a brief article from the Montreal Gazette (a city with the third largest Haitian Diaspora after Miami and NYC)

Wyclef Jean won't rule out Haiti presidential run

Here's a link to a thread about the Diaspora I poster earlier this year:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/haiti-eart...-montreal.html

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

He's had trouble running his charity. But hey... he's famous, so he must be the right man for the job!

Wonder how he'll get around the residency requirement?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I see no natural candidates.

In the absence of any obvious choices then The Clef could make a good fall-guy.
    He could easily be the consummate "comedian".
    Remember this election is not about politics or change - it is about money and protecting long held interests.

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast