Longer than 30 days?

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

I'm a US citizen. I learned that visas are not required for stays less than 30 days. Can anyone tell me what I need to do if I need to stay in DR for
(a) about 35 days?
(b) about 90 days?

Thanks,
Jessica

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The easiest way to pay the exit fine when you leave.

If I remember correctly it is 800 pesos for overstaying 30 - 90 days. Then the fine increases to 1000 pesos for 90 days to 6 months, but I could be slightly wrong. Either way, the fine will not "break the bank".

There are a bunch of old posts about this topic.

Search the old posts for "overstaying" for example and you will get all the information you need.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

I'm a US citizen. I learned that visas are not required for stays less than 30 days. Can anyone tell me what I need to do if I need to stay in DR for
(a) about 35 days?
(b) about 90 days?

Thanks,
Jessica

Some hundred peso bills left when u go to the airport... Search for overstay fees...

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
I'v read in multiple places that:

On arrival holders of an official residence permit issued by the U.S.A., Canada or a European Union country will be issued a Tourist Card for a stay of max 30 days. Fee: US$10.00
An extension is possible for a stay of 90 days for a fee of DOP 62.40.

Isn't this a cheaper route, than paying for a fine for overstaying?

E

engineerfg

It is 'cheaper' if you don't value your time... you have 3 options:

1. Go to the correct office before you depart. wait in line for god knows how long. pay the fee. the fee schedule is online. located here: Direccion General de Migracion under Tarifas. about 800 pesos (or about 20 bucks).

2. Go to the airport the day of your departure. Print the above webpage - just in case the customs official tries to hustle you and asks for more money. Pay the same fee one the way out at the airport.

3. Do as 2, but don't pull anything out (ie. money, or a print out of the tarrifas) unless they actually notice you have over stayed. The past 2 times that I've overstayed, the customs officials are so sleepy and careless, they just rubber stamp you. IT helps to smile and be at LEAST as handsome as me! ;) IF they ask about your entry date etc, then you pull out the tarrif and pay.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Thanks. This was very useful. I think I'll try #3, but be prepared for 2 as you've recommended.

Jessica

Reactions: mike l

Teo6501

Aug 14, 2006
what is required to stay in the DR more then 30 days?

To start you do in fact get a visa when you go to the DR. It is called a visitor card and it is good for 15 days. You pay $10.00 US for it before going thru customs. If you stay longer then that time it is no big deal. You just have to pay to leave. You can find online what the fee is for staying over. It is not very much. I have over stayed my inital 15 day visitors card many times. I have never paid more then $30.00 US about 1000 pesos for or less. google it

Reactions: mike l and wuarhat

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
This is my interpretation of the "Ventanilla Extranjeria" chart on the website of the Direccion General de Migracion.

You get 30 days from the date of your entry on the tourist card for USD$10.

Then....31 through 90 days will cost you $RD800

91 to 270 days will cost you $RD1000

271 to 365 days.....$RD2500

366 days to 545 days.....$RD4000

This is my interpretation of their rather vague attempt to define the penalties....

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Direccion General de Migracion

Reactions: mike l

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes,
when overstaying the 30 days allowance of the Vistors/turist Visa you pay the above mentioned fine when leaving at the Airport.
but you guys always forget a very important simple little point/Fact:
from Day 31 til the Day you leave at the airport/pay your overstaying Fee, during this Time Period you are legally a Alien, means Your Immigrations Status in the Country is named Illegal.
what effects that has ?
on most visitors absolutely nothing, b/c they simply have a good time, don't get involved in any trouble or accidents, so no effects.
at the moment something "Happens" you have to Deal with the upcoming trouble as a Illegal Immigrations Status, and I saw often enough that such status is anything but helpful for the often not even Spanish speaking floks, when dealing with Locals and Authorities after a simple minor Accident, or getting in a lil trouble at a public place.
from Day 31 on you are also not allowed to drive any vehicle here, nor covered by any insurance.
most Visitors will also find in the fineprint of their Travel insurances that such Insurances do not cover the Person that is under a Illegal Immigrations Status, so medic costs wise such lil details can come out very costy.
but for most it is simply nothing,
enjoy a free Islandlife, advice visitors to "do it the lazy easy way",
and have Fun
Mike

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
yes,
when overstaying the 30 days allowance of the Vistors/turist Visa you pay the above mentioned fine when leaving at the Airport.
but you guys always forget a very important simple little point/Fact:
from Day 31 til the Day you leave at the airport/pay your overstaying Fee, during this Time Period you are legally a Alien, means Your Immigrations Status in the Country is named Illegal.
what effects that has ?
on most visitors absolutely nothing, b/c they simply have a good time, don't get involved in any trouble or accidents, so no effects.
at the moment something "Happens" you have to Deal with the upcoming trouble as a Illegal Immigrations Status, and I saw often enough that such status is anything but helpful for the often not even Spanish speaking floks, when dealing with Locals and Authorities after a simple minor Accident, or getting in a lil trouble at a public place.
from Day 31 on you are also not allowed to drive any vehicle here, nor covered by any insurance.
most Visitors will also find in the fineprint of their Travel insurances that such Insurances do not cover the Person that is under a Illegal Immigrations Status, so medic costs wise such lil details can come out very costy.
but for most it is simply nothing,
enjoy a free Islandlife, advice visitors to "do it the lazy easy way",
and have Fun
Mike

A very good and well thought piece of advice!

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
I?we got one question about the entry and overstay fee. Do I have to pay it in USD? If so, can I withdrav USD an ATM at the airport?

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
OK, tanks. I?m comming down there in a week. Just needed to know if I had to stock up with some USD before I come.
PS: I?m some countries one can withdraw different currensies, therefore I asked.