Definition of "Electrodomesticos"

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Following this email I got from one of my mail forwarders today.....
?Importante!
Nueva Ley D.G.A.

Para Todos Nuestros Clientes:

El 21 de Junio del a?o en curso, la D.G.A. emiti? una nueva ley en el Art?culo No. 2 de la Ley No. 04-07.

Esta ley proh?be la importaci?n de electrodom?sticos usados, que ser?n reembarcados o confiscados por la D.G.A.

Les hacemos la aclaraci?n:
S? se puede seguir importando electrodom?sticos nuevos, pero no si han sido usado anteriormente.

As? mismo, nos informaron que la asociaci?n de Consolidadores y Mudanceros est?n apelando esta medida, pero hasta el momento queda prohibido por ley la importaci?n de electrodom?sticos usados.

Los mantendremos informado sobre el asunto,

Cordialmente,

-La Administraci?n

What is an "electrodomestico" then?

Is this the end of buying electrical equipment through ebay in this country?

Is a refurbished/2nd computer classified as used?

Will be interesting to see....and be warned everyone....I'm sure that when they have the choice of sending it back or "confiscating" it, I'm sure we know what will happen........

Reactions: windeguy

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I can't find any news related to the used appliances prohibition by aduanas in DR.
Don't worry about that this people are not crazy to do that as they will become to be the most hated government in the historic of DR.
They almost are....
Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this would be the end of buying take out appliances from apartment complexes...and would mean the end of a lot of money for the Customs...

I was told that Customs increased the fees that they charged on a refrigerator to over 10000 pesos, which effectively removes these items from the market...You can buy a new one here cheaper...

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
All I see in their website is a new law prohibiting the LPG used tanks to be imported.
I hope someone made a mistake.

JJ

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
?Am I correct in trying to read that law, that it only applies to "USED" Electrodomesticos?

Don

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
This was cleverly wrapped into the law against 5yr vehicle imports as a off the cuff remark after the meat of the law.

Clever, but this is not opinion, this is law. I'm just seeing if anyone can clarify the scope.

Sorry.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
However, Hillbilly made a point that customs really upped the duty on new refrigerators as well It appears that very few people who need a new refrigerator will be able to afford to keep their food cold with an additional over 10,000 peso cost for a refrigerator.

With the government increasing the costs on everything they possibly can, maybe they will someday price themselves out of business.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
When will Leonel and his cronies understand that Customs is seriously holding this country back?

If I was in power I would abolish all duty on everything except vehicles. That would mean that there would be serious competition in the marketplace and not having to settle with over inflated prices for quality goods or Chinese crap.

How much of the revenue collected by Aduanas actually goes into the country's coffers? How much does the Aduanas department cost to run? I reckon if you disbanded it and studied the loss of revenue versus the expense of the department I bet there wouldn't be much left for the country!

Now, my reason for not exempting vehicles is that if they got too cheap, then everyone would have one. This country's roads could not take it, especially with the majority of Dominican's driving habits.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
In most Latin American law, "electrodomesticos" refers to electrical household appliances, and usually does NOT include computers, televisions, stereos, DVD players, other home entertainment equipment (these are usually classified as electronics, although computers and peripherals can be classified as informatics).

I believe the same is true for customs classifications, which would be the relevant law here. This term refers to things like refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers, air conditioners, microwaves, ovens, stoves, and if it includes "small" electrodomesticos, it would include such as vacuum cleaners, blenders, coffee makers, clothes irons, toasters, hair dryers, electric shavers, etc.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, not I'm not as certain. :paranoid: I just found a DR customs brochure talking about zero tariff classifications under DR-CAFTA which includes under the rubric "electrodomesticos" television sets, cellular phones, phone answering machines, digital cameras, videocameras, and CD/DVD recorders/players. Now I'm wondering if this just sloppy categorization in a brochure, or if DR tariff categories really classifiy these items as appliances rather than electronics...

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Para Todos Nuestros Clientes:

A partir del 30 de Julio del a?o 2010, no se podr? importar electrodom?sticos del hogar que tengan m?s de cinco (5) a?os de uso, como son: Televisiones, microondas, licuadoras, batidoras, lavadoras, tostadoras, etc...

Sin embargo, S? se puede seguir trayendo equipos electr?nicos usados que NO son del hogar, como son: Equipos m?dicos, lap tops, c?maras, computadoras, nintendos, etc...

Seguiremos inform?ndoles
sobre el tema,

Cordialmente,

-La Administraci?n

Ok, seems they caused a panic yesterday. However, they state (for those not great with Spanish)

TVs, liquifiers, mixers, microwaves, toasters etc... are OUT

Medical equipment, laptops, cameras, computers, games consoles are OK.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Just reading a little more on this, and turns up this "Law" has been around for 3 and a half years and they're only just starting to enforce...

Then again the same happened with the smoking ban which was in for a similar period before it actually got clamped down on.

Jan 9, 2004
Not to worry....

Well, not I'm not as certain. :paranoid: I just found a DR customs brochure talking about zero tariff classifications under DR-CAFTA which includes under the rubric "electrodomesticos" television sets, cellular phones, phone answering machines, digital cameras, videocameras, and CD/DVD recorders/players. Now I'm wondering if this just sloppy categorization in a brochure, or if DR tariff categories really classifiy these items as appliances rather than electronics...

I don't believe any of your mentioned items are manufactured in any of the DR-CAFTA countries....so as to be allowed in with no tariffs.

What good is a zero tariff product......if none qualify? Perhaps they thought they could jumpstart an electronics industry by offering zero tariffs.;)

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How would this law affect the one duty-free 40' container of personal items to new residents?

Everything I own I'm bringing down is "used"; however, it's for my personal use.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
How would this law affect the one duty-free 40' container of personal items to new residents?

Everything I own I'm bringing down is "used"; however, it's for my personal use.

If you're talking about the one-time customs exemption for new residents in the DR, I'm sure I have read that this law does not apply in that case.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just making sure before the trigger is pulled, thanks.;)